You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DaveNewbie

another Newbie here

46 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
1,556 battles

I'm new to World of Warships... duh. :cap_hmm:

I'm originally from New England, born and raised in Connecticut (must be, who else can spell it), lived there and then New Jersey and Massachusetts while out working to make a living, then moved to the Southeast (for work and to be near my parents and wife's brother) to South Carolina, then Eastern Tennessee and now North Carolina (Western, near Blue Ridge Mountains... beautiful).  In Connecticut, I lived near and on the coast (parents had a beachfront house while I was going to college) and am familiar with boating, although obviously not on this scale.  I am now a retired mechanical engineer :cap_old: and spend my time with Fantasy Football (0.520 record) and Fantasy Baseball, my oldest and truest love.  I've been playing Fantasy Baseball for over 25 years, the last 15 or 20 online.  Record?  I've have to look in detail, but I win (a lot) more than I loose.  I have won the World Series of Fantasy in my leagues something like 7 or 8 times (lost it 2 or 3 times), 6 in the current online league I'm in for the 8 years I've played there.  They don't like me very much. :cap_like: I have been nearly always in the playoffs over the years and, with the exception of my very first year, always above 0.500... sometimes as high as mid 0.600's and higher.  Baseball is a very numbers / statistic intensive game to analyze.  I have been keeping a spreadsheet forecasting playes' statistics since the second year of play.  I'm good at numbers, hence, good at Fantasy Baseball. :cap_yes:

I've been looking for a real time waring game that I might like and have tried a few without finding anything to hold my interest until now. WoT was horrible... for me, at least.  WoW has been fun so far, although I'm trying to do it without spending (much if any) real money.  I know that may be difficult.  The only other waring game I liked well enough to play a second "season" with I wound up paying around $20/$25 a month to stay competitive and our team came in 2nd or 3rd.  But that was a land game and more a game of building cities and armies.  Not really my fave thing.  I like going out and blowing thiings up (or getting blown up), but not first-person shooter games.

I've been on 40 or so Random Battles using Erie and Chester and am doing "okay".  My profile is at Level 7 or 8 and I have almost 6 million "credits".  Now I'm trying to buy a higher end Cruiser (Level 4, 5 or 6) and am having trouble figuring out how to Research all the previous ships so I can Buy the Ship I want.  Where do I go to get help on doing that?

Look forward to seeing/hearing from all ya'all (Southern for the plural "you" which is a way nicer way of expressing it than New England/NYC "yous" which doesn't exist anyway).

Edited by DaveNewbie
  • Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

holy smokes, you even put "newbie" in your IGN, I'm impressed! 

Welcome to the forums my friend! Most of us don't bite, but do be wary of the occasional salty sailor. 

I wish you god speed and fair winds, enjoy your time here with us. 

Peace! 

[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,302 battles

Hi Dave and welcome. 

Sadly, you have to work your way up the tech tree with both experience AND money. So, you have to use XP to "research" advanced hulls (and guns, and torps, and engines) of the ship you are on.  And then you can research the next ship up the line. Do the same thing for that one... over and over until you get to the ship you want. 

There are arrows (very faint) in the module section for each ship. You can follow the quickest path to the next ship, but you give up some nice features of the current ship. 

You can use "Free XP" to skip some of that. 

However, use the lower tier ships to learn. When you get to the higher tier ships you'll be ready. Don't be like some people with Tier 6, 7 or even 9 ships and only have a few hundred battles. You really need a few thousand battles to understand all the different pieces. 

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,820 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, Lord Zath Replay Theater and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

P.s.s Its totally possible to play this game with out spending a dime. Focus on two or 3 ships at a time and don't be in a rush to blitz up the line. You can get a bunch of goodies just by playing the game. Premium consumables can be bought with silver. The game will throw flags, signal flags and camos at you. WG frequently gives out premium ships just for playing through missions or campaigns. Heck you can even get mid to high tier ship with premium camos for playing the game and not spending those $$. I've got several really good premium ships I've won or earned. So just play, have fun, get gud [sorry had to include it lol] and you'll be half way to having a decent fleet of badass ships. 

[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles

Dave'Newbie'...welcome. 

