You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Pensacola....advise pls.

52 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

I would like to move up to tier 7....I think. I do not have a premium account so I do it the old fashioned way.  The slow grind. I have Cleveland which is my only tier 6 ship and next in line is the Pensacola. Now, I am only a 48% player but I do think playing in the lower tiers is kinda holding me back but I am not a wild crazy stat freak.  I would just like to do better.  I play mostly tier 3-4-5.  It's fun but teams can be dicey and I am sure not good enough to carry bad teams. I admit that. Lose too many games that could have been won. I read that the Pensacola mostly sucks. If this is true why? I do see on data sites she is only around a 48% win rate.

My other option since I have French tier 5 Emile is to move to tier 6 in French line and then go from there. Anyone got any advice for me? I am a confused man. Maybe I should just play my St Louis which I am pretty damn good in over and over and over. Heh.  O by the way....I play cruisers.

Members
3,679 posts
7,973 battles

Pensacola is a better ship than the Cleveland in many ways, especially when it comes to versatility and threat it poses against cruisers. But Pensacola gives up raw dpm, making bad marksmanship and bad ammo choice particularly punishing. Be warned, be careful, and most importantly, be deliberate. Know what enemy you might face, in what circumstances, at what angle, BEFORE you actually meet them, and Pensacola will do her part for you.

Members
2,842 posts
8,734 battles

Get it. I don't have one but have played it in the Public Test. I'm not real good in cruisers but for some reason I did fairly well in it.

[-K-]
Members
8,027 posts
13,234 battles
10 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I read that the Pensacola mostly sucks.  If this is true why?

The Pensacola does not suck.  The main issue with her is that she goes up against much tougher competition than Cleveland (can and will face T9 opponents), and isn't the pew-pew-pew ship that players are used to after grinding through Omaha and Cleveland.

She is at heart, a heavy cruiser with light cruiser armor.  Good positioning is key, as any battleship that is given a chance will obliterate you.  You essentially have to play her as a second-line ship, never being the center of attention for focus fire.

On the other hand, her guns are fantastic.  Her AP is very strong against broadside cruisers and battleships (aim for upper hull/superstructure on BB's), while her HE is respectable for damage and fire chance as well.  She doesn't have quite the floaty shell arcs that Cleveland has, so you can't always camp behind cover as well as the latter. 

French cruisers teach a good lesson here, as they are basically armor-less as well, so if you can succeed in them, you'll have a chance with Pensacola.  Just remember that the enemy's skill level also increased when you get to the higher tiers, so be prepared for that.  Virtually every player reading this right now has been one-shot deleted in a Pensacola, so always remember that some lessons are learned the hard way.  Learn from you mistakes when they happen and become better for it.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,331 posts
17,513 battles
11 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Don't listen to those that tell you "this ship sucks", try it for yourself.

Agreed. Pensacola doesn't suck. However ....

11 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

If you know how to Cleveland, you will enjoy Pensacola

I will disagree with that. Pensacola is a solid ship, but requires a different playstyle from Cleveland.

You're softer, but hit harder. Pensacola is best played from the second line, in support. Your gunnery is more important than in Cleveland, things like ammunition selection, shot placement and target priority start to become more important. You can bully cruisers with AP and AP into battleship superstructures becomes much more viable. However, your reload is a good bit longer, so aim becomes more important. Plus, you're more vulnerable than Cleveland, especially where your citadel is concerned, so angling and not being the easiest target also becomes more important.

The whole "Pensacola sucks" movement comes purely from players who expect Cleveland Mk II and play her as such. Pensa is a very different beast entirely from Cleveland.

• Cool 5

[GWG]
Members
6,708 posts
12,763 battles

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing what you like.  St. Louis is fun.  It's perfect for the BSU mission (Blowing 'stuff' up).

Pensacola is a T7 Paywall where it is right now.  It gets deleted by just about everything in the game. 

I don't think the St. Louis would do too badly in a match with it.  (Sounds like something to try in a training room -- Pensacola .vs. 4 St. Louis's) 

Only advise I can give is to stay in the back until all the enemy capitol ships are spotted.  Couple hits from a North Carolina, Amagi, or Iowa will send you back to port rather quick.

• Cool 1

Members
4,302 posts
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

so angling and not being the easiest target also becomes more important.

well this is sort of thing we are supposed to learn at tiers 3 and 4  when cruisers (such as Pheonix) are MM'd with battleships. A cleveland player should know how to angle armour, to wigglewaggle to evade incoming, to use island cover, and so on. The major difference I have found with Pensacola (so far, quite new to the ship myself) is that the guns are much much better, dealing damage far easier.

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles

So, the pepsi is actually a decent ship since the buffs, I think a lot of the reason for the persistence of this "she is terrible" joke is because of peoples' bad memories and how genuinely funny the jokes are.

Like, whenever you load into a match, make sure to call her the "pepsicola" in chat, make reference to her being 100% recyclable and 50% organic/no antibiotics, and say that you'll be returning her to the papermill once the battle is over.

In terms of playstyle, she is actually quite similar to how one plays french cruisers, except that you use rudder shift instead of speed, and AP instead of HE spam.

