Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

An opinion piece on why I don't like it when people fire HE from BBs.

33 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,191 posts
3,058 battles

When I first got into this game, everyone knew that when you played a BB, you fired AP and nothing else, simple as that. AP was what got you citadels, and citadels were the reason why you played BBs at all. If you fired HE when you played a BB, you were the laughing stock of the community, ridiculed for your idiocy by every other player. Over in World of Tanks, it's the same thing whenever you see someone say that they fire HE all the time because "it does the most consistent damage".

However, ever since the Dunkerque and the Scharnhorst were introduced, and now with the British BBs, it seems like few people shoot AP anymore. They would rather go for lots of fires with HE rather than getting big damage rolls with AP and I don't understand it. If you're facing a bow-on ship, then you aim higher so the shots plunge on their deck, you maneuver around to their side so you can get better shots, you wait for them to turn broadside, and/or you distract them so that someone else can get into a good position to kill them. If you're a BB facing a DD, you fire AP because the damage from those overpens stacks up. To me, it seems that AP rewards patience, teamwork, and finding alternative solutions, while firing HE is just the easy way out, what you do when you're too unimaginative or uncoordinated with your team to try to find a solution to the problem.

The worst part of this is that the tables have now turned on the people who fired AP with regards to their standing in the game. Now if you fire AP from a BB, you're laughed out of the game by the people who shoot HE and ridiculed as an idiot by the people you once regarded in the same way.

To this day, I fire AP only from my BBs and I've had some fantastic results, even in this HE-heavy meta. My NC was the first ship I broke the 150k damage mark in and still holds my all-time random battles damage record. My Warspite has given me similar results and absolutely dominates the scenario missions, especially Raptor Rescue. My recently-purchased King George V's first two games were both above 125k damage, the latter of which I got *this* close to getting a Kraken in. I fire AP because it's what I learned how to do and it's what has traditionally gotten me the best results. Now call me an old-fashioned person who's whining about having to change with the meta, but this is my two cents, and since I'm fairly certain that I'm not inciting unrest, naming and shaming, or being overly profane or nonconstructive, I can give it without being censored.

To conclude, I dislike HE being fired from BBs because I believe it's the product of not wanting to put in enough effort to produce results with AP. This will likely be a very unpopular opinion, but I simply wanted to get it off my chest. I am prepared to weather the inevitable storm of vitriol and mockery from the rest of the community and with that, I bid you all "adieu" for now.

• Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
183 posts
7,779 battles

Unless you are in an RN BB or you know the only enemies you are fighting are unovermatchable and will insist on remaining angled - and maybe if superstructure is sufficiently saturated - then there is no point to fire HE

also should not that RN ap have short fuses tend to get rekt by spaced armor pretty easily - includes torp bulges and other internal armor schemes like turtleback - so one can't really complain about players firing HE at things in those ships

- one can complain about why those ships are in the game in the first place but that is irrelevant to the topic at hand

Also, I don't see people complaining about a BB firing AP... - then again I don't really play RN BBs...

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I use AP the vast majority of the time. RN BBs are the exception. The only other time I use HE is when I'm absolutely sure I'm about to get up close and personal with a DD (though usually the first salvo will still be the pre-loaded AP), I'm trying to set a fire on a CV, I'm bottom tier and the target top tier BB is too far away to pen reliably, or the target is angled and is planning to stay that way (like Dunk or a bow-camping Yammy). 

[PSV]
Members
159 posts
12,721 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

HE in a Scharnhorst? :Smile_amazed:

Completely viable due to its cruiser-like penetration. You play it like a german cruiser essentially.

Members
2,067 posts
6,296 battles

That's why you are the Captain of your own ship, So you can decide what ammo to shoot. So you can play the style you want. Get It.( I hate when the Red Team shoots there guns):cap_rambo:

[WOLF7]
Members
12,495 posts

90% of the player base has a hazy grasp of shell mechanics at best, you have to be kidding with this post...right? :cap_hmm:

Or are you really having a fit over people not playing the way you say they should?:Smile_amazed:

Members
2,842 posts
8,736 battles
37 minutes ago, Cooper_Capt said:

I hate it when destroyers fire torpedos.   

Especially when they are aimed at you. Really hate that.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,305 posts
6,940 battles
46 minutes ago, CptJackSparrowed said:

Completely viable due to its cruiser-like penetration. You play it like a german cruiser essentially.

Sure, use it alot in the horse.. coupled with IF HE it works well on angled ships and Dds...

Edited by Jim_Byrnes

[PSV]
Members
159 posts
12,721 battles
5 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Sure, use it alot in the horse.. coupled with IF HE it works well on angled ships and Dds...

