Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ignii

Shells Not Sticking with New Mexico

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
5 posts
2,730 battles

I've been playing with the NM recently and I've noticed that I've been getting a fairly large number of overpens against cruisers. I'm not aiming any differently than in other BBs (center mass, at waterline, broadside targets) but even when I get a large number of hits it's typically all overpens with hardly any pens or citadels (my average damage per hit seems to be about 1000-1500). I didn't have this problem with any of the previous USN BBs or those of other nations. I'd chalk it up to RNG but it feels like it's happening too consistently for that to be the case. Is there some weird quirk w/ NM shells that mean I have to aim differently?

[HINON]
Members
12,835 posts

If it's over penning a lot aim just below the waterline. This does vary a bit depending on distance though and the ship you are shooting at.

Edited by RipNuN2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,368 posts
17,577 battles

Overpens happen when the shell:

• Doesn't hit armor substantial enough to arm the fuse
  • Goes in one side and out the other before the fuse has time to act

These are most common if you hit the superstructure of a battleship or cruiser. The more substantial armor is in the hull of a ship. If you get a lot of overpens, aim a bit lower.

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,391 posts
7,330 battles

I've always felt the same way about the New Mexico like the fuses on my shells were bad or something. The 1.5 sigma shotgun effect certainly doesn't help shells hit the part of the ship you want to hit either.

Sign in to follow this