You want to be at least 13km (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM) away from all enemy BB. Whenever you see them fire at you, you use that 3 second rudder shift (get all the rudder shift modules) and small size to quickly change course and evade their shots.

Against cruisers and DDs you can actually be surprisingly aggressive. If you angle your armour, cruisers will bounce all their shots, and you have hydro with you. Again: use your rudder shift to swing out those back turrets in between enemy volleys, and to throw off any incoming torpedoes. Just be aware that while she has been buffed, BBs, CAs and even DDs can citadel you, so mistakes will not be tolerated.

In terms of targets, you'll mostly just want to HE spam when at long range, but if I remember correctly the Pepsi's AP is effective (and I mean really effective) against broadside cruisers, even when 15+km ranges. If you can get any closer (within 11km), try to get those AP shells into the superstructure of BBs and the broadsides of CA/CLs. Obviously, use HE on DDs.

Personally, I've never much been a fan of the long range dodging game (I'm an island camper all the way!), as I find myself doing decent damage but not really affecting the match all that much. That said, I've also heard of people who hate the island camping play style, and they tend to feel right at home with the Pensacola.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,331 posts
17,513 battles
3 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

well this is sort of thing we are supposed to learn at tiers 3 and 4

Supposed to, yes. Many players don't.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,902 battles
33 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Virtually every player reading this right now has been one-shot deleted in a Pensacola, so always remember that some lessons are learned the hard way.

You made me LOL. 

It was a Mahan.  First shell hit I took, if it was as long as a minute and a half in, I'd be surprised. *BOOM*  Detonation.  Hit me across the nose, too - I thought I had a good angle...  Sometimes you just gotta shake your head.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles

This image is not for naming/shaming; it's only so you can see what you are grinding the Pensacola for :p

shot-17_12.11_20_08.58-0216.thumb.jpg.cffd6243c151eb36c1b8c74fa411536a.jpg

Des Moines is a beast :$

[NDA]
Supertester
2,902 posts
5,808 battles

Reason many don't like the Pensacola is because it's not a forgiving ship.  One wrong move, one mistake, one moment of not paying attention when the BB across the map takes a pot shot at you and you're not going to be around to figure out what you did wrong.  Cleveland feels tankier in that regard, Pensacola, while tanky in it's own right, can not tank the higher opposition that you'll be facing in the Matchmaker.  Pensacola is a great gun platform and the AP can get surprising damage and citadels at wierd angles on lower tiered cruisers.  It's a good fire starter on angled targets and the BB that ignored you and gives broadside will be wondering what happened to his health when you slam some AP into his upper belt and superstructure. 

Thing to remember and the only thing that helped me with the Pensacola is to remember that the best form of armor you have, is to not get hit.  Avoid the shells as best you can because that one that you see incoming and think "ah well, it'll hit but shouldn't be so bad" will be a citadel.  

And you will be shot at, constantly.  Most BB players focus on this ship, not because it's so good but because they know they just have to land that one solitary shell for a citadel and a good damage roll.  I honestly didn't like the Pensacola for the longest time because I wasn't playing it right.  But once I clicked, listened to what the ship wanted as opposed to how I was playing it I did much better.

Down in spoilers I'll put a link to one of my biggest games in her.  2million potential damage avoided:

Edited by vonKaiser

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,262 battles

Its soft, therefore it can have very bad games.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
16,574 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

I would like to move up to tier 7....I think. Anyone got any advice for me?

I will preface my reply by telling you that I am only a fair to middling cruiser player, but that I have them all through Tier 8, and also the Baltimore at Tier 9.

In my opinion, success with the Pensacola depends as much or more on RNG than on your skill as a captain. This can work for and against you. Because she is a large floating citadel, lucky RNG for those firing on you means an early return to port. And though her guns are, I believe, very good, unlucky RNG can mean you end up not doing much damage. As others have said, she is a second-line support ship. Though you may occasionally have the opportunity to use the AP shells at shorter ranger to great effect. Unless you have the Baltimore or Des Moines in mind, I would consider going another route.

In the regular tech-tree line, at Tier 7 I had the greatest success with the Shchors and the Fiji. Shchors is a long-range fire starter and her DOT can be very good. She is also reasonably fast and nimble, allowing you to dodge incoming shells from the longer ranges. Her guns are, I believe, excellent, with relatively flat arcs that make her very good at picking on any DD unlucky enough to get within spotting range. The Fiji is more stealthy and can be played like a large DD when circumstances permit. Her shells hit hard, and her rate of fire is excellent, though well-angled opponents can give her trouble. She also has solid torpedoes and the ability to smoke, both of which add to her mid-range playability, in my opinion.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun!

Respects,

Am

(*Edit: I R gud sppeler)

Edited by Amracil

Beta Testers
458 posts
11,440 battles

Once upgraded the Pepsi is one of the hardest hitting CAs at any tier...the hvy amer AP will devastate other CAs and even the odd BB. HE is no joke either.

Pepsi got its well deserved bad name before it had its concealment buffed..back then you would be the first ship spotted..even before BBs and that kinda focus is not something CAs can handle.

