Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Yes the unthinkable "DETONATION" can happen..

22 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I was pretty much dead here..  burning with 3 fires..no HP..  pretty much ready to die.  I just saw the "detonation" gold tag in chat.  But it can happen.  Det the GK. 

Aymrfzp6_o.jpg

• Boring 1

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,968 battles

Well at least it wasn’t on the early start of the game :p 

3 fires, no HP it was for the person who detonated you an useless detonation :p

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

When I was in the Artillery, our powder and shells were always dispersed over a fairly wide area so that one stray spark couldn't explode everything. I know that ships have structures and procedures in place to isolate their powder and shells but a warship as a whole, with all its armaments and fuel, is pretty much one big bomb waiting to go off. I don't think I'd sleep very good at night if I had to live on one of them.  

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
3 hours ago, Lionel92 said:

Well at least it wasn’t on the early start of the game :p 

3 fires, no HP it was for the person who detonated you an useless detonation :p

Quite a ways back, I detonated a Molotov on a blind (shooting over islands) snap shot on the very first volley fired in the entire match. I doubt we were even 1 minute into play at that point. The poor guy. When that happens all you can do is shrug and move on. 

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,375 battles

I don't mind a near death detonation.  Any shot would probably finish you off anyway.  Its the full health detonations that hurt you and your team.  I got one of those over the weekend.  Got fired on in my DD.  Avoided the shot, but it was close enough to detonate my DD from full health.  Grrrrr.  Took my 10 flags and left.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
47 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I don't mind a near death detonation.  Any shot would probably finish you off anyway.  Its the full health detonations that hurt you and your team.  I got one of those over the weekend.  Got fired on in my DD.  Avoided the shot, but it was close enough to detonate my DD from full health.  Grrrrr.  Took my 10 flags and left.

Agree 100%.   I saw the salvo coming in and figured I was done for at that point anyway.  In fact I would have been.  The Det was just a silly folly that occurred.   I figured it was noteworthy though because it COULD have happened at any time and here is a little proof for those that bemoan the KM BB line armor as being OP.   We are not invincible or immune.  :) 

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,375 battles
11 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

Been detonated by torpedo in my GK, was about half hp when it happened....

I had that happen in one of my BBs a couple of weeks ago.  I can't remember if it was my FDG, or my Missouri, but it was a Tier 9 BB and a single torp detonated me from full health.  Those are hard to swallow.  When you lose a large capital ship without giving it a chance to damage other ships, or tank damage for your team, it is hard on your team.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
29 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

Had that happen awhile back..maybe a year ago or so.   Fairly early in the game and a long range torp wall was coming at me.  I turned into it fully knowing I was going to suck one on the bow, but really didn't pay much mind as I can take a single hit and keep on rolling without much worry.  Not that time.  Det'ed out early.    Like Murcc said, that was a hard one to swallow. 

[R0FL]
Beta Testers
398 posts
9,776 battles

I got a Bismarck with a Detonation with a torp a couple weeks ago.  He was at full HP and just went "Boom."  He took it well....I remember I freaked out when it happened to me in my very first Kongo game.  Proudly heading back to defend a push on the far flank, nearly undamaged, and then....catastrophe!  I was horrified and indignant and irate....it's only become funny with distance.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,088 posts
14,482 battles
3 hours ago, DemonGod3 said:

If a BB detonates in this game, torps tend to be the biggest culprits by far.  I still remember the first bit of major damage my friend's Montana took was 1 torpedo which detonated him.  Very bad when you have a Tier X BB die very early like that as he hasn't had a chance to throw his weight around.

On the flip side, it happens a bit more to Cruisers but not significantly more.  If a good HP Cruiser dies quickly, it's typically AP multi-citadels and Devastating Strikes for the attacker.  Detonations never really become a thing for Cruisers.  DDs, OTOH, tend to eat detonations the most.  Even secondary gunfire can detonate them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles
3 hours ago, Murcc said:

I had that happen in one of my BBs a couple of weeks ago.  I can't remember if it was my FDG, or my Missouri, but it was a Tier 9 BB and a single torp detonated me from full health.  Those are hard to swallow.  When you lose a large capital ship without giving it a chance to damage other ships, or tank damage for your team, it is hard on your team.

