You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Suffering through the Hipper grind, it gets better... right?

94 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

I more or less enjoyed the Yorck. Once you get used to the playstyle it's not too bad and you get tier VII matchmaking..

Enter the Hipper, which is painful (I free xp'ed to the first hull and the gun range). You keep nearly all the bad aspects of the Yorck and style and get stuck with VIII matchmaking, which is pretty rough.

Is there a good way to play this ship? I do want to get to the Hindenburg eventually but I'm not sure I can suffer through the grind to the Roon (which hopefully is better).

Someone tell me that it'll be ok :Smile_ohmy:

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles

Totally worth it for Roon and Hindy (both are awesome).  Hang in there.

Use AP against broadside cruisers and pound away with the meh HE against angled ships or longer range targets.  Keep moving and twisting in the meantime and try to avoid being focused.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
6 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Totally worth it for Roon and Hindy (both are awesome).  Hang in there.

Use AP against broadside cruisers and pound away with the meh HE against angled ships or longer range targets.  Keep moving and twisting in the meantime and try to avoid being focused.

I think the biggest issue I have is that your re-load is so long that picking the optimal ammo is really hard. Maybe it's worth it to spec expert loader?

Waiting 13 seconds to swap ammo makes it really difficult to hit cruisers broadside unless they are full [edited] and sail broadside that long, or, you have AP loaded at all times..

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles
5 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I think the biggest issue I have is that your re-load is so long that picking the optimal ammo is really hard. Maybe it's worth it to spec expert loader?

Waiting 13 seconds to swap ammo makes it really difficult to hit cruisers broadside unless they are full [edited] and sail broadside that long, or, you have AP loaded at all times..

EL is pretty much default for all my 12+ point cruiser captains. Though mind you, I do have AP loaded a lot.

I dunno, I liked the Hipper, at least as much as Yorck. So much so that I forgot to get the C hull, and was 30k XP past the Roon before I realised it.

I really enjoy Roon, but I enjoyed KBerg and Hipper, which are basically Roon's parents.....

Edited by Skpstr

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

ap is really situational with hipper.   i know lot of people likes using it, but it tend to bounce a lot.  use HE for longer range and switch if you are close with dumb target.     I  tend to stay at longer range until there is a chance to push hard.   rare enough in t8  cruiser. 

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

EL is pretty much default for all my 12+ point cruiser captains. 

I dunno, I liked the Hipper, at least as much as Yorck. So much so that I forgot to get the C hull, and was 30k XP past the Roon before I realised it.

I really enjoy Roon, but I enjoyed KBerg and Hipper, which are basically Roon's parents.....

I've enjoyed the tier german 5-7 boats quite a bit. I think that I'd like Hipper more if it wasn't in tier 8 matchmaking, too.

It doesn't feel like a ship that can really impact the game much because of how passive you have to play.

Edited by enderland07
  • Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,197 posts
5,002 battles

Use HE at long range, get a bit closer and switch to AP...aim for superstructure = profit.

Hipster is a pronominal boat.

• Cool 2

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles
8 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

That is a pain.  A fall back is that you can do pretty well with the AP against superstructures if you are in a situation where you don't want the down time from switching.  I have managed without EL, but you could definitely add it if it makes you feel more comfortable.  Here is my current Hindy captain spec, which seems to be going okay and worked well with the Roon...

Capture3.JPG

Edited by delp5117

[MPIRE]
Members
1,662 posts
22,388 battles

Use the rudder shift upgrade instead of concealment. The Hipper can dance and dodge a lot of shots. It's much better than the Yorck and it AP doesn't spend five minutes in the air before landing. 

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles
5 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Use the rudder shift upgrade instead of concealment. The Hipper can dance and dodge a lot of shots. It's much better than the Yorck and it AP doesn't spend five minutes in the air before landing. 

Yep, that's what I used.

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
23 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

EL is pretty much default for all my 12+ point cruiser captains. Though mind you, I do have AP loaded a lot.

I did about the same, lol.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles
10 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I did about the same, lol.