..."and one day, you'll be DaveNewbie, WoWS vet.  Then you should change your name to DaveKickinAsss."

Upvote to the first who posts a vid of the reference...

• Cool 1

Members
3,797 posts
14,092 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, Lord Zath Replay Theater and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

P.s.s Its totally possible to play this game with out spending a dime. Focus on two or 3 ships at a time and don't be in a rush to blitz up the line. You can get a bunch of goodies just by playing the game. Premium consumables can be bought with silver. The game will throw flags, signal flags and camos at you. WG frequently gives out premium ships just for playing through missions or campaigns. Heck you can even get mid to high tier ship with premium camos for playing the game and not spending those $$. I've got several really good premium ships I've won or earned. So just play, have fun, get gud [sorry had to include it lol] and you'll be half way to having a decent fleet of badass ships. 

What he said^ RedSeaBear gives good advice. :Smile_great: 

Are you planning to continue driving Cruisers? Kinda tough to play but very versatile ships.

BTW, it aint "ya-all". It's "y'all" You need to pronounce it right or you might be mistaken for a Yankee. Oh, wait... :cap_hmm:

Anyway, welcome aboard, have fun, and may your opponent's aim be as true as a politician's promise! 

Edited by ReddNekk

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Welcome!  I started in cruisers, but played quite a few early games in battleships, as well.  They are not invincible by any means, but they can take more of a beating and weather a mistake or two in a match that a cruiser cannot.  You might want to pick one line in each and see which style you like the best.

Good luck!

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
6 hours ago, DaveNewbie said:

I'm new to World of Warships... duh. :cap_hmm:

I'm originally from New England, born and raised in Connecticut (must be, who else can spell it), lived there and then New Jersey and Massachusetts while out working to make a living, then moved to the Southeast (for work and to be near my parents and wife's brother) to South Carolina, then Eastern Tennessee and now North Carolina (Western, near Blue Ridge Mountains... beautiful).  In Connecticut, I lived near and on the coast (parents had a beachfront house while I was going to college) and am familiar with boating, although obviously not on this scale.  I am now a retired mechanical engineer :cap_old: and spend my time with Fantasy Football (0.520 record) and Fantasy Baseball, my oldest and truest love.  I've been playing Fantasy Baseball for over 25 years, the last 15 or 20 online.  Record?  I've have to look in detail, but I win (a lot) more than I loose.  I have won the World Series of Fantasy in my leagues something like 7 or 8 times (lost it 2 or 3 times), 6 in the current online league I'm in for the 8 years I've played there.  They don't like me very much. :cap_like: I have been nearly always in the playoffs over the years and, with the exception of my very first year, always above 0.500... sometimes as high as mid 0.600's and higher.  Baseball is a very numbers / statistic intensive game to analyze.  I have been keeping a spreadsheet forecasting playes' statistics since the second year of play.  I'm good at numbers, hence, good at Fantasy Baseball. :cap_yes:

I've been looking for a real time waring game that I might like and have tried a few without finding anything to hold my interest until now. WoT was horrible... for me, at least.  WoW has been fun so far, although I'm trying to do it without spending (much if any) real money.  I know that may be difficult.  The only other waring game I liked well enough to play a second "season" with I wound up paying around $20/$25 a month to stay competitive and our team came in 2nd or 3rd.  But that was a land game and more a game of building cities and armies.  Not really my fave thing.  I like going out and blowing thiings up (or getting blown up), but not first-person shooter games.

I've been on 40 or so Random Battles using Erie and Chester and am doing "okay".  My profile is at Level 7 or 8 and I have almost 6 million "credits".  Now I'm trying to buy a higher end Cruiser (Level 4, 5 or 6) and am having trouble figuring out how to Research all the previous ships so I can Buy the Ship I want.  Where do I go to get help on doing that?

Look forward to seeing/hearing from all ya'all (Southern for the plural "you" which is a way nicer way of expressing it than New England/NYC "yous" which doesn't exist anyway).

Welcome!

Others have answered your questions, but if you want someone to division (ie, platoon) with, feel free to send me an in-game message.  If I'm online, I'll join you!