"It's just one torp!"

*detonation*

[NUWES]
Members
1,657 posts
5,562 battles
4 hours ago, Murcc said:

I was in a full strength Arizona months ago. Took a torpedo dead center on the TDS and detonated. I was furious. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
23 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I was in a full strength Arizona months ago. Took a torpedo dead center on the TDS and detonated. I was furious. 

I just laugh at Dets.  I find them actually a funny aspect and you get a reward for it, so not like you jus get totally hosed. Not many bad things can happen that end up with you getting flags for it.  

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,525 battles

I got Detonated by 1 Single HE shell from a Cruiser in my Flint the other day.

was at 100% Hp had never been hit or spotted, a stray shell into smoke and boom.  Sadly.. was in first 3-4 min of the match.

Total Skill Shot.  Good thing its not Random to get a Detonation.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,966 battles

I detonated a Tirpitz with a torpedo spread from my Kutuzov. He was 3/4 HP at the time. 4 torps hit below the #1 and #2 turrets. I noted the devastating strike and only after the match I saw he had an award. Turned out to be detonation.

[B-K-N]
Members
30 posts
8,126 battles

My Des Moines just took an early game detonation.  I didn't hang around to find out how many credits WG screwed my out of.  I  am convinced that detonations are the idea of some higher level person at WG and anyone who dares to suggest its dumb risks losing their job.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

2wice tonight, those don't bother...

I lined up a BB just right, like I'm used too. Got nice and close around a corner. Dropped torps. and nothing. Duds. [edited].

I was Soo pissed.

Members
90 posts
2,458 battles

My favorite det was when I was in a Bogue hiding among some islands. An enemy DD came around the island and had me dead to rights and *boom*, my carriers secondaries det'd him.  He WAS NOT HAPPY.   I was like "Noooooooooooo  waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
21 hours ago, CheapWine said:

My Des Moines just took an early game detonation.  I didn't hang around to find out how many credits WG screwed my out of.  I  am convinced that detonations are the idea of some higher level person at WG and anyone who dares to suggest its dumb risks losing their job.

How is that any different from getting early deleted from a Dev Strike?  Oh..  The Det gives you 10 flags to keep it from happening again.  lol.  I can Dev Strike you any game regardless.   Please tell me why some high level person at WG would covet detonations as something that benefits them?  They get nothing from it.  So you sucked a few credits for ship repair.  You didn't pay for them.  You can earn them back in one more good game.  Aside from people that seem to take it really personal, it is truly a harmless mechanic, but yet still yields rewards for the player when it happens. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,842 posts
1,328 battles
On 12/13/2017 at 7:05 AM, DingBat said:

Quite a ways back, I detonated a Molotov on a blind (shooting over islands) snap shot on the very first volley fired in the entire match. I doubt we were even 1 minute into play at that point. The poor guy. When that happens all you can do is shrug and move on. 

I was starting a match in a Wyoming, and the only target in range at that point was a Kuma that was creeping along.  I used HE, because, well, Wyoming's 12-gun shotgun and her AP is great...inside 10km, and I was further out.  1 BB HE shell, one detonated Kuma.  It happens.  

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles
On 12/13/2017 at 7:56 AM, Snargfargle said:

When I was in the Artillery, our powder and shells were always dispersed over a fairly wide area so that one stray spark couldn't explode everything. I know that ships have structures and procedures in place to isolate their powder and shells but a warship as a whole, with all its armaments and fuel, is pretty much one big bomb waiting to go off. I don't think I'd sleep very good at night if I had to live on one of them.  

I was a sonar tech in the Can navy for a few years (in the early 80's) and our racks were above the helicopter fuel and between the torpedo reload mag on one side and 400lb ASW mortar round magazine aft. There is some comfort in knowing that if something goes very wrong, its unlikely that you'd feel it.

Ive been detonated from 100% in a FdG by a single torp hit, same with Tirpitz and a couple of times in NC.

Sign in to follow this