You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

The Pros and Cons of Standard Mode

29 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

As a destroyer main, I like Standard mode, if only because I avoid the massively increased variability inherent in the early game cap rushes in Domination mode. 

But man, teams seem to lose their minds in Standard mode. 

By my experience:

• 40% of teams can't seem to come up with any idea better than to sit near cap and "defend"
  • 40% of teams head for one or both sidelines
  • 20% of teams come up with some sort of plan

Fortunately, the strategy challenged seem to show up on both sides equally.

At least it's not Epicenter.

Edited by DingBat

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

I have to agree.  More than anything else, the primary "con" of standard mode is that no one seems to know how to play it.

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

It is easier to get into a kiting/flanking position, which is 100% superior positioning, by defending, rather than trying to push into something that is going to deflect, absorb and encircle your advancements.

Which is why I hate standard mode.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,678 posts
9,083 battles

Personally they need to bring draws back to standard battle to punish the teams that are too tentative.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
1,491 posts
14,642 battles

Standard battle sure does tend to create some rather interesting team positioning. I sorely miss the Domination caps when I'm out in my radar CA's. 

There's also the rare occasion in Standard where an enemy DD reaches an unprotected base early game and solo caps it with 3/4ths of each team still alive.

I miss bastion sometimes. Those forts were hilarious. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
25 minutes ago, DingBat said:

As a destroyer main, I like Standard mode, if only because I avoid the massively increased variability inherent in the early game cap rushes in Domination mode. 

But man, teams seem to lose their minds in Standard mode. 

By my experience:

• 40% of teams can't seem to come up with any idea better than to sit near cap and "defend"
  • 40% of teams head for one or both sidelines
  • 20% of teams come up with some sort of plan

Fortunately, the strategy challenged seem to show up on both sides equally.

At least it's not Epicenter.

I agree 100% with the first paragraph.  IMO, Standard mode is the best for stealthy torpedo boats, because there's no pressure to go to caps.  Furthermore, because there are no domination mode caps at all, the entire map is a lot more "free form".  The presence of dom mode caps creates areas that are difficult to pass through because they're often almost always defended to some degree or other.  It becomes a lot harder to flank enemies because you have these 3 or 4 caps across the middle of the area between the two teams' spawns where it's hard to find a place to work flanks and get good flanking torpedo shots, at least until losses start to open up the map a bit more.  (Of course, some of the high tier maps are so large that you can find more open space to work.)

As for the percentage points:

Defend:  This is a bad strat because you leave yourself nowhere to fall back to if the enemy starts pushing you.  IMO, it's better to push out from your cap, even when you're mostly thinking defensively.  Establish a front line as far from your base as possible because it leaves you with ground to give.  Just camping your base essentially leaves you backed into a corner, so to speak.

Heading for the sides: This is understandable because if you go to the middle, you risk taking fire from both sides.  If you work a side of the map, you're usually pretty safe from the enemy on the other side of the map.  

The most annoying thing I see with Standard mode are the teams that can see on the minimap that the enemy is about to get to your base, but refuse to turn around.  Some people refuse or can't read a damned minimap strategically speaking.  Oh, they can  read it to understand who's in their vicinity, but read it to understand where the rest of the enemy is?  To read it and understand that your other flank is about to fall or has  fallen and it's time to turn around?  No, those things are completely beyond their tiny minds.  Or maybe they'll say "I'm too slow".  Bull puckey!  If you read a minimap correctly and recognize the threat early enough, you almost always have plenty of time to turn around and get back into gun range of your base, even in the slowest USN BBs.  The problem is that too many people don't want to try.  Or they don't understand that they don't really have to get back to the base itself, but only get into GUN RANGE of the base, as long as there's someone else close enough to spot the enemy for you.  Many's the time I've recognized a flank was about to fall and I'd turn around in a slow USN BB and have more than enough time to get back to defend.  But these brain surgeons can't figure that out.

As for Epicenter, there's not a bloody thing wrong with Epicenter.  And frankly, it's those "strategy challenged" players who dislike Epicenter.   Other than Tears-Epi, it's not a bad mode at all.  All it does is keep both teams in the general vicinity of the middle of the map.  Not everyone on the epicenter.  Just close to it, where you can support your ships trying to take the cap rings or engage the enemy ships trying to do the same thing to your DDs.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
5 minutes ago, Jnobsir said:

Standard battle sure does tend to create some rather interesting team positioning. I sorely miss the Domination caps when I'm out in my radar CA's. 

There's also the rare occasion in Standard where an enemy DD reaches an unprotected base early game and solo caps it with 3/4ths of each team still alive.

I miss bastion sometimes. Those forts were hilarious. 

This is pretty rare, and usually seen on a map like Two Brothers, where the enemy team is spread out far to the edges of the map, and some observant DD sneaks up the middle.

What I like about Standard mode is how in ultra close battles, you can take a single ship and jump on the enemy cap and stop them from gaining points, but then bail out before completing the cap because  there's an enemy ship getting close and you know you can't cap out or beat that enemy ship.  But by sitting on the cap if only for a few cap point cycles, you gain a points edge and can end up winning because of a little strategic thinking and cap point denial at a critical point in the game.

Members
2,409 posts
7,727 battles

I hate standard battles. Teams in general seems to be lost. With the lack of a clear objective most teams dont know what to do.

