You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

Kamikaze R

36 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
929 posts
7,325 battles

Love it for what it can achieve.

Fear it for what it can do to you.

Love and fear, thy name is Kamikaze R

• Cool 1

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
23,583 battles

She is, to me, the best rewards ship ever.  As she is now she is a bit OP really but great fun to play.  

Had a great game in her a couple weeks back after having a terrible night grinding the Gadjah, lost like 6 in a row, then had this game.  Great fun.  

Spoiler

DU7ccuQ.jpg

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,454 posts
11,239 battles

Fujin and that boat is the only way I think I have my win%

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

The only reason she could be considered overpowered now is because she's the only IJN destroyer WG refuses to nerf, due to being a premium.

For what it's worth, when Fujin first released, it was considered a weaker Minekaze because it is slower and has no AA to speak of. Now, Fujin/Kamikaze R is completely unchanged and considered one of the strongest IJN destroyers in the game, relative to its tier.

Think about that for a minute. Remember it's been completely unchanged since its release.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 2

Members
885 posts
14,046 battles

The Kamikaze R in not over powered. She is simply what IJN DDs used to be and are supposed to be. Add the fact that she is in tier 7 match making 80% of the time and you have a good boat but not an overwhelming one.

• Cool 2

[KYARU]
Members
259 posts
5,694 battles

Too bad you can't get it anymore

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Members
6,449 posts
5,168 battles

Ahh, a IJN Torpedo boat that could actually get torpedoes on target.  What a novelty!

Edited by Sventex

[WUDPS]
5,158 posts
4,938 battles

The Mine clones are OP as hell....that's why the tech tree ship was nurfed. 

[WUDPS]
5,158 posts
4,938 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Ahh, a IJN Torpedo boat that could actually get torpedoes on target and never be spotted

Accurate.

[REVY]
Members
6,449 posts
5,168 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

Accurate.

Ehh...with only a 1km difference between detection and torpedo range, that's a bit iffy.  Especially of the target is moving away from me.

[WUDPS]
5,158 posts
4,938 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Ehh...with only a 1km difference between detection and torpedo range, that's a bit iffy.  Especially of the target is moving away from me.

That's quite huge in tier 5 considering their limitations. 

[REVY]
Members
6,449 posts
5,168 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

That's quite huge in tier 5 considering their limitations. 

At tier 2, you already have the Longjiang with a 3km difference between torpedo range and detection.

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
23,583 battles
53 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

The only reason she could be considered overpowered now is because she's the only IJN destroyer WG refuses to nerf, due to being a premium.

For what it's worth, when Fujin first released, it was considered a weaker Minekaze because it is slower and has no AA to speak of. Now, Fujin/Kamikaze R is completely unchanged and considered one of the strongest IJN destroyers in the game, relative to its tier.

Think about that for a minute. Remember it's been completely unchanged since its release.

It was considered to be under powered compared to the line ship Minekaze at the time. 

It now regularly outperforms most line T5 DDs.  

Think about that for a minute.... If it used to be UP compared to the line ship and now is reasonably considered at least partly op ... just how over-powered was the original Minekaze?  Grossly OP ?  Massively OP ?  Ridiculously OP ?

I agree that some of the IJN DDs are now somewhat meh.  But the original Mine was ridiculous.  :fish_glass:

I do wish I had coughed up the money for the Fujin previously though.  Having Kami and Kami R I would have like to have completed the triumvirate .  

Edited by Swine_007
  • Cool 1

[WUDPS]
5,158 posts
4,938 battles
7 minutes ago, Sventex said:

At tier 2, you already have the Longjiang with a 3km difference between torpedo range and detection.

Still doesn't make the issue any better, I see your point though.

Members
4,073 posts
4,347 battles
13 minutes ago, ROY4LP4IN said:

Too bad you can't get it anymore

I mean you can kinda. You just have to win contests. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Frankly, as with most IJN destroyers throughout the line, the only people who thought Minekaze was overpowered in the past were battleship captains who didn't know what A and D did in the control scheme.

It was strong, no doubt, it was just actually good at the anti-battleship role it was supposed to fill.

Now it's kinda trash, though still better than Mutsuki.

Edited by AraAragami

[USCC2]
Members
5,776 posts
53 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

The Mine clones are OP as hell....that's why the tech tree ship was nurfed. 

Yet just before the nerf the Minekaze sat at 93 of the 187 ships in game. It had a 52% WR and killed 0.9 ships a game on average.

Considering that WG state they would like ships to be balanced and that ship sat in the middle  band when it comes to WR it's hard to see why they changed it. Probably because everyone shouted OP and no one actually looked at the stats.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

Exactly. I actually though the Izokaze was easier to dominate in than the Minekaze because she faced much easier opponents. Ironically, nearly every other tier 5 has harder hitting torps than Minekaze does now.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
4 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Exactly. I actually though the Izokaze was easier to dominate in than the Minekaze because she faced much easier opponents. Ironically, nearly every other tier 5 has harder hitting torps than Minekaze does now.

The torpedo-focused destroyer line that gives up gun performance for a heavy torpedo battery, ladies and gentlemen.

[O_O]
Members
6,207 posts
14,311 battles
1 hour ago, Swine_007 said:

It was considered to be under powered compared to the line ship Minekaze at the time.

I don't recall this...?  I thought the differences between Kamikaze and Minekaze were originally very minor...mildly different torpedo firing angles and possibly slight AA differences.

Edited by desmo_2

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
12,446 battles

5.3k detection range and 8k torps on my Mutsuki make her pretty comparable for a non premium. Torps are fewer and slower than Kamikaze, but the stealth is still loads of fun. The recent spat of 5 DD games has made it tougher and CVs parking a fighter squadron over you sucks, but still fun. I can only imagine the fun of a non nerfed Minekaze or a Kamikaze though. 

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
23,583 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't recall this...?  I thought the differences between Kamikaze and Minekaze were originally very minor...mildly different torpedo firing angles and possibly slight AA differences.

Slightly lower top speed,  slower rudder shift, worse AAA ( though its a case of ineffective or really ineffective ), different gun turret placement, a few more HP,  :fish_book:

Not huge negatives but enough that the line ship was considered to be better at the time of release for the R

Edited by Swine_007