...Hey this is Notser~

Jokes aside, please don't use IFHE on battleships. Thanks. =)

Edited by CptJackSparrowed
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,142 posts
20,583 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I use both and always have.

This, if you have made up your mind before the match to exclude one, that's wrong.  You should always change ammo as target and angles change.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,449 posts
19,872 battles

I don't play BB's very much but, when I do, I shoot AP.

Shoot responsibly.

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,485 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

To conclude, I dislike HE being fired from BBs because I believe it's the product of not wanting to put in enough effort to produce results with AP. This will likely be a very unpopular opinion, but I simply wanted to get it off my chest. I am prepared weather the inevitable storm of vitriol and mockery from the rest of the community and with that, I bid you all "adieu" for now.

WOW. The sarcasm in the posts to this thread are insane. Well, I guess I'll be the odd one out and not be like that! :Smile_Default:

You may find that it sucks when enemy BBs are throwing HE at you, but just remember, when you're playing your battleships HE damage is very repairable and fire damage is 100% repairable. In fact, if people are so inclined to fire their HE at you, just use their weaponry against them and farm the dreadnoughts and fireproofs with it. :cap_cool: I would honestly prefer people fire HE at me because I can simply repair that damage with ease. It also means that if I survive, I weathered the storm for my own teammates, meaning we'll find more success in the battles in which I successfully tank the opposing HE spam.

I'm starting to run the premium repair on my Bayern because I'm finding I get set on fire enough with how I play to make use of it. If you play well enough in your battleships and it certainly sounds like you do, try loading some premium consumables to enhance your ability to deal with HE spamming ships and battleships. You may also have to change your play-style in order to deal with HE spammers, because fire damage kills you over time, meaning playing aggressively against enemies that wish to burn you down will get you killed more often than not. The best way to deal with HE spam is to prevent the enemy team from successfully focusing you down. Don't play too aggressively and make sure you have a way to disengage. That will render their 'consistent damage over time' ineffective!

AP is the best ammo choice in most battleships. Usually you'll have targets like a cruiser to shoot at, where in a situation where you have HE loaded, you would have been ineffective at dealing strong damage to the cruiser. Let them laugh at you for using AP; they're not getting as many or any devastating strikes or citadels by spamming their HE everywhere. :Smile_teethhappy: Wishing you luck in your future endeavors @1Sherman!

• Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
1,935 posts
6,622 battles
2 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

-snip- Now call me an old-fashioned person who's whining about having to change with the meta ... -snip-

you are an old-fashioned person who's whining about having to change with the meta.

i did this as soon as i could, in order to comply with the 'now' part of your directive. i hope this makes you happy.

your post will inspire me to fire HE exclusively your direction, anytime i see you in battle. unless AP will do more damage.

have fun!!

• Cool 1

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles

This is my own personal rule (for any boat):

Mindless spamming of a single ammo type = bad.

Appropriate usage of ammo to fit the situation = good.

Having to actually think and adapt to each battle is what makes this game fun!

• Cool 1

Members
629 posts
8,837 battles
2 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

The worst part of this is that the tables have now turned on the people who fired AP with regards to their standing in the game. Now if you fire AP from a BB, you're laughed out of the game by the people who shoot HE and ridiculed as an idiot by the people you once regarded in the same way.

Really? I have never seen this happen, ever.

If it does happen you can laugh it off because the person is obviously a potato.

Nothing has changed - with a few exceptions the only BBs that should be regularly shooting HE are RN BBs.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
9,915 posts
13,288 battles
4 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Really? I have never seen this happen, ever.

If it does happen you can laugh it off because the person is obviously a potato.

Nothing has changed - the only BBs that should be regularly shooting HE are RN BBs.

after trying the line and getting in the ORION, I wholeheartedly agree... getting Citadels with HE is the bonus to starting fires just about every salvo

but if I put one of my captains from a cruiser in my shiney horse who has IFHE...it seems that it becomes another argument...
And it was said to NEVER use IFHE in BBs.. but it is the CAPT that has IFHE  and a premium ship is the exception to this rule when you do not DEVOTE A PREMIUM ship one capt...
I experimented with it and it was fun, but i never really tested if it made a better game with IFHE in it,,, but I did significant damage and started a LOT of fires... so perhaps in the long run it is a GOOD skill in certain BBs at certain tiers...

Edited by pmgaudio

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles

I may or may not take this one step further, I fire mainly AP in both cruisers as well as battleships, I only fire HE in 127mm or similar calibres, and even then, I've used kievs AP to great effect on broadside cruisers before.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,723 posts

Counter-opinion:   AP shells from a battleship sail right through a DD and do little damage.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this