Domination battles give a clear objective of what to do, normally someone calls AB or BC and most of the team goes there, or at least they try.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,363 posts
12,175 battles
43 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

I have to agree.  More than anything else, the primary "con" of standard mode is that no one seems to know how to play it.

Actually, I think everyone knows how to play it but no one can agree on which way is right so no teamwork.

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
15 hours ago, Xlap said:

I hate standard battles. Teams in general seems to be lost. With the lack of a clear objective most teams dont know what to do.

Domination battles give a clear objective of what to do, normally someone calls AB or BC and most of the team goes there, or at least they try.

No, normally, they'll all charge over to the outside most of the 2 caps, either A or C and ignore B.  And annoyingly often, they'll ignore the AB or BC decision and just go the "other" way without saying anything, leaving the people who followed the plan hung out to dry.  This is a reason why I hate domination mode.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,576 posts

Why are you complaining? There are a huge amount of variables in a battle, just roll with it  :D

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Actually, I think everyone knows how to play it but no one can agree on which way is right so no teamwork.

A stronger contributing factor may be the fact that different maps are best played very differently.  Most domination maps can be summed up as "take two adjacent points."  However, some standard battle maps are best played aggressively, or defensively, some mix of the two, etc.  In many cases, the side of the map on which you spawn will determine how you're "meant" to play a standard battle.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
9 hours ago, Crucis said:

As for Epicenter, there's not a bloody thing wrong with Epicenter.  And frankly, it's those "strategy challenged" players who dislike Epicenter.   Other than Tears-Epi, it's not a bad mode at all.  All it does is keep both teams in the general vicinity of the middle of the map.  Not everyone on the epicenter.  Just close to it, where you can support your ships trying to take the cap rings or engage the enemy ships trying to do the same thing to your DDs.

Well, I don't think I'm strategy challenged. But at the same time I would admit that most of my dislike of epicenter is caused by Tears. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I've found that I get general buy in with the strategy of playing defensively until we have a decisive advantage in numbers. Certainly, there are always people who want to do it their own way... the idea is to have fewer of those on your team who know they will push when the time is right. 

It's when small overextended pockets of ships start wading far across the F or A-1 diagonal line that your defensive clusters get an edge. Knock 2-3 ships down and you're getting into push territory and it's time to get into the starting blocks.

Knock 4-5 ships out and you're in full flood mode. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
4 hours ago, DingBat said:

Well, I don't think I'm strategy challenged. But at the same time I would admit that most of my dislike of epicenter is caused by Tears. 

And that's entirely fair, DingBat.  Tears-Epi as it currently exists is a terrible map-mode combination.  Epicenter on  Tears takes everything bad about that map and amplifies it.  Everything is in the worst location, the center cap and the spawns.  But as I've repeatedly said, if they were to move the spawns from the NW/SE to the NE/SW, this could change the entire dynamic of Tears-Epicenter.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
41 posts
2,342 battles

Being a fairly new-ish player is there a guide or discussion somewhere where that talks about the Pros and Cons of each map?  It would be something interesting to learn about.

I understand that there will always be players that will do it "their way" and will there will not be player base wide agreement on what is the best, but I thought I would ask.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles

I prefer standard mode. Now I'm not tied down to fighting for specific parts of the map and I have now more freedom of movement.

• Cool 3

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
7,782 battles

I honestly don't know what to do when it comes to standard battle, most of the time I sail around aimlessly until I need to run back to cap to defend.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,599 battles
9 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I prefer standard mode. Now I'm not tied down to fighting for specific parts of the map and I have now more freedom of movement.

Well said.

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
2 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

I agree with this for the same reason.  I like the freedom of movement, particularly when I'm playing stealthy torp DD. 

Also, certain maps don't even have a standard mode, only domination, and there's very little freedom of movement because there are so many damned islands that seem positioned in a way to channel everyone into those general cap areas.  Ocean is an obvious exception to this, as there's complete freedom of movement in spite of it being domination only.  Another reason why Ocean is the best map in the game!

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Standard Battle

Pros:

* Anytime it's over

* It is currently a top 3 game mode, respectifully in 3rd place.

* Being able to quickly dismiss the value of people's opinions based on just how much they love Standard Battle

Cons:

* Pretty much everything

* That time you won and were still half sane at the end of the battle

[SALVO]
Members
17,099 posts
17,769 battles
2 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

I honestly don't know what to do when it comes to standard battle, most of the time I sail around aimlessly until I need to run back to cap to defend.

Jeez, I'd think that a unicum would have a pretty solid idea what to do.  None of these maps are exactly rocket science.  Pick a side and support it.  Hopefully you don't end up with a team the lemmings to one side of the other.

I often don't mind too terribly fighting on the weak side, as long as there's enough people with me and they're not total wusses that just plain run away.  In my experience, a smaller force can slow down a larger force if it's willing to fight an intelligent, fighting withdrawal. I think that it usually helps to have 1 pretty quick BB (fast enough that it can't be easily overhauled), 1 kiting cruiser to get things burning and help finish off enemy cripples, and 1 stealthy torp DD who can occasionally spam torps at the leading enemy ships to force them to evade the torps and slow their advance.  With those 3 types of ships covered and perhaps one more, you can do a good job of delaying an enemy advance long enough for either your team to push to the enemy cap and take it, or to turn around get back to help you crush the advancing but delayed enemy as they get closer to your base.  Personally, I prefer that ships return to help me, because the advancing enemy often if not usually gets a bit strong out in the headlong charge, giving you and the returning team mates a chance to crush them piece meal.