Americandude_2017

how to play South Carolina/ Wyoming?

6 comments in this topic

Members
2,842 posts
8,753 battles

Ok I'll help a bit. Don't broadside. Angle in about 30 degrees and slow 2 notches. After firing turn hard left or right to bring the rear guns on site. accelerate and fire. turn and repeat. Always fall back. Dead bbs are worthless.

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

Slog through South Carolina as fast as you can, the first two tier III battleships (South Carolina and Kawachi) have been powercreeped to the moon and can't really compete with the new ones (Nassau, Bellerophon). A good tip for all battleships would be if you are detected and you can't see what's detecting you or you know there is a destroyer in the area (turn on last known location in the minimap), don't sail in a straight line. Turn and change your speed often and you'll be guaranteed to make the Japanese destroyers mad.

With Wyoming the gun arcs on P and Q (the middle ones) turrets are awful, so when you're in a gun duel with another battleship angle as much as you can and fire your fore pair and aft pair of turrets and after you get hit by the opposing battleships, turn to fire off the midships turrets and angle again. When under attack from torpedo bombers, turn into them and slow down when they get within about 5-6 km and focus fire on them (Ctrl, LMB on the torpedo bombers) so that your anti aircraft guns prioritize them over any other planes in the area. Wyoming has decent anti-aircraft protection but you shouldn't be sailing alone since your AA is short ranged and easily destroyed with high explosive rounds.

Edit:

Another general tip for battleships would be never put out the fires if only one is burning unless you're sure no one will be shooting at you. Fire damage from a single fire is repairable with repair party.

While not much at your tier can put out more AA DPS than Wyoming, good ships to stay near are:

Kuma: only 30 dps but has a catapult fighter to decrease bomber accuracy.

Kaiser: also has powerful short range aa but actually has a long range bubble reaching out to 4.5 km.

Myogi: has an average aa suite but again has a long range bubble with a range of 4.5 km. Important! Look at the Myogi. If the Myogi has a large imposing pagoda superstructure, it has decent aa. If it has a small superstructure that barely peeks over the funnels, it has no aa.

Any tier 5 battleship: They all have respectable AA, but if possible stay near Texas or Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya. They have great AA but both have short range.

Any tier 5 cruiser: Furutaka and Konigsberg have horrible AA, but all the tier 5 cruiser have catapult fighters.

If you must...

Mutsuki, T-22, and Nicholas all have decent AA (better raw DPS than Furutaka and Konigsberg! and Nicholas also has the option to switch engine boost for Defensive AA, which temporarily substantially boosts AA dps and decreases the accuracy of bombers).

Edited by warpath_33

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
28 minutes ago, Americandude_2017 said:

I want to unlock Langley soon. Some tips on how to play the bbs before her would be helpful. I will post similar questions with different ships here, so check back if u want 2.

Fight that damn ship and do not wait for DDs and cruisers to do all the work. So many in those ships, in those tiers, sit way back, sit too long, and by the time they actually move in range to hit something you are playing from behind. Move up and fight. I see lame BB players all the time in those tiers. Not sure what they are afraid of but some hardly move up until it is waaaaay too late. Pet peeve of mine.  Now, to be fair there are some good ones but IMO BB play in lower tiers can be pretty bad. Do you want to know how I really feel?  Heh.  By the way, I suck plenty also but I do feel that more aigressive BBs in those tiers would diminish my suckery. I hate having to take on red BBs in my cruisers but you have to a lot of the time cause your green BBs are sitting, sitting, sitting. Carry on and good luck.:Smile_honoring:

Edited by dmckay

Members
5,149 posts

My comments on South Carolina and Wyoming: Don't bother with AP beyond 10 km. Dispersion really sucks outside that range.  Inside that, it can be deadly, if you can shoot.  Also, inside 10km, gotta love the 12-gun shotgun spray on Wyoming!  Wyoming's a tough old tub as well, even if it as slow as my Granny.