Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Big_Tidday_Goth_GF

Most fun Tier VIII Battleship

27 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles

I don't have them all yet but I think that the Alabama is one of the most fun ships I've gotten.  The Tirpitz is also a lot of fun but I have more success playing the Alabama at similar ranges.  I think it's the turning ability.  Tirpitz is still quite fun for me but it's going to be sad when I get the Kurfurst someday and have to retrain my captain.

Does anyone use Tirpitz without a secondary captain skill set?

[-YAR-]
Members
92 posts
7,430 battles

I like the kii best. thing just 'works' for me... dont have an alabama, but its more fun then my tripitz for sure.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,301 posts
17,441 battles

Alabama and Tirpitz for me as well. Bama for that agility, Tirpitz for brawling fun.

[RLGN]
Members
13,448 posts
23,450 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Alabama and Tirpitz for me as well. Bama for that agility, Tirpitz for brawling fun.

Never seem to do well with Bis-ko or Tirpitz... Alabama I quad-citadeled a Yamato once with it; and always seem to do decently well in it. Four paddlin' against cruisers in one game, once.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

I think all Premium Tier 8 BBs fit a nice niche within their respective tech lines. Can't go wrong with them!

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles

Bismarck; that 11,3 km secondairy range, 12,3 km detectionrange, hydro and a 19 point captain (L)

[-K-]
Members
8,020 posts
13,215 battles

Really enjoyed North Carolina and Amagi.

As for Tirpitz, I don't run a secondary build on her.  I go full survivability instead, as she uses my FDG commander.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,268 posts

Tirp all the way... 513 battles, 51% victories (was 52 until about a month ago) 1088 avg xp, 1.67 destruct ratio. For me, that's fun. You know tho'... looking through the tech trees... you sort of realize when talking about BBs... you have fewer to choose from than destroyers or cruisers. I actually never noticed that before... 

Having just purchase the Colorado for the fourth time (!) I'm finally enjoying the grind for the "other" Carolina - the North Carolina... I remember playing her on PTS a long, long time ago... she was fun. When I reach her, get her fully equipped... she might become my new fun BB. 

Does no one consider her the most fun? 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
typo

[PVE]
Members
11,175 posts
21,460 battles

Don't have any Premium T8 BB's. I do have 3 tech tree T8 BB's. NC, Bismarck, and Amagi. Of those 3 NC is probably the most fun for me. Love the ship. Bismarck with the 10.8km secondary guns is fun too though. Amagi, well, not so much. Not even close to fun. Frustrating yes but fun no.

Edit - have added 2 Premium T8 BB's since this post was made. Alabama and Tirpitz. Alabama is a NC so it is a blast but not different enough to make a change in my answer. Tirpitz however with those torps does. Secondary build on ship and Capt built for secondary and then torps makes for a heck of a fun ship. So of the standard tech tree BB's NC but if including the Premiums then Tirpitz is probably the most fun.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,703 battles

Tirpitz is a very fun ship so I'd have to lend my vote towards her. 

Though the Alabama and the Monarch are easy to play as well.  

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles
8 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Tirp all the way... 513 battles, 51% victories (was 52 until about a month ago) 1088 avg xp, 1.67 destruct ratio. For me, that's fun. You know tho'... looking through the tech trees... you sort of realize when talking about BBs... you have fewer to choose from than destroyers or cruisers. I actually never noticed that before... 

Having just purchase the Colorado for the fourth time (!) I'm finally enjoying the grind for the "other" Carolina - the North Carolina... I remember playing her on PTS a long, long time ago... she was fun. When I reach her, get her fully equipped... she might become my new fun BB. 

Does no one consider her the most fun? 

North Carolina I recently got as well.  Nothing wrong with it but when you have Alabama, North Carolina isn't as special.  It is pretty fun on its own though.  It's a nice reward for finishing the very unfun Colorado.

Strange how Colorado didn't work for me at all.  I liked NM and even the NY, and I have all the premium American ships, so I take those ships out too even if they aren't quite as fun to play as some of their counterparts.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,268 posts

Would you believe the fourth purchase seems to be working for me <lmbo> as I'm actually enjoy the Colo as she is now, fully-upgraded with a decent commander. She plays a whole lot better this way than her stock way, that's for dang sure. 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,720 battles

Colorado has the accuracy to do great things but it's in a Tier where people know how to move around, and since you can never get to where you need to go the opportunities are few.  North Carolina is pretty good.  For people without money I'd say it isn't a bad ship to get and keep.  Alabama is way better.  The Massachusetts hype may mean it will be a better ship but I doubt it will be as fun to play.  I like the short and turny Battleships.

I'm looking forward to Amagi as well.  Since the Japanese premiums are supposed to be bad maybe I'll keep it.  Kii is one of the rarest ships to encounter, I have found.