1,266 posts
13 battles

Welcome to the forums! I enjoyed reading your introduction post. Where did you live in South Carolina when you moved there? Only asking because I live there. :)

Members
23 posts
1,556 battles
On 12/13/2017 at 6:28 PM, Jazzyblaster said:

Welcome to the forums! I enjoyed reading your introduction post. Where did you live in South Carolina when you moved there? Only asking because I live there. :)

Being an engineer, which has become close to being an itinerant worker in today's economy (think Temp with big bucks [an aside here, I even ran across a Temp doctor a few years ago]), I originally moved to Greenville (hoping to hook up with the then new BMW plant or GE engines there as well as being close to my paretns), then Rock Hill, then Aiken (lovely old town).  Then I spent five years in Eastern Tennessee and then returned to Rock Hill for a second time.  We liked South Carolina very much, lovely, friendly people; the whole Southeast really.  We moved to Charlotte, NC to be close to my parents while they were still living in Fort Mill, SC... had trouble finding housing in SC at that time. 

Now with them gone we moved to extremely inexpensive housing in the recently vacated (5 years ago) furniture capital of the world... USA at the very least.  They lost about 20% of their population almost overnight.  Housing prices are still very depressed in this area.  I'd be embarrassed to say what I paid for our house, but it had been foreclosed on, sat empty for a year or two after having the entire electrical system and hot water heater updated and the bank was offering it at an attractive price to get rid of it.  I offered barely over 2/3 of the bank's asking price and... they took it! :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by DaveNewbie
  • Cool 1

Members
23 posts
1,556 battles
On 12/12/2017 at 10:43 PM, delp5117 said:

Welcome!  I started in cruisers, but played quite a few early games in battleships, as well.  They are not invincible by any means, but they can take more of a beating and weather a mistake or two in a match that a cruiser cannot.  You might want to pick one line in each and see which style you like the best.

Good luck!

I was thinking of staying with Cruisers.  I agree they look very very versatile, for as much as I know as a newbie.  I have diversified though.  I now have a Battleship that is very, VERY slow (Tier III South Carolina,18 knots Top Speed), but easy to play.  Stay far away.  Lob shells at the enemy.  Keep replenishing Health Points (the acronym of HP being confusing with Hit Points) and avoid Torpedoes.  Love the AP hits to the Citadel. :Smile_medal:   I also have a Destroyer now, the German V-25, Tier II as well.   I'm still trying to figure out how to use Torpedoes, but I love the speed, the only boat I ever actually owned myself being a Racing Shell. :Smile_teethhappy:   Along that line, I also got myself the USA Tier IV Phoenix (my RL last name) and greatly enjoy the speed of that for a Cruiser, although not the lack of armor.  It can also fire Torpedoes, so once I learn them on the V-25 (should be easy since Detection Range is 5.2km and Torpedo Range is 6.0km) I can use them on the Phoenix.

• Cool 1

1,266 posts
13 battles
12 minutes ago, DaveNewbie said:

Being an engineer, which has become close to being an itinerant worker in today's economy (think Temp with big bucks [an aside here, I even ran across a Temp doctor a few years ago]), I originally moved to Greenville (hoping to hook up with the then new BMW plant or GE engines there as well as being close to my paretns), then Rock Hill, then Aiken (lovely old town).  Then I spent five years in Eastern Tennessee and then returned to Rock Hill for a second time.  We liked South Carolina very much.  We moved to Charlotte, NC to be close to my parents while they were still living in Fort Mill, SC... had trouble finding housing in SC at that time. 

Now with them gone we moved to extremely inexpensive housing in the recently vacated (5 years ago) furniture capital of the world... USA at the very least.  They lost about 20% of their population almost overnight.  Housing prices are still very depressed in this area.  I'd be embarrassed to say what I paid for our house, but it had been foreclosed on, sat empty for a year or two after having the entire electrical system and hot water heater updated and the bank was offering it at an attractive price to get rid of it.  I offered barely over 2/3 of the bank's asking price and... they took it! :Smile_teethhappy:

I totally understand regarding the housing situation here in SC. It's very expensive to find an affordable nice/decent house. My brother actually bought a foreclosed house and fixed it up really nice. He too paid way less than it was actually worth and it looks nicer than some of the more expensive houses in the area. Sounds like you got a great deal on your house! Greenville is a great place to live and is currently growing with all of the new businesses popping up left to right and a ton of people are moving there. I hope you had a chance to visit the downtown Greenville area while you were there, they literally have every store you can imagine, haha. My dad actually works at the BMW plant, and the hiring requirements are pretty tough.

