You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

About CV player (need some clarification)

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,782 posts
25,480 battles

I was in my Hindenburg yesterday and the enemy team had a Shokaku. From all possible targets he chose my ship first. Needless to say I shred 15 planes. But he seems to learn nothing since he repeatedly attacked me instead of destroyers or BB with a low AA value. I have to say thank you because I still had the kill 35 planes in a crusier mission to do. But then: if you fail with one attack why do it again and again? I shot down 41 planes and he never hit me. Any explanation?

[INTEL]
Members
12,355 posts
34,353 battles

Frustration at being in a T10 match. Today we had two T8s in a T10 match. The Red one funked out and I never saw any planes from him. I convinced ours to come out of his funk and at least spot, and he played ok. Finished on bottom, but I sent him a compliment for his try.

WG needs to go +/- 1 tier for CVs

Members
4,302 posts
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Frustration at being in a T10 match. Today we had two T8s in a T10 match. The Red one funked out and I never saw any planes from him. I convinced ours to come out of his funk and at least spot, and he played ok. Finished on bottom, but I sent him a compliment for his try.

WG needs to go +/- 1 tier for CVs

played sensibly t8 cvs are perfectly capable of contributing to team success when matched with tier10 ships.

Scouting, contesting air dominance, prosecuting dds and CAs with poor aa, attacking BBs in late game when they are on 50%- hp.

[ARGSY]
6,782 posts
25,480 battles

There is still the question about the why a CV attack the same ship after he got a bloody nose. A few months back a Hiryu throw wave after wave of planes against my MK. He lost nearly 50 planes that way. And no, he didn’t try to fly over me for another target, he kept attacking me. Did he hoped I run out of ammo before he run out of planes? We don’t talk about low tier that try CV, we talk about mid tier CV that should have an idea what they do.

[VFW]
Members
1,372 posts
27,904 battles

Without knowing the specific game, it may have been that you were alone and the only viable target?  Other than that...stubbornness?

vr,

[ARGSY]
6,782 posts
25,480 battles
15 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

Without knowing the specific game, it may have been that you were alone and the only viable target?  Other than that...stubbornness?

vr,

Stubborness, I had a BB behind me, either it was a Bismarck or a Iowa, no lightweight when it comes to AA. On the other side of the map our DD could roam free.

Members
948 posts
4,337 battles
4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

I was in my Hindenburg yesterday and the enemy team had a Shokaku. From all possible targets he chose my ship first. Needless to say I shred 15 planes. But he seems to learn nothing since he repeatedly attacked me instead of destroyers or BB with a low AA value. I have to say thank you because I still had the kill 35 planes in a crusier mission to do. But then: if you fail with one attack why do it again and again? I shot down 41 planes and he never hit me. Any explanation?

T8 CV in a T10 match. He prolly didn't have many other options, and may not have known Hidenburgs AA values or thought there was a ghost ship helping your AA.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

I ask this same question regularly in my DM. I wipe out all the squads you send at me, why on earth would you think it would work the 2nd/3rd time?

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

It's a mistake to think CVs in random are all unicum. There is many les than stellar CV and it show a lot more on TX where they have to be careful with their target. I've seen well played T8 CV end up top of the winning team on TX battles.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,504 battles

ok

allow me to explain some thinking, and its only a guess. Since the CV considered itself useless and since everyone else had AA or concentrated AA, the player may have been trying to just push you out of battle. The T8 CV is hard grind which I just finished and now I can move up. T8 Cvs against T10 ships is freaking crazy to begin with

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,373 posts
13,893 battles
4 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

played sensibly t8 cvs are perfectly capable of contributing to team success when matched with tier10 ships.

Scouting, contesting air dominance, prosecuting dds and CAs with poor aa, attacking BBs in late game when they are on 50%- hp.

This applies to all ships that are bottom tier. Play competently within the limits of what you can do and while you may not do a lot of damage playing smart will increase your teams chances at winning. On the flip side not playing smart or simply going back to port hurts your teams chances at winning.

[-N-]
Members
2,156 posts
14,580 battles

A T8 in a T10 game the first thing that should be going on is scouting.  This sounds like someone trying to go after what he thought was the most valuable target.  He must have thought of you as the key to your team.   Personally I would look for the lowest AA ship or a BB a bit behind the AA cover and go after him.  A smoke cloud from a DD is also a viable target provided no heavy AA cruisers are near by.  It was stubbornness on enemy CVs side that he kept coming after you.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,854 posts
11,315 battles
6 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Here's the problem, especially given it's Shokaku -

DD - Shokaku is horribly set up to attack a DD unless it is the densest, most clueless noob on Earth, or incredible luck. Despite having the same dispersion and all as USN, the 2 less planes make it that much harder to hit them, and are much less powerful bombs anyway even if they do. And barring an absolutely spot on perfect cross drop, a tactic most CV players have forgotten due to manual drop spamming it seems anyway, A DD can easily dodge torps. DD's also tend to pop smoke first thing they are spotted and planes may be near, which, unless again, complete fool, it's a very big area and IJN's narrowing manual drop pattern is not ideal unless you know exactly where he is, what way he is heading, and how fast in the smoke. Not to mention that even at tier 8 some DD's, USN DD's in particularly, have AA that can devastate planes. I've had a Benson wipe out an entire, fully upgraded and all Shokaku strike group. Plus the fighters spotting it. Tier 9-10, pretty much every DD is going to shred planes pretty well too. Then theres the fact of - "are the DD's spotted". Most DD's at that tier have captains and all built to max concealment so your talking about having to get planes within 2-3 km of them, when they see you 8 km out, on a map usually between 42x42 and 48x48km in size. 

Low AA value BB - Tier 8+ that's maybe Amagi or a Tirpitz. Bismarck usually has BFT and AFT which is 20% to AA and range, and you have to also watch the sneaky ones that actually took manual AA. Izumo depends partially on build and skills, Fredrich, same as Bis but some might pass on the secondary fire for 25% to AA damage. Monarch is not to be underestimated, Lion can devastate planes.  Current stats maybe Richelieu because a good portion of it's AA is 20 mm guns, unless DB's which have to fly into them. And pretty much any tier 10 BB at tier 8 is a no fly zone.

Grouping - Even IF you had a BB with AA on your team that might be survivable, they likely knew that, and got close to another ship, especially if it's one known to have good AA, same with DD's or what few weak cruisers there are. Any 2 ships can usually wreak havoc on planes thanks to how strong single ship AA is.

You may well have been the only target with enough separation, potentially low AA, that he could find, and might deal some damage. And the second attack could have been an assumption that the first attack failed due to DF AA and that by the time the planes got back to you, it'd be down and he'd have a chance. But without having been there, honestly, I can only guess.