You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

New Computer Advice

37 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles

So I currently have a Dell laptop that's not meant for gaming. i5 processor, 8GB RAM, but integrated Intel 520 graphics. It runs WOWS on Medium (custom) settings at about 25-30 FPS (on a good day). The primary use isn't gaming, and it does great with everything else. WOWS being the only game I play, I'm pretty happy.

But now the screen is starting to go, most of the time after the screen is off, turning it back on gives me a black screen or a fuzzy while pixel mess. I have to pop the battery in and out to get it to work. Starting to get random glitches with more and more regularity. Since I don't trust it not to die at a crucial moment, I've decided to replace while I'm ahead.

What I want is something that can run the game at a good frame rate on high settings. I don't need to max it, but I want a bit of a performance boost. That means a decent discrete GPU. I've also had it with the SLOW HDD, time for a SSD. Hopefully I'll have this for a while, so I'd like a newer processor, and some decent RAM.

OK, now for my questions. What GPU do I need to run the game not maxed out, but at good FPS at higher settings? The Nvidia 1050 seems like it will do the job, but I can't seem to find it on a computer that doesn't scream GAMER (I need something that looks somewhat professional). So the other one I see a lot is the Nvidia 950M. Will that do what I want? Any others I should be looking for?

Processor. Do I need the newer ones (i7), or will an i5 work just fine? My main worry here is how will the processor be a few years down the road.

Also, SSD. How big do I need? I obviously want the OS on it, as well as WOWS, and the PTS side too. Theoretically that should fit on a 128GB SSD, but should I be looking at a 256 one? I don't have anything big besides the game, OS, and simple programs (Office etc). Also, do you guys have issues with keeping stuff on the right drives with both a SSD and a HDD?

Finally, RAM. How much do I need. Is 8 fine, or should I look for 12 or 16?

Last note: I'm going stock from a store. I know you can switch components around and upgrade, and while I may do that down the road, right now I don't want to have to mess with something.

Thanks for any advice you guys have. I don't know a whole lot about computer components, so I appreciate the advice.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
Just now, Tucker1901 said:

Yes, something like that. I've sorted through a bunch (including that one). I just don't like the red gaming decoration scheme. So I've started looking down in GPU.

[SFBG]
Members
1,664 posts
9,420 battles

I have a NVIDA 780.  Works fine.  Same with the i5.  As for SSD, it will only help you load faster, shouldn't change your gameplay.

Can't comment on RAM, all 3 of my machines have 16.

Usually get 55-80 fps

Edited by OtterWolf
addition

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles

From what I know, if WoWS is all you play, shouldn't be hard.

i5, 2Gb GPU, 8Mb RAM, pretty much all you would need I think.

I'm running an FX-6300 (stock 3.5Ghz), HD7790 (2Gb), and 8Mb RAM, and I get 55-60 (capped) FPS @ 1080p  (although I have to play @ 720p or some UI elements are illegible for me lol) with everything maxed.

[POP]
Members
43 posts
7,414 battles
5 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yes, something like that. I've sorted through a bunch (including that one). I just don't like the red gaming decoration scheme. So I've started looking down in GPU.

It's more expensive, but maybe an XPS 15 from Dell's site.  I think it has a GTX 1050 as well.

[5IN]
Supertester
2,106 posts
10,138 battles

My 2 cents, I think you would be more satisfied building it yourself

Doing so allows easier upgrades in the future.  Also, I would go with an nVidia GTX 1060 over a 1050...

B

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

I have a GTX1050Ti and it's excellent. I can run more graphics on Warships than I'm comfortable with (I turn off all the glare and a lot of the other high detail for vision reasons). 

The CPU doesn't seem to matter as much. I wouldn't go with anything less than an i5 though. 

SSDs are starting to get decently cheap. I have a 256Gig one and I have about 30 gigs left. But i have a bunch of games (WoWS, Destiny 2, Civ 5, Skyrim, etc) on it. My HDD is a 1 TB model and it's about half full, some lower end games that don't require the bandwidth, music and pictures. That's about it. 