Members
23 posts
1,556 battles
On 12/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, Jazzyblaster said:

I totally understand regarding the housing situation here in SC. It's very expensive to find an affordable nice/decent house. My brother actually bought a foreclosed house and fixed it up really nice. He too paid way less than it was actually worth and it looks nicer than some of the more expensive houses in the area. Sounds like you got a great deal on your house! Greenville is a great place to live and is currently growing with all of the new businesses popping up left to right and a ton of people are moving there. I hope you had a chance to visit the downtown Greenville area while you were there, they literally have every store you can imagine, haha. My dad actually works at the BMW plant, and the hiring requirements are pretty tough.

Yeah, tough requirements indeed for the BMW plant.  I sent a number of resumes there, called, nada.  And I thought I had a pretty good background in automation too.  Yes, we visited dowtown Greenville, lovely, cool.  Liked Greenville a lot, just didn't get to stay there long. :( 

Beta Testers
543 posts
2,963 battles

few tips,

Save ur free exp

Sail first shoot second

Watch for torps from friend or foe alike, torps dont tell the difference

Dont be salty even when you lose.

offer advice but dont get mad when people dont listen

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Welcome sir!

If you want a good guide for the game check out IChaseGaming's playlist called Captain's Tutorial, great information from an A+ person and player.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,968 battles

Okay, as a fellow stats geek I can tell you that you absolutely picked the right game to dabble in.  As a fellow "old man" (by gaming standards) I can also tell you that...you picked the right game to dabble in.  Lots of numbers here, lots of thinking involved in becoming a good player, and very little of the lightning-fast reflexes that other PvP games typically require.  So, welcome!

As @Madwolf05 said above, the YouTubes are a great way to accelerate your learning curve.  IChase has a lot of excellent material, as does Notser...if you're looking for more entertainment and less educational value you should also check out Yuro and The Mighty Jingles.  You'll also want to delve into the World of Warships wiki for most of those raw numbers you crave.  And yes, do try out the different types of ships...I started out much like you with cruisers first and then battleships, but it wasn't until I tried destroyers that I found my true WoWs love.  As far as the flat-tops go I'd recommend laying off them until you start to get bored with the other ship types (should be a while).

Welcome aboard, and just for the record I can top any fantasy football bad beat story you have. :etc_swear:

1,266 posts
13 battles
20 hours ago, DaveNewbie said:

Yeah, tough requirements indeed for the BMW plant.  I sent a number of resumes there, called, nada.  And I thought I had a pretty good background in automation too.  Yes, we visited dowtown Greenville, lovely, cool.  Liked Greenville a lot, just didn't get to stay there long. :( 

They're still doing a lot of hiring, so good luck! I hope that you'll be able to obtain employment there. I'm not sure if Michelin does anything remotely similar to what BMW does, but my brother and a few of his friends all work there, and it seems to be pretty easy to gain employment there, so I'd recommend checking them out as well. Hope you're having a great 2018 so far, @DaveNewbie.

Members
23 posts
1,556 battles
On 1/4/2018 at 11:03 PM, Harv72b said:

Okay, as a fellow stats geek I can tell you that you absolutely picked the right game to dabble in.  As a fellow "old man" (by gaming standards) I can also tell you that...you picked the right game to dabble in.  Lots of numbers here, lots of thinking involved in becoming a good player, and very little of the lightning-fast reflexes that other PvP games typically require.  So, welcome!

As @Madwolf05 said above, the YouTubes are a great way to accelerate your learning curve.  IChase has a lot of excellent material, as does Notser...if you're looking for more entertainment and less educational value you should also check out Yuro and The Mighty Jingles.  You'll also want to delve into the World of Warships wiki for most of those raw numbers you crave.  And yes, do try out the different types of ships...I started out much like you with cruisers first and then battleships, but it wasn't until I tried destroyers that I found my true WoWs love.  As far as the flat-tops go I'd recommend laying off them until you start to get bored with the other ship types (should be a while).