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,424 battles

I've been enjoying my Kii more lately. I need to take it out more often but shes always been a solid performer. 
Playing a Bismarck, Tirp, or Alabama seems to get me focused more often than not >_>

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles

Except for Monarch, all the Tier VIII BBs are fabulous.  You'll be very hard pressed to find a BB tier where most of the BBs there are this competitive with each other.  Practically all these Tier VIII BBs are good enough and understandable to me for someone to hang their hat on as their favorite ship.

Tirpitz

NC

Amagi

Alabama

Bismarck

Kii

These are all good ships.  The only as close in competitiveness is Tier X BBs.  None of the Tier X BBs suck while Tier VIII only has one that is mediocre.  Every other tier but VIII & X has too many lackluster BBs for their tiers.

It is also no coincidence, that on NA server in the last 2 weeks, Tier VIII BBs are the most played BBs.  The Top 5 BBs most played in 2 weeks for NA server:

Tier VIII Bismarck 53,162 matches

Tier VIII NC 49,148

Tier X Montana 40,427

Tier IX Missouri 39,838

Tier VIII Tirpitz 38,708

On 12/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Colorado has the accuracy to do great things but it's in a Tier where people know how to move around, and since you can never get to where you need to go the opportunities are few.  North Carolina is pretty good.  For people without money I'd say it isn't a bad ship to get and keep.  Alabama is way better.  The Massachusetts hype may mean it will be a better ship but I doubt it will be as fun to play.  I like the short and turny Battleships.

I'm looking forward to Amagi as well.  Since the Japanese premiums are supposed to be bad maybe I'll keep it.  Kii is one of the rarest ships to encounter, I have found.

You'll like Amagi.  Ever since WoWS launch in 2015, Amagi has consistently done well.  The advantage was more pronounced when it was simply just her and NC before the latter got buffs.  Still, Amagi holds up well in the highly competitive realm of Tier VIII BBs.

She's pretty trollish in the hands of some savvy players that know how to play her.  There were threads around the boards where brawling Bismarck players complained they couldn't citadel Amagi they way they did other BBs.

I don't play my Amagi as much as I should since I jump around ships frequently but the impression I get is she will shine.  Enjoy it.  Because Izumo lies afterwards :Smile_hiding:

Edit again:  Shell selection is of great importance for Amagi.  You have lots of guns and good dispersion.  But your AP doesn't have the Mega Pen capability of USN 16"/45 or 16"/50 AP shells.  Don't just sit on HE or AP only, use both.  A faceful of Amagi HE is exactly what the doctor ordered in some circumstances, while you still have the power of her upgraded AP to make people pay.  Get out of that stock config though.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
4,221 posts
9,692 battles

It's still the Bismarck for me with secondary build and 19-pt captain. The most comfortable BB to brawl in for myself and, let's face it, brawling is the most fun in a BB if you can avoid getting torped to death.

Beta Testers
11 posts
4,524 battles

Alabama all the way. With my AA spec North Carolina captain you get high 90s AA and with 40+ percent torpedo damage reduction and unmatched agility you are hard to harass. Slow shell velocity takes some getting used to but the ship excels in mid range combat. She has accurate and hard hitting guns typical of US BBs. Personally, I like it more than the North Carolina. Second favorite is the Kii. She has troll AA as well and enough speed to get around the battle and adjust to threats. Common complaint about the Kii is lackluster armor. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles
16 hours ago, DuckSoapLaserTowel said:

Alabama all the way. With my AA spec North Carolina captain you get high 90s AA and with 40+ percent torpedo damage reduction and unmatched agility you are hard to harass. Slow shell velocity takes some getting used to but the ship excels in mid range combat. She has accurate and hard hitting guns typical of US BBs. Personally, I like it more than the North Carolina. Second favorite is the Kii. She has troll AA as well and enough speed to get around the battle and adjust to threats. Common complaint about the Kii is lackluster armor. 

I still remember taking Alabama out on day 1 of her release, finding a Tirpitz to knife fight with and put the TDS to the test.

Alabama survived the torpedoes.  Tirpitz didn't survive American Piercing Shells.

[THREE]
Members
2,300 posts
12,376 battles

Hey

I enjoy my Bismarck for a T8 BB (was my only one, LOL) but just scored a Tirpitz + 10 pt captain in a Santa box yesterday, now I can do an alt. build from my Bismarck.

Pete

[BSL]
Members
1,127 posts
19,557 battles

Santa just gave me Kii & Bama so I don't have much experience in them.  I prolly like Tirp best cause I'm too aggressive.  

In general though, I only play T8 ships to collect the daily bonus and then move on up to higher tiers.

Members
1,714 posts
8,402 battles
On 12/11/2017 at 8:10 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Would you believe the fourth purchase seems to be working for me <lmbo> as I'm actually enjoy the Colo as she is now, fully-upgraded with a decent commander. She plays a whole lot better this way than her stock way, that's for dang sure. 

Your personal skill level probably has a lot to do with getting Colorado to work too — She’s really the most archtypical BB in the game, so she works best once you know how to aim, know here a BB should move to, know how to angle, and know when and how hard to push. 

Sign in to follow this