Yup, because I wasn't itching to escape to Roon, I wasn't constantly scrolling down to see how much XP I needed to advance, and thus never scrolled down far enough to see the C hull lol.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,903 posts
17,932 battles

Since you are now tier 8, all the baggage of being tiered up 90% of the time with tier 9 and 10 ships comes into play.  Important in the Hipper to not be noticed (concelment is key), be at range when engaging, unless you want to play in the islands, then use hydro to ambush targets with torps or point blank AP.  Be impactful when you can, once people start shooting at you in higher tier games, you are dead.... but prize that is Roon and Hindy waiting on the other side

Edited by Panzer1113

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, Panzer1113 said:

Since you are now tier 8, all the baggage of being tiered up 90% of the time with tier 9 and 10 ships comes into play.  Important in the Hipper to not be noticed (concelment is key), be at range when engaging, unless you want to play in the islands, then use hydro to ambush targets with torps or point blank AP.  Be impactful when you can, once people start shooting at you in higher tier games, you are dead....

Oh, I know how higher tier gameplay works (the New Orleans had similar problems). The New Orleans felt much stronger comparatively though to the Hipper.

21 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Hm. I guess I can try that, it seems wrong to not run the concealment module though.. hah. But I guess if you're shooting/kiting at range the whole time it matters less?

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,990 posts
4,484 battles

I wasn't a huge fan of the hipper.  I have a rule that I keep all "real" ships , especially historical significant ones like hipper. 

But the ship just left such a bad impression on me, I have been contemplating selling it. 

I am currently needing lots of coin for Iowa and Roon. So this is an option, but not one I am ready to take yet. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

upgraded roon is nice.  stock hull isn't, but that isn't unusual in t9     8.8sec reload rocks and is very agile.   I actually think it is more fun than hindy, but both are very strong ships.  

[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
7,343 battles

Hipper is a bit of a weird ship but it can be very rewarding.

I personally find myself using HE most of the time, that is, until my target gives broadside. Hitting a broadside target has the chance to result in dev strikes agains cruisers. You can potentially citadel battleships s well if you're close enough.

I like to play her a bit more conservatively, so taking both rudder upgrades to get down to sub 6 sec rudder shift works wonders when dodging. 

I preffer to take defensive AA(it has crazy AA) with it since due to it's slow reload it's not much of a good DD ambush predators. Unless you get a chance to use its torps though, they hit hard.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,903 posts
17,932 battles
16 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Oh, I know how higher tier gameplay works (the New Orleans had similar problems). The New Orleans felt much stronger comparatively though to the Hipper.

Hm. I guess I can try that, it seems wrong to not run the concealment module though.. hah. But I guess if you're shooting/kiting at range the whole time it matters less?

.you can try rudder shift, but part of the problem for the Hipper (and PE) is the terrible concealment, that being visible is high tier games means people shoot at you from all over the map, and can't tell you the number of times some random volley peeled off 1/2 the hit points.  For me, I had a high win percentage in the Hipper, but only because I had +100 games in the PE prior to getting the Hipper.  One great thing in a tier 10 game is to play in the islands, identify a target BB that you can suicide run at and give him a double barrel torp sandwich....

[O_O]
Members
6,228 posts
14,416 battles
35 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Since you are now tier 8, all the baggage of being tiered up 90% of the time with tier 9 and 10 ships comes into play..... but prize that is Roon and Hindy waiting on the other side

You are getting screwed, man.  In Tier 8 play I have been placed as bottom tier 41% of the time (yes, I'm keeping track).

Roon and (reportedly) Hindenburg are definitely worth it.

16 minutes ago, centarina said:

upgraded roon is nice.  stock hull isn't, but that isn't unusual in t9     8.8sec reload rocks and is very agile.   I actually think it is more fun than hindy, but both are very strong ships.  

My very first game in Roon was great.  I normally feel the pain of stock ships, but I really didn't with Roon.  She's a good one.  I haven't reached Hindenburg, yet...I've heard she fights for top honors at T10.  I hope I am not disappointed, because I LOVE Roon.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

Roon is like driving a BMW .        hindy is like driving a mercedes E class.           but I do see 20k more dmg from hindy on the average   

[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
434 posts

I actually enjoyed the Hipper. AP is your first choice because the HE is awful. I would take concealment over rudder shift.

The Hindy is glorious!