Welcome aboard, and just for the record I can top any fantasy football bad beat story you have. :etc_swear:

Thanks Harv.

I think I'll like the numbers game with this too.  Already have a couple of spreadsheets to monitor which captains and ships are closest to next level, compare ships, etc.

I'm now at around 1,000 Battles (Random & CoOp).  Level 15 as player, 2 captains Level 8, New York and Independence are my top two ships.  As I've grown as a player, I find the Destroyer and Cruiser most entertaining, but enjoy the most success at Carrier with some success at Battleship.  Carrier is cool, but lacks the visual impact of the graphics to enjoy it  as much imho.  I'm near the crossroads to deciding which category(s) to concentrate on.  I'm heavily leaning on BB's and CV's (not even Wikipedia [main site] discloses where that abbreviation comes from, but does acknowledge it) as CV's seem to have a large Impact on the game (my CV captains there are heavily Skilled in the necessary Skills needed for them).  Battleships seem to also have a large impact, although not early in the game.  My biggest problem with them is holding back and not charging in.  With CV's (assuming they're competitive, been having trouble vs Tier VII CV's) I can charge in, it even seems better.  Establish air superiority by wiping out all (or most) of enemy's fighters and bomb away at will.  Take out key enemy positions early.  All good stuff.  

Now for the not so good stuff, all logistical stuff.  #1, I can't even figure out how to add a reply to the entire post without quoting someone else and I've been on forums (mostly guitar) for over 15 years.

2) Getting kicked off line by WoW system and starting a Battle late sux, but even worse in the middle of a Battle.  I had it happen once just as my BB was about to engage another BB at close quarters. :etc_swear:  I'm pretty sure it's not my computer or ISP connection as others have mentioned a lot of players having the same problem and I seldom have trouble with other sites (the occasional restart of Modem & Router being needed occasionally)

3) Still lots of little details I don't know.  I'm hoping Mad Wolf's suggestions above will help there.  I finally have assumed (with some degree of confidence) that the squares on the Map are 5km square.  I still don't know how to identify an enemy ship or grid location and ask for an attack on it, how to get two fighter groups in the air at the same time.  Lots of small stuff like that.  The gameplay itself I get better at every day (or why continue to play).  The small stuff would just make it easier.  Fortunately I type fast (hence the lengthy posts), but it would allow me to devote more in battle time to the play itself.  My main weaknesses seem to be rushing in where even fools fear to tread and not keeping track of where I (and more importantly, my fleet) is.

Anyway, this was more of an update than anything else.  Thanks to everyone for all the help so far.

Edited by DaveNewbie
poor grammar

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,733 battles
On 12/12/2017 at 6:53 PM, DaveNewbie said:

Welcome to the game, I'm also a CT native (Monroe), and my mother still lives in Milford by the water.  Live in Vegas now and enjoying the sun (and no state income tax).  Got any questions, feel free to ask, we're here to help.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,465 posts
2,414 battles
On 12/19/2017 at 5:06 PM, DaveNewbie said:

furniture capital of the world

High Point?  Nice town.  I'm rather partial to Asheville my own self.  (If only so many liberals didn't live there...)

BTW, look for Lord_Zath's Replay Theater (a thread on this forum) and watch some of the lower-tier ships at work, with Zath's commentaries.  (I'm #49 in Myogi <ptui>.)

What lines will you pursue in the near future?

Edited by iDuckman

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 9:53 PM, DaveNewbie said:

WoW has been fun so far, although I'm trying to do it without spending (much if any) real money.  I know that may be difficult. 

As long as you're patient, and not trying to rush up the tech trees, and don't mind keeping some lower tier ships you like playing, and you're not worried about habing prwmium ships, no problem.

I spend about $10 every 2-3 months, for instant retraining of high-skill captains, (the more skilled they are, the longer it takes to retrain) and to demount expensive upgrades when I sell ships.

The only premium ships I have were earned for free through events. You don't need to spend money to be competitive. Other than some slight advantages when played certain ways, premium ships, and anything else you can spend money on, only provide convenience in the form of faster credit/XP accumulation.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
442 posts
18,730 battles

Buy an Atago and call it a day! 

Happy Hunting!