I wouldn't go much over those specs just for WOWS. You'd be wasting money on things that aren't as useful. 

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles
  • GPU is very important, most modern games are very GPU dependent unless it's one of those strategy/base building games with a lot going on under the hood. I personally would not skimp on the GPU, it will probably be your most expensive part if you get a smaller SSD (more on that below)
  • Processor is important to get a great one if you also have a great GPU. Mostly because upgrading to a better CPU later on is not a fun task.
  • I wouldn't get a very big SSD, they are expensive and have a finite number of writes per cel. They are very fast, much faster than your standard HD so installing your operating system on one, as well as things you want loaded fast is a good idea, just don't run your entire machine on one SSD. Use a standard hard disk for the rest. Samsung makes some good durable SSDs.
  • For Ram I would make sure you get a motherboard that has four slots for ram, then get 8GB sticks. It's fine to start out with only one 8GB stick for a while and upgrade later.

Edit: Oh, I thought you were building a computer. Well, if you ever decide to now you know some things.

Edited by Stonehammers
Misread the OP

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles

OK. First, it has to be a laptop, I use it for work as well. Desktop isn't in the cards right now, though eventually I'd like to get one.

Because I use this for work, something with the gamer design (odd shape, multi-color keyboard, etc) isn't going to work either.

Processor doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm aware the GPU is the most important, and most expensive piece. I can get everything else maxed out, and still come under the price of a decent GPU with everything else crap.

SSD: Is a 256GB one big enough for everything (WOWS, OS, and a few files)? Or do I need to go at least 500GB?

You guys seem to think 8GB RAM is enough, right?

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles
4 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

If it has to be a laptop, I'd recommend this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G5Z79221

You'd be much better off trying to get a desktop though.  

Agreed. I much prefer desktops because upgrades are easy (except the CPU). 

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

You guys seem to think 8GB RAM is enough, right?

8 *is* enough for most things yes, but for some games and apps with a lot of assets loaded you might wish for more. Do you just play warships? because 8 is enough for that. Prison architect, dwarf fortress, etc. will start slowing down once you have enough loaded in.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles

OK, I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HLBDXK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B076HLBDXK&pd_rd_wg=xzINF&pd_rd_r=QANMTYCTVG7FVKMK4BDK&pd_rd_w=R2cHL

The two questions I have: Is the 256GB drive enough for everything? Everything for me is Windows, WOWS (and WOWS Public test), Office, a bunch of various programs, and a couple gigs of files.

Second, is the Radeon GPU good enough? WOWS is the only game I play, so that's all I'm really concerned about.

I've seen a lot about IPS vs TN panels, and the fact that this one has IPS is also a plus.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles

Go to ebay, or newegg, or amazon, find a older i5 or i7 Dell, or HP tower /w 8+GB off RAM (the Dell Optiplex 790 is a pretty good choice) and then just toss in a GT1030, 1050 or 1050ti.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,400 posts
17,609 battles

My cheap i5 4590 with 8gb ram and GTX 960 runs this game at 1080p, max settings, ~70 fps. You really don't need a monster machine to run this game well.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles
[5IN]
Supertester
2,106 posts
10,138 battles
[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
4 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

You can summon me with @aether_tech for computer related questions.

Didn't know you were the resident forum tech. I'll keep it in mind.

OK, so I think I've nearly settled on something like the dell I linked. It looks good, has great processor and RAM, I like the touchscreen. I did some googling and I think 256GB will be enough space. My only hesitation is the graphics card, but with 4GB dedicated memory I think it will work just fine for WOW. Anyone have other thoughts.

aether, I know you suggested used, and I know I could probably piece together a better rig. But I don't want to have to deal with something used and various pieces. I'd prefer new and ready to go.