Now concealment has been buffed its a much better CA.

However its hugely punishing in terms of your citadel...other CAs, BBs and even DDs can open your citadel up very easily..so biggest thing in Pepsi is DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR CITADEL. Seriously ...small angle and Pepsi has decent arm...any kind of broadside and POOF!.

So you basically get one the hardest hitting guns (both AP and HE), great AAA, and a decent platform. But you have massive cits that everyone can hit if you go broadside. Pepsi also has a reputation giving up cits easily so you tend to get a ton of focus fire.

But its a good ship...with great guns...manage the citadels and youll like it...play loosey goosey and youll hate it.

I hated it until it got the concealment buff, but by the end of the grind i actually really liked it.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,793 posts
14,690 battles

Check this one

my advice, from playing the Cleveland, and then upgrade to Pepsi, just played the way you played. Then you get hits and learn from each battles. Each one of us here had different play style and level are different so it hard to give general for the pepsi. Most of the advices I read is play it as 2nd support. For me, i screen the post screen to check enemy line-up, checking the map, then determine if i am going in gun-ho or support. When battle start, depended on the level of support random players give you, if you had support, then you all good, if no support play conservative. Generally, if you had support Pepsi is very deadly. She had hydro and fighter/spotter that can boost detection range if you want to dd hunt, decent AA for AA support (nothing like the Cleveland). Just ok fire chance but deadly to dd. If you mini map and situation awareness you can use island, concealment stay out of torp range (10km from IJN/France cruiser/dd, 6km from German, 4.5km from Russian) and start citadel enemy. So you also required to had general knowledge of other ships characteristic. Like many had stated, you will get into game facing tier9, but that better, you will play better knowing those high tier can 1 shot you therefore you will get better.

There situation where in-game, i had to hold and reset cap and facing 5 ships or 3/4 of the total enemy (little support to NO SUPPORT). They key is kill one ship at a time with precision shots

For the France, you can check out the France sub forum on LG's post. They then required extra and totally different play style from the USN because they had torp.

You just need to play and experiences on your own first 

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles

The odd thing about this ship, is that even when playing co-op, the bots behave pretty much like humans and will focus fire on you despite other ships that are closer for them to shoot at.  It seems to attract fire and as someone mentioned earlier, probably to do with how easy it is to land a citadel hit on this ship.

[BS]
Members
1,964 posts
10,344 battles
23 minutes ago, gil5461 said:

I Bought back the Pepsi today,she can wheel and deal when all things go right!

Inkedshot-17.12.12_14.01.56-0170_LI.jpg

wow, do you have the replay for that?

[P-V-E]
Members
1,448 posts

I hated every minute of playing the Pensacola pre buff to the point I just stopped playing Pensacola after 10 or so games and resigned myself to never progressing past it, then back in mid Oct or early Nov this year I tried again (when the discount on US cruisers was active), it did feel a bit better, but I still hated every minute and flagged it up to get past it ASAP with maximum flag and premium time XP bonuses.

That said I got past it in 35 matches (I think I may also spent 30k FXP too) with a win rate of 63%, which is the highest WR of all my ships that have played >15 battles, but it is hard work, as even fighting from the second line there is little margin of safety from your armour, instead your margin of safety comes mostly from your heavy manoeuvring and positioning just within your firing range.

One thing I didn’t do was take the upgraded gun fire control system, so as not to waste XP or to increase the size of the area your seen when firing while at the same time maximising concealment from the concealment expert commander skill (though NOT using it to get closer), also vigilance (commander skill) to make the end of games a bit easier when you may encounter the need to close-in on potential torpedo spam, as the commander was going to be moved to the New Orleans after anyway.

Tips:

Fight from the second line area.

Try to keep >12.75km from almost everything.

Keep manoeuvring.

If you can put yourself in a position that puts a more appealing target between you and an enemy, do so.

Try to fight in the >12.75km to <14.2km range, using the accuracy and dispersion advantages of the guns and the standard gun fire control system with your manoeuvrability.

Is surprisingly good in a fighting retreat vs. BB’s, as you can dictate your own speed to maintain separation, you can quickly bring forward guns to bear on a target behind you using your natural tendency to manoeuvre and you can effectively dodge most of their shots, and the stern seams to cope better at taking a bit of damage from the odd shot that may hit.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,141 posts

I believe Thor said it best: "Nay, yon Pensacola doth not suck. Tis not good enough to  merely suck. It doth blow the lice infesting the noisome loins of frost giant winos."

[CVA16]
Members
4,925 posts
14,867 battles

It may not suck, but it is the bottom rated T7 cruiser. Lowest WR and damage and near bottom survivability (a bit surprising since anecdotally it is getting single salvo sunk in almost every battle so it should be much worse).  Obviously players advancing from the Cleveland are in for a bit of a shock. The Algerie, a mid-level performer, (top level is reserved mostly for the wallet warriors) beats it in almost every category except plane kills. It does 25% more damage on average.

At what level of performance (relative to its tier mates) is a ship considered to suck?

Your results may vary.