You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Forum changes

209 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles

We have gone from a binary  upvote or nothing to five new "reactions." However, I'm not sure that these are all that relevant, especially for a group of adults.

There is a world of difference between agreeing with a poster's conclusion and thinking the post "cool." Just as disagreeing with a poster's argument doesn't necessarily make said argument or post "bad."  And what is the "boring" icon for? The children who inhabit some of the more immature gaming forums would probably rate most of the world's scientific and engineering correspondence as "boring." However, that doesn't necessarily mean said correspondence is not highly important. Now, I can see why a post might be rated as "funny" but what does "angry" mean? Is the responder angry at the post or just angry in general and has just found a button to push in order to express his ire? Also, if there is an "angry" vote should there not also be "calm," "happy," "sad," etc. votes? All are just emotions that the reader is feeling at the time.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 3

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
793 posts
2,819 battles

Reddit gets a chat feature, the forums get facebook like reaction emotes. Why the hell do all sites think they need to be like FB nobody likes FB except old people. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Members
763 posts
15,831 battles

Coders don't keep their job by leaving code alone.

Also, face it: We live in a time where new... ANYTHING new... is preferable to old... I mean, look at the NEW DD line. Junk, but new, so....

• Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles
Just now, gcangel82 said:

Kind of liked the site the way it was.  Simple is good.

I agree. But what "reaction" do I use? I suppose "cool" is the closest representation of a general upvote, so one "cool" for you.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

Does the new 'thumbs up' emoji still increase the poster's forum reputation?  If so, does that mean 'thumbs down' reduces it?  Are down votes a thing again?  Do the other emojis affect said reputation?

I'm so confused!  :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

Your post is good . I agree...

but according to the forums, the only way to convey that is "cool" 

F U forums, everything good or likey is def not COOL:Smile-angry:

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles
9 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Does the new 'thumbs up' emoji still increase the poster's forum reputation?  If so, does that mean 'thumbs down' reduces it?  Are down votes a thing again?  Do the other emojis affect said reputation?

I'm so confused!  :Smile_ohmy:

OK, I just used your post as a "guinea pig" and found that "cool" and "funny" increased your reputation but "angry" and "bad" didn't decrease it.

Oh, yes, "boring" didn't seem to do anything either.

Edited by Snargfargle

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,143 battles

Simple question.  If the forums exist for the community, then why change them without asking the user base for input?

I understand change is inevitable, but what was wrong with the most recent iteration?

B

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles

It's like Lexus making all it's grilles now look like insect faces. Nobody I know likes them but someone at the company obviously did. I've been on other forums that changed. The owners never asked for input on those either. Posters eventually got used to the new look though.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
8 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

Simple question.  If the forums exist for the community, then why change them without asking the user base for input?

I understand change is inevitable, but what was wrong with the most recent iteration?

B

I for one, do not like that the upvote button has been replaced with a kindergarten cartoon.

Or that I get this everywhere.

h3684dL.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

I would just like to be able to shut off the ships wall paper, it is driving this work computer nuts.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

It's not going to change my use of the forums... but I have to say the smiley emoji looks childish. And a little creepy- with those dilated pupils and pillow dude climbing up the side of his face. 

Seriously, looks kind of like a white starfish climbing up his face. I can't unsee it now...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
3 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I for one, do not like that the upvote button has been replaced with a kindergarten cartoon.

Or that I get this everywhere.

h3684dL.jpg

Yea, I get the feeling we are being herded towards Anime and cartoons myself

• Cool 2

[CRMSN]
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

I despise this layout. 

The first iteration of the forums was the best.

The 2nd update was okay, because the extra features rocked. But the layout took a turn for the worse...

This layout? mannn talk about being cluttered. I really don't like it. The Dark theme is okay. But i am all about minimalism and ease of use. This new layout just makes my head hurt.. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

Being a WOT CBT,  I do not like this new change.

1. I view forums on my mobile phone using desktop version.

2. The increase in data usage as background screen loads with each scroling down is going to be bad.

3. Why put a ship behind text that we cannot see, then put black on top.

4. I am not a TWEEN, I could care less for the emotes.

Sometimes familiar and old can lead to TRADITIONS....

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
15 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

B

They are constantly breaking things that were working perfectly fine before.

Too many WG staff have nothing better to do than waste time and money on useless and unwanted projects. I guess they have to try to justify the need for their own employment ... even if its by wasting time on things like this.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles

Some programmers at WG must have been feeling the "need" to change something to keep their jobs.

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles
2 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I des

This layout? mannn talk about being cluttered. I really don't like it. The Dark theme is okay. But i am all about minimalism and ease of use. This new layout just makes my head hurt.. 

I'm just zooming in until the text area fills the entire screen. Makes it easier for me to read it too.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Holy forum remodel batman! 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 minute ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Some programmers at WG must have been feeling the "need" to change something to keep their jobs.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1