50 comments in this topic

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
75 posts
6,584 battles

As per the Dev blog page. Looks like they are testing her as more of a traditional BB. WG, you have my wallet's attention. (curse you!!!) :Smile_teethhappy:

duke of york.PNG

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,734 battles

I'm still interested in the ship, but I was hoping that her previous state would be what hit the shelves.

[-K-]
Members
8,042 posts
13,285 battles
15 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

So...why would I play this over the KGV besides some derpy Hydro?

Exactly.  Looks like a near copy paste job to me.

Unless she gets a boon to her XP or credit earning potential, no thanks.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,473 battles
35 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

I was hoping that her previous state would be what hit the shelves.

You were looking forward to playing a battleship with no repair party? Really?

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

It would be interesting 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,473 battles
Just now, RiverTheIdiot said:

It would be interesting 

I would think more like frustrating. I admit that I hate seeing a BB "recharge" after I put three torps into it, but no BB in the game would ever engage if it didn't have that magic healing wand. You'd spend every match trying to spot ships your BB's, which were hugging the far back lines, could hit. Camping would become the flavor of the day (much more than it is now), and whining about DD abilities would become the national past-time.

No, repair party is needed or BaBBies would never leave their ports.

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,734 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I was.  I was going into the mindset that she was a super heavy cruiser and would have played her as such.  The ship would have been different and I'm not denying would be very frustrating at times, but the challenge would have been fun.

Now, the Duke is going to be hard to differentiate from the George and I fear will just be another copy-paste ship.  What will stand her out? 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,473 battles
Just now, Sock5 said:

What will stand her out? 

The empty spot in your wallet where your money used to be.

[NAM]
Members
2,151 posts
14,421 battles
1 minute ago, Sock5 said:

I was.  I was going into the mindset that she was a super heavy cruiser and would have played her as such.  The ship would have been different and I'm not denying would be very frustrating at times, but the challenge would have been fun.

Now, the Duke is going to be hard to differentiate from the George and I fear will just be another copy-paste ship.  What will stand her out? 

Agreed

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,734 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

The empty spot in your wallet where your money used to be.

I will probably still get her as I'm a big fan of the KGV, and could use another RN trainer, so you're not wrong.  lol.  

Also, 10 Forward as in Guinan's bar?  

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

I already have the KGV with my 19 point BB Admiral with Prem camo. I'll pass if I have to buy it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles
51 minutes ago, Umikami said:

With cruiser burn times, cruiser consumables, DFAA on a solid AA platform and second best battleship sigma in the game? Yeah I'd rather win that as a reward after a mission than an inferior copy of a ship I already have and rarely take out because all the other options at that tier are so much more interesting to play.

Why is everyone so obsessed with that repair party, or lack thereof? There was a lot more to the ship than just that, but nooooooo, everyone judges it based on one aspect of it without looking at the whole.

Really not a fan of these changes. They've turned DoY from an interesting, novel gameplay experience into a garbage copy of a mediocre ship with nothing new to add.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

With cruiser burn times, cruiser consumables, DFAA on a solid AA platform and second best battleship sigma in the game? Yeah I'd rather win that as a reward after a mission than an inferior copy of a ship I already have and rarely take out because all the other options at that tier are so much more interesting to play.

Why is everyone so obsessed with that repair party, or lack thereof? There was a lot more to the ship than just that, but nooooooo, everyone judges it based on one aspect of it without looking at the whole.

People didn't like the whole thing about DoY not being able to tank or heal, and having to stay back as a second line combatant. Because, you know, that's a cruisers role, and DoY has a battleship icon. Because there are rigid and set play-styles you must use for each class, otherwise the balance of nature is disturbed and the game crashes around it's foundations. 

[ADOPT]
[ADOPT]
Members
75 posts
6,584 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Really not a fan of these changes. They've turned DoY from an interesting, novel gameplay experience into a garbage copy of a mediocre ship with nothing new to add.

