Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

Something just doesn't feel right any more

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I dunno. It's probably just me but the game feels "off" to me, and has for a couple of patches now.

 

I just finished a game in my Gremmy. It was down to me against a New Mexico, a Nicholas, and a carrier. I knew I was dead eventually. The carrier player knew his business and I was fully spotted. But I could stay at long range from the Nicholas. It struck me (no pun intended): The New Mexico was a far greater threat to me than the Nicholas. That just feels..... "off". 

 

Same at other tiers. In a destroyer, I often feel I'm at greater risk from battleships than destroyers. It just doesn't feel right any more. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,842 posts
8,742 battles

DingBat it's not just you. I know we all talk about time you can't shoot right and all. The last 3 patches It seems my leading other ships has had to change. 2 patches ago I had teammates telling me all my shots were landing way behind my targets. What I was seeing though were my shots splashing all around the ship. I started getting error messages about every 3rd game. Tried the fix and repair and changed settings. Still the same. Wound up uninstalling and reinstall. It got better and I'm not getting any error messages but my shooting is still a bit off. Sort of like having a mini stroke and having to re learn some things. That's what one of my WOW buddies kidded me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,150
[SYN]
Members
5,808 posts
13,201 battles
13 minutes ago, DingBat said:

I dunno. It's probably just me but the game feels "off" to me, and has for a couple of patches now.

 

I just finished a game in my Gremmy. It was down to me against a New Mexico, a Nicholas, and a carrier. I knew I was dead eventually. The carrier player knew his business and I was fully spotted. But I could stay at long range from the Nicholas. It struck me (no pun intended): The New Mexico was a far greater threat to me than the Nicholas. That just feels..... "off". 

 

Same at other tiers. In a destroyer, I often feel I'm at greater risk from battleships than destroyers. It just doesn't feel right any more. 

 

"Feels" is mighty subjective, though I see your point.  BBs do seem to have become more of threat to DD now than they ever have been in the past.  Everyone knows about the abundance of buffs they're gotten in recent updates.  On top of that, aside from the ridiculous secondaries of German BBs, some players have figured out how to shoot (...or RNG enables a tighter dispersion and/or sigma when a DD is targeted.  Who knows...).

 

On the other hand, when was the last time you've seen a well-played Nicholas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[ADOPT]
Members
1,270 posts
6,730 battles
2 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

DingBat it's not just you. I know we all talk about time you can't shoot right and all. The last 3 patches It seems my leading other ships has had to change. 2 patches ago I had teammates telling me all my shots were landing way behind my targets. What I was seeing though were my shots splashing all around the ship. I started getting error messages about every 3rd game. Tried the fix and repair and changed settings. Still the same. Wound up uninstalling and reinstall. It got better and I'm not getting any error messages but my shooting is still a bit off. Sort of like having a mini stroke and having to re learn some things. That's what one of my WOW buddies kidded me.

Yeah, a lot of people experience that, I feel my aim also is slightly off right after the release of a new patch.

 

Regardless, If I could comprehend correctly, I believe he wasn't referring to his aim being off, just that he found battleships more of a threat than cruisers while playing destroyers sometimes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
441
[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

The aiming issue is likely a server-client communication problem related to either packet loss or lag. 

 

With respect to the New Mexico vs DD, the reverse is also true. A New Mexico would consider any DD a far bigger threat than another New Mexico, even a lower tier DD.  The threat situation is also significantly distorted by the CV - your spotting advantage is nullified, making BBs and CAs much more threatening than usual. You can no longer dictate the engagement.

 

Honestly, it seems more like a CV issue than a BB/DD issue. Maybe change CV spotting such that they show ships on the minimap only, as if there was a cyclone. CVs are still useful for providing information, but not as dedicated artillery spotters. Ships already have spotter planes - they would be more viable in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,685
[DDMAF]
Members
2,596 posts
15,681 battles

Bring back that lovin feeling

Whoa that lovin feeling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,842 posts
8,742 battles
2 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

Yeah, a lot of people experience that, I feel my aim also is slightly off right after the release of a new patch.

 

Regardless, If I could comprehend correctly, I believe he wasn't referring to his aim being off, just that he found battleships more of a threat than cruisers while playing destroyers sometimes?

Yea I know but the phrase "something feels off" reeled me in though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[ADOPT]
Members
1,270 posts
6,730 battles
2 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Yea I know but the phrase "something feels off" reeled me in though.

Ah, I understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,824
Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

It's been this way for a while now, at least that I've noticed.

