You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Adios, old computer. Hello sweet new rig!

26 comments in this topic

Members
679 posts

After months and months of playing Warships on a very old Mac laptop, I finally built a gaming PC. For those of you who aren't familiar with what it's like to play on a rig that mostly doesn't meet the game requirements, let alone a rig that has to use the Mac Wrapper, imagine islands without trees, oceans without waves, and the game grinding to a near halt when in close quarters combat. And the game crashes. Oh, the game crashes. Buzz, your girlfriend...WOOF.

The game running smoother has taken some getting used to. I've had to relearn how to lead ships, and am trying to get used to islands actually having trees that obstruct my view (even if you can shoot through them). Now to focus on improving my game play rather than having to deal with a dying computer. No excuses. Play like a champion!

• Cool 3

[--K--]
Members
6,634 posts
14,449 battles

I have a good rig and turn the foliage off so I can see through them 

But yes, need specs and pics

Members
679 posts

How rude of me! Here's the rundown:

• CPU: Intel i7-7700K
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 240 GB SSD
  • 2 TB HDD

I'm using 4 140mm fans to cool the case (Enthoo Pro M tempered glass) and the Cryorig H5 Ultimate for the CPU. This is the first time I've built a PC, so it was a learning experience. I didn't want to go off the deep end on parts, but wanted something that could last for a couple of years.

I haven't made up my mind on how to light the case, so no sessy pictures just yet. I may have things locked down by the end of the week.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,374 posts
13,901 battles

Grats, I am currently updating my computer, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and a SSD. I put the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM in last Thursday and will be installing the SSD with a fresh install of W10 tomorrow.

Members
660 posts
26,728 battles

When I started playing this "Free Game" way back when on my crappy basic business computer I was like wow this game would be great if all the turrets moved and fired on the secondaries. So now here we are like 2 years later and about 1200 into my new computer and monitor and now everything looks great. Carry on Captains!

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,307 battles

I too got fed up with the Mac wrapper.  Ordered an i7-8700 with a GTX 1080 for $1,077.  So far, it’s a great game machine.  My Mac still gets used for everything else.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
2 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

After months and months of playing Warships on a very old Mac laptop, I finally built a gaming PC. For those of you who aren't familiar with what it's like to play on a rig that mostly doesn't meet the game requirements, let alone a rig that has to use the Mac Wrapper, imagine islands without trees, oceans without waves, and the game grinding to a near halt when in close quarters combat. And the game crashes. Oh, the game crashes. Buzz, your girlfriend...WOOF.

The game running smoother has taken some getting used to. I've had to relearn how to lead ships, and am trying to get used to islands actually having trees that obstruct my view (even if you can shoot through them). Now to focus on improving my game play rather than having to deal with a dying computer. No excuses. Play like a champion!

Dude at least give us the common courtesy edit your post to add the following specs of this machine other wise this post has no pull.

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

That's a solid rig to play World of Warships on.  You will likely have a really optimal experience if your internet is solid.   If you haven't looked into 144hz monitors before, I'd recommend that next.

• Cool 1

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
2 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

• 16 GB RAM
  • 240 GB SSD
  • 2 TB HDD

I'm using 4 140mm fans to cool the case (Enthoo Pro M tempered glass) and the Cryorig H5 Ultimate for the CPU. This is the first time I've built a PC, so it was a learning experience. I didn't want to go off the deep end on parts, but wanted something that could last for a couple of years.

I haven't made up my mind on how to light the case, so no sessy pictures just yet. I may have things locked down by the end of the week.

Best way to play this game I hate to say it is on an SSD drive.  But other wise that's a solid machine actually better than mine lol.  I'm only running the Geforce 1050 its not even the TI.  You probably wont need any more ram than what you are running but I might suggest upgrading your power supply if you eventually want to add more items to your beasty machine.  I'm eventually going to upgrade my Terabyte HDD to a Terabyte SSD.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
14 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

That's a solid rig to play World of Warships on.  You will likely have a really optimal experience if your internet is solid.   If you haven't looked into 144hz monitors before, I'd recommend that next.

Radar_X wouldn't you recommend an SSD over an HDD?

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

I run two 500 GB SSDs at home.  An HDD is fine for storing pictures, music, etc... and if you have tons of stuff like that you can get a good one pretty cheap.  Anything that needs to load assets pretty regularly (which is most games) should run on an SSD whenever possible.  

If you don't it certainly doesn't impact your overall gameplay experience.  It just means you are going to wait a little longer in loading screens.

Members
679 posts
15 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

Best way to play this game I hate to say it is on an SSD drive.  But other wise that's a solid machine actually better than mine lol.  I'm only running the Geforce 1050 its not even the TI.  You probably wont need any more ram than what you are running but I might suggest upgrading your power supply if you eventually want to add more items to your beasty machine.  I'm eventually going to upgrade my Terabyte HDD to a Terabyte SSD.

