Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MadMate

Aircraft ship torpedo squadron

8 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
134 battles

Hello

So I was wondering if I am able to do a manual torpedo attack with my planes like adjusted narrowness and/or torpedo drop range like how close it will be dropped to the enemy ship.

Thank you :)

Members
239 posts
9,003 battles

May I ask what tier of CV are you at right now? 

For Tier 4-5 CV cannot adjust anything other than the direction it dropped in. (Also known as Auto-drop)

Tier 6+ CV are able to do manual drop by holding (ALT) +(left click). Therefore  you are able to adjust the range you drop from the target. Just beware there is a minimum arming distance for airdrop torpedo. Otherwise the torpedo won’t arm in time and will deal NO damage.

However, you are unable to adjust the narrowness of the drop. Both IJN and USN CV have a different torpedo pattern, some premium ships have different pattern itself as well *looks at KAGA*

hope that helps

Edited by Top_Gun_1999

Members
8 posts
134 battles
3 minutes ago, Top_Gun_1999 said:

May I ask what tier of CV are you at right now? 

For Tier 4-5 CV cannot  adjust anything other than the direction it dropped in

Tier 6-7 CV are able to do manual drop by holding (ALT) +(left click) hence you are able to adjust the range you drop from the target.

However, you are unable to adjust the narrowness of the drop. Both IJN and USN CV have a different torpedo pattern, some premium ships have different pattern itself as well *looks at KAGA*

hope that helps

Langley, so I can't do anything. Well, they always escape from my torpedoes even freaking battleships and I don't know what to do.

Edited by MadMate

Members
239 posts
9,003 battles

Ah Langley I see, Langley have superior fighter compare with Hosho, therefore you should focus more on the fighters position and clearing you sky for the team. When facing against another Langley, try to bring their fighters above friendly ships (don’t bring them above IJN DD *anyships that ends with -kaze* if possible since stealth is their EVERYTHING) and lock them so friendly AA can contribute as well

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,855 posts
11,318 battles
14 minutes ago, MadMate said:

Langley, so I can't do anything. Well, they always escape from my torpedoes even freaking battleships and I don't know what to do.

Part of it depends on the BB your attacking. Kongo in particular can be a pain to hit. The key to scoring hits with the TB is to A: make sure no cruiser is nearby to debuff your accuracy and widen the spread so it's easier to escape and B: watch what way your enemy is turning if at all. Do not attack 90 degrees from the side, it's a common rookie mistake and only really works for manual drops and is a bad habit a lot of the upper tier players picked up on cause of it (before it was removed from those tiers). If the ship is going forward, come at it angled a bit from the stern a bit as if you were leading the target, if he's turning, make sure your planes are on the side he's turning to so he turns broadside into the attack. If the description is too confusing I'll try and get a screenshot/clip of what I mean. If he's reversing, same thing but angled from the bow. and of course hit him with DB's before or after so he burns from them or floods from torps if he puts the fire out. I think DCP lasts 10 seconds? so after the numbers for damage stop ticking, wait 10 seconds, hit him with the other group.

USN TB's can be tricky with just auto drop for newer players, but once you learn it only DD's, maybe some cruisers will fully dodge it and you can devastate enemy ships.

Members
8 posts
134 battles
3 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Part of it depends on the BB your attacking. Kongo in particular can be a pain to hit. The key to scoring hits with the TB is to A: make sure no cruiser is nearby to debuff your accuracy and widen the spread so it's easier to escape and B: watch what way your enemy is turning if at all. Do not attack 90 degrees from the side, it's a common rookie mistake and only really works for manual drops and is a bad habit a lot of the upper tier players picked up on cause of it (before it was removed from those tiers). If the ship is going forward, come at it angled a bit from the stern a bit as if you were leading the target, if he's turning, make sure your planes are on the side he's turning to so he turns broadside into the attack. If the description is too confusing I'll try and get a screenshot/clip of what I mean. If he's reversing, same thing but angled from the bow. and of course hit him with DB's before or after so he burns from them or floods from torps if he puts the fire out. I think DCP lasts 10 seconds? so after the numbers for damage stop ticking, wait 10 seconds, hit him with the other group.

USN TB's can be tricky with just auto drop for newer players, but once you learn it only DD's, maybe some cruisers will fully dodge it and you can devastate enemy ships.

Actually I do everything you say but you said attack with torpedo planes from the side he is turning to makes sense I think I usually try to attack from the opposite side he is turning to so maybe that is the reason.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,855 posts
11,318 battles
7 minutes ago, MadMate said:

Actually I do everything you say but you said attack with torpedo planes from the side he is turning to makes sense I think I usually try to attack from the opposite side he is turning to so maybe that is the reason.

That'll do it, if he's turning port and you come from starboard, angled right for attack or no you'll likely miss or only hit 1 or 2. Turning port angled from port, he just makes himself a bigger target to hit more into. You can also try feinting what side you want to attack from. Set a way point that'll put you heading as if to go down and attack from one side and if he starts turning to try and get ahead of it switch sides and set the attack as you close on his stern. Make him turn the way you want him to. Really actually takes some skill and tactical thinking at lower tiers where you can't drop torps point blank. Barring that though, try and set it up that even if you miss him, you force him to turn to dodge that puts him in a bad spot against your team. Had cruiser heavy matches where I struggled to hit, but forced them broadside to the couple BB in it for them to get deleted. Doesn't reward much if at all other than taking a ship out toward the win, but it's something.

Sign in to follow this