 

It's one of the reasons I rarely play the game anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,622
[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,772 battles
26 minutes ago, Stampz said:

BB players have learned to actually shoot at DDs now.

 

I contend that as the number of BB grow who have improved their skill of landing shells on DDs has lead to increased calls from Destroyers to Nerf BB Ap against their tender under armored hulls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Sorry, to be clear, it's not like the Nicholas was a bad player. It's just that the gun arcs are so stupid that dodging them at range is trivial. With the battleships, sometimes you don't see the salvos until they're on top of you. 

 

It just feels like I can handle the destroyers. But the surprise BB salvos out of nowhere are an element of randomness that I'm not enjoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,126 posts
10,596 battles

The only time I feel in danger from a BB is if it has torpedoes, when I'm DD drivin, which over the last 10 months is mostly what I play in PvP, or if I'm doing a suicide torp run, and the distance is can't miss. As far as aiming after patches, I think we all notice our aim is slightly off, and I feel that's due to graphical changes in the game, it's a subtle thing, and it usually passes after a couple of rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,845
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

"But it's 100% necessary for Rock to retain the ability to destroy Paper at any range Paper is even remotely a threat to Rock." - Rock players

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,284 posts
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

"But it's 100% necessary for Rock to retain the ability to destroy Paper at any range Paper is even remotely a threat to Rock." - Rock players

I've been playing Isokaze and Mutsuki recently (just started to really play destroyers) and it's shocking how difficult it is to consistently land torpedoes.. even on fat and slow battleships. And then a battleship just shoots near you and you get rekt.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,824
Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

"But it's 100% necessary for Rock to retain the ability to destroy Paper at any range Paper is even remotely a threat to Rock." - Rock players

:Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
818
[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,386 posts
5,639 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

I've been playing Isokaze and Mutsuki recently (just started to really play destroyers) and it's shocking how difficult it is to consistently land torpedoes.. even on fat and slow battleships. And then a battleship just shoots near you and you get rekt.

its almost as if one has actually has a skill floor....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
442
[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,273 battles

Yea but if it was 1v1 of any of those ships then it wouldnt matter.  The only reason the New Mexico is a big threat is the CV spotting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,845
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Hanger_18 said:

its almost as if one has actually has a skill floor....

Destroyers don't, just ask the battleship mains who've never played destroyers. Easiest ships in the game, you deal 100k damage just by loading in, they're that easy.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
2 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

Yea but if it was 1v1 of any of those ships then it wouldnt matter.  The only reason the New Mexico is a big threat is the CV spotting you.

 

This is true, but then the only time you're vulnerable in any ship is when you're spotted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787
[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
28 minutes ago, DingBat said:

 

This is true, but then the only time you're vulnerable in any ship is when you're spotted. 

Therein lies the advantage of DDs.  Most can engage without being spotted.  Those that can't, can still generally dictate when and where they get spotted.  The big threat to you in this game wasn't the BB; it was the CV.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,004
[YORHA]
Members
4,804 posts
9,474 battles
45 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Destroyers don't, just ask the battleship mains who've never played destroyers. Easiest ships in the game, you deal 100k damage just by loading in, they're that easy.

 

Edited by Super_Splash_Bro
Removed an offensive picture that stated "Tell me where the bad man touched you." with a picture of a Raggedy Ann doll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,549
[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,004 battles
1 hour ago, Stampz said:

BB players have learned to actually shoot at DDs now.

 

I know that I have been practicing in PvE, shooting at bot DDs when they are further and further away. I still have trouble hitting most DD players in PvP, but at least I'm landing the shots nearer to them than in the past.

 

4 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Therein lies the advantage of DDs.  Most can engage without being spotted.  Those that can't, can still generally dictate when and where they get spotted.  The big threat to you in this game wasn't the BB; it was the CV.  

 

I agree. Sounds like with the CV spotting you, you could not do the normal DD inviso act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
15 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Therein lies the advantage of DDs.  Most can engage without being spotted.  Those that can't, can still generally dictate when and where they get spotted.  The big threat to you in this game wasn't the BB; it was the CV.  

 

Sort of. A Bogue with manual drop will never hit a Gremmy, so if it was just the CV alone, meh. The combination was the key. 

 

This is all irrelevant. 3:1 with a perma spot meant eventual death. I actually strung it out long enough to cap another cap in full view of the enemy planes. The Nicholas was a non-factor. It was the New Mex guns that did the most damage. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×