Yeah, and therein lies the constant struggle with premiums in WOWS. As a community, we can't agree on how premiums should be balanced. Some people want premiums to be different/unique from the tech tree. Then you get into the subjective convo about whether or not unique/different =better. 

My issue with DoY is exactly what you said. "Cruiser burn times, cruiser consumable, defensive fire, solid aa, and second best sigma". It's basically outright better at cruiser-ing than any of the t7 cruisers outside of the British.

But that is just my opinion as well. Which differs from yours, and will differ from the guy who sits in his parent's basement playing WOWs all day, feasting on a diet of Pop Tarts and microwavable bacon.

Hopefully, WG will find a middle ground somewhere in regards to balancing this ship.

Edited by Balaams_Donkey

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,473 battles
2 hours ago, Sock5 said:

Also, 10 Forward as in Guinan's bar?  

Honestly, is there a cooler bar in the Universe? (and don't tell me about that Star Wars Cantina, what a dive!)

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,734 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

Honestly, is there a cooler bar in the Universe? (and don't tell me about that Star Wars Cantina, what a dive!)

Quark's would probably give a run for it's money. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,399 posts
17,609 battles
Just now, manon45 said:

So its just a KGV now

We wish she were as good as KGV, but she has longer reload, slower rudder shift and less heal.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,297 posts
18,473 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

IMHO (and only my opinion) if released as she was she would be the focus of fire as soon as she was spotted just because of that lack of repair. Ask Atlanta, Belfast, and Des Moines captains how much they get focused just because of the ship they drive. Ask a Khab Capt. her the way she was

Releasing her as she was would have been just asking for trouble down the line.

4 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

Quark's would probably give a run for it's money. 

Quark waters his booze; if you don't believe me just ask him. And he needs some new D'Abo girls; the ones he has are in their 50's.

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,435 battles
1 hour ago, Balaams_Donkey said:

It's basically outright better at cruiser-ing than any of the t7 cruisers outside of the British.

Except that she is a BB and would get treated by MM as a BB and it wouldn't have had all the strengths of a BB, just the armor and guns. Thus we would be looking at her as a BB, not a CA. 

2 hours ago, Lert said:

This is a much nicer version of my comment on the FB page. I think the people who cried about it getting a heal are the ones behind it. Its like the WG Rep at Lesta Studios said "Okay, you want a heal? Here's your heal. Now lets nerf this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this. Oh and lets just get rid of that too." 

Congratulations, heal-holics, you got what you wanted, but the witch got to take the soul of the ship you wanted so badly (from one dimension of its character) and replaced it with something uglier. It could have been a sleek, fast battleship with impressive hitting power and the ability to work the second line like a maniac, but, nope. Here's your stupid heal. 

I genuinely hope they hit the undo button on these changes. I'm beyond pissed. Livid even.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Beta Testers
470 posts
10,846 battles

If they really want to make this boat good... take a page from the Warspite/Queen Elizabeth differences.. 

Reduce the DOY turret speed, and increase the shell timer to detonation(AP) so that it acts as normal BB AP. Reduce overall HE fire chance, and BAM you got yourself a different playing ship. 

Members
3,378 posts
14,155 battles

This ship is just a worse KGV now.

You give up 1 extra charge of heal, 25 sec CD on your guns just to have Hydro.  If they didn't touched the Sigma value maybe it could be interesting but right now, having KGV accuracy (which is not the worst but not the best either) + 30 sec CD... No thanks. I would never buy this ship. If it's a reward ship, maybe I will try and get it otherwise it's not worth it

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

IMO, the "old" DoY was a bad ship, the "new" DoY its also a bad ship. KGV is just straight better than both versions of DoY. 

- The "old" DoY was a cruiser version of KGV, wich isnt exactly a good thing. The old DoY would have to play from max range, a extremely passive gameplay even for BBs.

- The "new" DoY is just a worse version of KGV with hydro.