Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Deepwater Torpedoes

5 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Was playing in my new Longjiang in co-op because the server population was low, and there was a AI destroyer sitting still >5 km from me. Lay my torps, and to my surprise they missed! Circle back around and try again at point blank range and I see that they are going under him. I also had this occur earlier in a random game, except the roles were reversed and the torps went under me. Some quick google ninja skills and I learned that there is torpedoes and deepwater torpedoes. 

Am I correct in saying that deepwater torpedoes are crazy hard to detect, but at the cost of missing ships? Are their damage numbers the same as their dreaded counterpart?

I know there is no way to tell if you can hit someone or not without memorizing stats and/or testing it out, but is there a general rule of thumb for targets of deepwater torpedoes? Also is it just the Pan-Asia that gets it or do other countries see them. This is all totally new to me as I have played exclusively battleships for a very long time.

Thanks!

[O_O]
Members
4,398 posts
9,515 battles

Only the Pan Asian destroyers have deep water torpedoes.  Deep water torpedoes CANNOT hit destroyers, as they don't sit deep enough in the water.  However, you can still be hit by regular torpedoes from destroyers of other nations.

You are correct in that deep water torpedoes have a lower detection range, and they do more damage to cruisers and battleships than regular torpedoes.

When you are aiming your deep water torpedoes at other destroyers, you should have a warning on screen that you cannot hit the target.

If you look closely at incoming torpedoes you will notice there are different icons for deep water torps and regular torps.  As a cruiser or battleship captain you will want to avoid them all, obviously.  But, as a destroyer captain you can disregard the deep water torps as they are harmless to you.

[TBOW]
Members
1,249 posts
10,669 battles

Deep Water Torpedos are good only on Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers.  If you are used to torping other DDs forget it you can't with a Pan Asian DD.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,304 posts
6,575 battles
47 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Only the Pan Asian destroyers have deep water torpedoes. 

47 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

Deep Water Torpedos are good only on Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers.  If you are used to torping other DDs forget it you can't with a Pan Asian DD.

While These Statements are correct, always remember that the two Premium Pan-Asian Destroyers, the Anshan and the LoYang, still use regular Torpedoes that can hit Destroyers.

[TBOW]
Members
1,249 posts
10,669 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

While These Statements are correct, always remember that the two Premium Pan-Asian Destroyers, the Anshan and the LoYang, still use regular Torpedoes that can hit Destroyers.

Good point, forgot about those 2 and I use both of them.

Sign in to follow this