You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Umikami

The Return of Invisifire

123 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,270 posts
18,453 battles

After two years of complaints, heated debates and totally out-of-control arguments (where players actually got chat and Forum bans because of the intensity of the feelings of the player base over the outcome of the debate), WoW did away with Invisifire, or the ability to fire at someone with your main guns and remain undetected. And now they've brought it back.

With the introduction of the Pan-Asian line of DD's it is now possible, with either premium consumables or Superintendent skill, for a division of DD's to sit in smoke throughout the entire game. Which in real life game terms that a division of DD's can sit in smoke and pew-pew their ammo out and you'll never see them. At higher tiers this can be broken up with radar, hydro, torps, or a combo of the above; at lower tiers it's becoming a cancer, especially with the introduction of Vampire, which is a very competent gunboat, just like her Pan-Asian cousins.

Smoke is rapidly becoming the new invisifire, something getting out of control (the addition of Pan-Asian DD's with 4 standard smoke charges and suicide torps shows WoW has no issue with it) and something which will soon be the source of endless complaints and, watch the heavens for it's appearance, God's own nerf-hammer. (In other words, as soon as wolf-packs of DD's in smoke start taking down BB's.) In my most humble opinion it might be nice to take an early look at a mechanic which is becoming increasingly abused before it becomes totally out of control and perhaps apply a slightly less devastating solution before beating it into submission with nerf-hammer strokes.

Smoke has been an issue since CBT, when it was originally nerfed, and has continued to be a problem, and given birth to additional problems (radar which sees through islands), ever since. Could we please look at a fix before everyone starts demanding we do and WoW decides to fix it Russian style?

• Cool 7
  • Meh 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,648 battles

Get a carrier to cross drop the smoke, problem solved.

• Cool 4

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,135 posts
11,881 battles
5 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Or any other nations DD to torp or just charge the smoke. PA DDs cannot torp you. 

BTW. Love your Santa hat, wolf. 

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Radar works on T5 to T10

Hydro works on T3 to T10

Torps work on T2 to T10

You can break up smoke if you have a little teamwork going. WG wants to reward working together, and doing so should work well.

[A-I-M]
Members
380 posts
1,165 battles

I just wait in my Cruiser the DDs always poke out and then regret it I nuked two DDs in a single match why they thought I left so they poked out.

[A-I-M]
Members
380 posts
1,165 battles
Just now, pewpewpew42 said:

Radar works on T5 to T10

Hydro works on T3 to T10

Torps work on T2 to T10

You can break up smoke if you have a little teamwork going. WG wants to reward working together, and doing so should work well.

If they really want the teams to work together then give meaningful actual reward for it as a major bonus not scrap money and XP. IF two players shoting a target and one of the two players kills it all are rewarded for the kill plus a bonus on top of the damage. Something like that

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

The bots in Co-op never have any trouble detecting my Vampire in smoke. Unlike human players, the sneaky rascals act just like coyotes coming in to a call, with one keeping my attention while the other sneaks around and comes in from behind to see exactly where and what I am. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,107 posts
7,218 battles
14 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I wonder how many chat bans have been handed to people trying to do just that lol.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,648 battles
28 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Or any other nations DD to torp or just charge the smoke. PA DDs cannot torp you. 

BTW. Love your Santa hat, wolf. 

Thx

[HINON]
Members
12,825 posts
54 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I believe the OP was mainly referring to low tiers in which the CVs are powerless once smoke is up due to no manual drops.

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I don't think I can agree with the idea of smoke firing being the new invisifire. Smoke fire is limited to the smoke patch. Invisifire was usually done while mobile, making sure the enemy could never catch up to your detection range. Very different play styles. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
623 posts
13,226 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

With the introduction of the Pan-Asian line of DD's it is now possible, with either premium consumables or Superintendent skill, for a division of DD's to sit in smoke throughout the entire game

1 hour ago, Umikami said:

at lower tiers it's becoming a cancer,

I couldn't agree with you more.  The nerf that should happen is a cooldown nerf for the smoke.  I know if I was just starting out I would be frustrated.  The issue is as soon as their smoke ring has run out, within a matter of seconds their ready to smoke up again.:cap_hmm:

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

All I know is that in many games there is IMO just too much smoke to the point I feel like I am not on the ocean but trapped in a forest fire. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,341 posts
34,241 battles

DD sitting in smoke shooting? Yes please. A lovely target for my torps. I usually get one or two of those a day in Yugumo and Akatsuki.