Members
6,040 posts
7,052 battles

I bought this laptop last year:

https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Gaming-Glacier/dp/B01DT49XN8/

One of the primary reasons(other than my old Asus being similar to your Dell, with only and onboard GPU and that GPU starting to fail) I chose this one was because of its discrete look. The GTX960 is good enough for this game. I don't play around with graphics settings too much(I'm a little too computer illiterate to really push the hardware in my machine), but I have my game settings on a mix of high and medium and get an average of 55fps when playing. The Nvidia control panel says I can max the graphics out and the card should handle it just fine.

There was another I was looking at, but passed on because it was a bit bulkier(had some slightly better hardware for gaming), and with me planning to get back into college to finish where I had to leave off, I wanted something that would be light enough to tote around in a backpack all day. Here's the other one:

https://www.amazon.com/ZX53VW-Gaming-Laptop-NVIDIA-i56300HQ/dp/B01LXCBXQO/

If you don't mind swapping manufacturers, then I'd recommend Asus. They make good computers, and I've really enjoyed both the Asus laptops I've owned.

Hmm... looking at those listings again, I have to wonder if Asus is still making those models. Just be aware those models might be 'outdated', and you may have to purchase them from a third party seller. I was able to get mine from Amazon.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles
Just now, AJTP89 said:

Didn't know you were the resident forum tech. I'll keep it in mind.

OK, so I think I've nearly settled on something like the dell I linked. It looks good, has great processor and RAM, I like the touchscreen. I did some googling and I think 256GB will be enough space. My only hesitation is the graphics card, but with 4GB dedicated memory I think it will work just fine for WOW. Anyone have other thoughts.

aether, I know you suggested used, and I know I could probably piece together a better rig. But I don't want to have to deal with something used and various pieces. I'd prefer new and ready to go.

Unless you're playing at like 1440p, even 2GB should be enough for WOWS at 1080p with moderate detail settings. 

~240-275GB is enough space for Windows + a game or three (depending on the title size) but I am running a 275GB SSD in one of my computers with WOWS and only a few other smaller games and no problems with it. An SSD is nice as it improves system responsiveness - less latency and seek time than traditional spinning disk drives.

Do you want a laptop, or a desktop (if desktop, do you need periphials?) Do you want something with a long warranty, quality parts (expensive) or a pickup-cheap and go option?  A budget to work within would be the easiest way to start/continue this discussion.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
2 minutes ago, aether_tech said:

Unless you're playing at like 1440p, even 2GB should be enough for WOWS at 1080p with moderate detail settings. 

~240-275GB is enough space for Windows + a game or three (depending on the title size) but I am running a 275GB SSD in one of my computers with WOWS and only a few other smaller games and no problems with it. An SSD is nice as it improves system responsiveness - less latency and seek time than traditional spinning disk drives.

Do you want a laptop, or a desktop (if desktop, do you need periphials?) Do you want something with a long warranty, quality parts (expensive) or a pickup-cheap and go option?  A budget to work within would be the easiest way to start/continue this discussion.

It has to be a laptop. I also use it for work, and gaming is a side thing. I'd like to keep it under $1000, but I'd be willing to go a bit over for the right machine. I want something new, that will still be usable in a few years (don't want something that's nearly obsolete now). SSD is a must, I've had it with the slow HDD.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles

Well, I'd strongly suggest the Dell Business Latitude series. Great laptops, pretty good quality, and Dell has really stepped up their support in the last half decade or so. Not sure they offer the best gaming performance though... I'll look into it.

What size screen do you want?

Edited by aether_tech

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
1 minute ago, aether_tech said:

Well, I'd strongly suggest the Dell Business Latitude series. Great laptops, pretty good quality, and Dell has really stepped up their support in the last half decade or so. Not sure they offer the best gaming performance though... I'll look into it.

What size screen do you want?

15.6. I thought about looking at 17.3, but it's a bit bulky I think, and I find the 15.6 plenty big.

Dell seems to have the most options, that's for sure.