Luckily I am running the game on the SSD and have a G-SYNC monitor. It's pretty bonkers to load in so quickly. I wind up hanging out for 45 seconds, enjoying the scenery.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
1 minute ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Luckily I am running the game on the SSD and have a G-SYNC monitor. It's pretty bonkers to load in so quickly. I wind up hanging out for 45 seconds, enjoying the scenery.

Not bad at all.

Members
894 posts
3,947 battles

Nice.  I've been thinking about building a PC for WoWS (pretty much the only 'modern' computer game I play) instead of using my mobile workstation.  My computer tech skills have long since fallen to potato levels so I have been watching Linus Tech Tips on YouTube for guidance.  Anybody else have suggestions for helpful videos on the subject?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,374 posts
13,901 battles
4 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

• 16 GB RAM
  • 240 GB SSD
  • 2 TB HDD

The K CPU is expensive overkill unless you are over clocking. If you got a super deal on it ignore what I said.

Members
679 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The K CPU is expensive overkill unless you are over clocking. If you got a super deal on it ignore what I said.

I doubt that I'll wind up overclocking anytime soon. I picked it up during Black Friday sales, so it wound up being expensive but not too expensive. I didn't mind quite as much considering how long I'll wind up keeping the new setup.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,374 posts
13,901 battles
1 minute ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I doubt that I'll wind up overclocking anytime soon. I picked it up during Black Friday sales, so it wound up being expensive but not too expensive. I didn't mind quite as much considering how long I'll wind up keeping the new setup.

My motherboard had packed it in and in my pricing it was cheaper to upgrade some than to just get a new motherboard so I went from an i5-2400 to an i5-7500. The performance increase has been limited because I am still on the old hard drive so I am looking forward to tomorrow.

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
319 posts
9,195 battles

I thought over clocking was a grey area WG was looking at here recently? I remember something about it here in the forum or Pigeon was talking about it.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,454 posts
4 hours ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

Radar_X wouldn't you recommend an SSD over an HDD?

I definitely recommend a SSD. While in the early days of SSDs people were decrying the fact that they have limited erase/write capabilities, we now are finding that they are more robust in everyday use than previously thought. Part of this is due to better hardware technology and part is due to better firmware and "housekeeping" routines.

Another secret to SSD longevity is to keep it less than half full and mainly use it for read-intensive, rather than write-intensive operations. A backup HDD used to store archived data, videos and documents etc. can also extend its life. Remember that even the slowest SSD is very fast. I specifically chose a SSD that was highly rated for reliability as opposed to speed. My SSD is now on its 8th year and is showing no signs of degradation. I only keep it a third full so it has plenty of unwritten memory cells left.

I recommend Crucial for RAM and SSDs. Crucial is the sales division of Micron. Most of the better RAM marketers just buy Micron chips, assemble them into pretty-colored sticks, stick on some flashy heat sinks, and then slap a "high performance" name on the thing. The basic green Crucial memory is Micron technology without the frills and comes with a lifetime warranty. While Crucial SSDs are not warranted for a lifetime, they still will give you many years of good service.

PC World rated "Best budget SSD"

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX300-480GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B073W4N5KB?tag=pcworld02-20&psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIRZJHSP2SKQIWVZA&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B073W4N5KB      

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,374 posts
13,901 battles
1 hour ago, Sere_Pj said:

I thought over clocking was a grey area WG was looking at here recently? I remember something about it here in the forum or Pigeon was talking about it.

Overclocking a computer will not impact the game in any illegal way. It is simply the computer equivalent to hot rodding a car and most people that do it really do it because they can.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,454 posts
17 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Overclocking a computer will not impact the game in any illegal way. It is simply the computer equivalent to hot rodding a car and most people that do it really do it because they can.

I don't see how a gaming company could consider overclocking cheating when its playerbase is playing on systems ranging from barely adequate to generations beyond what is necessary to play the game. I could overclock my Phenom II 965 to a max of +15% and it still would only be half as powerful as an Intel i7 2600, which itself is only half as powerful as an i7 6900.

Edited by Snargfargle

[AK]
Beta Testers
457 posts
12,726 battles
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Radar_X said:

I run two 500 GB SSDs at home.  An HDD is fine for storing pictures, music, etc... and if you have tons of stuff like that you can get a good one pretty cheap.  Anything that needs to load assets pretty regularly (which is most games) should run on an SSD whenever possible.  

If you don't it certainly doesn't impact your overall gameplay experience.  It just means you are going to wait a little longer in loading screens.

I use two m.2 drives. Samsung 960 pros. (I hate having to wait)

(edit) P.S. Can we get a 4k user interface??? ( I have old eyes)

Edited by Seloth