Edited by Taichunger

Members
2,151 posts
14,358 battles
9 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

DD sitting in smoke shooting? Yes please. A lovely target for my torps. I usually get one or two of those a day in Yugumo and Akatsuki.

Or get skills and hit the dd in smoke. Love grttings cits on RN cruisers and LOLIpens on dd's

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,648 battles
44 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I believe the OP was mainly referring to low tiers in which the CVs are powerless once smoke is up due to no manual drops.

Crap right. You can't drop auto without a target...ooops.

Members
2,151 posts
14,358 battles
13 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Crap right. You can't drop auto without a target...ooops.

Since the **year of cv nerf** yes

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,892 battles

And when they sit in that smoke they are a sitting duck. You know exactly where they are, where torps will come from, and where you should dump torps.

A division? Makes sense, teamwork is OP in this game, why should an entire line be punished for having people use teamwork and tactics? 

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[TOG]
Members
4,080 posts
22,298 battles

If you have an rdf skill for your DD CO's, DD's hiding in smoke becomes an none issue.  DD hiding in smoke? Minimap shows DD's last known position and your torp range. RDF shows bearing.  So now you have a torp solution to a sitting/slow moving target. Don't have have those? Go silent and charge in. Both ships can only see each other within 2 km if both are silent. About 2.5 km if one or both of them are shooting. Don't see what the problem is if you're trying to find a DD with another DD.

[JMMAF]
Members
1,942 posts
6,626 battles

there is one plausible explanation for this situation. it with sincere apologies I am writing this post, for many of you will be crushed when you read it, realize, and understand.

it took them years to get around to tune out invisifire, and now a whole bunch of DDs can invisifire. 

morons like me will always remember the great IJN DD SuperNerf, and there is now a scenario that is spooky similar to where the IJN DDs were before the SuperNerf. one of the characteristics was the IJN torps were long range, fast, had a big punch, and had a fairly short detection range. tell me how different the DW torps are from that for everything but DDs. 

after there is a pooton of complaints from the BB mains, and toss in a few from the CA/CL drivers that will run into DW torps with 1.1 km detection range, it's a gimme they will be SuperNerfing the AP DDs at some point in the future. 

as soon as that happens, the rock paper scissors balance will once again be broken, and BBs will roam the earth unfettered. there is one, and only one way to deal with this, as fixing CVs in clearly out of the question.

WG is preparing us for the release of submarines in the game. there is NOTHING you can do that will convince me otherwise, they have systematically removed all plausible denial from the inevitable inclusion in the game. they will shrug their shoulders, say 'we tried buffing DDs, it didn't work.' 

please save your gifs and troll rants for something that is foil hat worthy. I am just trying to soften the blow. you know it's coming. embrace it. do not just play a submarine, be a submarine. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,502 posts
14,121 battles

While there are counters, being able to smoke for very prolonged periods with only 7s windows (flag/JOAT) between them is not necessarily good for the game. I've felt pretty filthy up close to a flock of ships, spotted only on the very brief smoke cool down, barely having to move.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,107 posts
7,218 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

And when they sit in that smoke they are a sitting duck. You know exactly where they are, where torps will come from, and where you should dump torps.

Or exactly what part of the map to avoid. If they have spotting to be able to fire out of the smoke, getting close enough to dump 6km torps with my Roon is a wee bit suicidal.

If we can't see each other, than sure, I'll roll in with hydro, and as long as I don't fire guns, I can get away with it.

Problem is, anybody smart enough to div and work together to use smoke efficiently probably isn't dumb enough to it if they won't have vision. That means going in gets you focussed and sunk.

A division? Makes sense, teamwork is OP in this game, why should an entire line be punished for having people use teamwork and tactics? 

Why should a line have a gimmick that exacerbates something annoying?

That's what I don't like about all the smoke. It's not OP if you choose to go somewhere else to avoid it.

I mean, it's an excellent area denial tactic, but area denial and enjoyable battles can be mutually exclusive.

Edited by Skpstr