Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Holy Wall of Torpedos Batman!

28 comments in this topic

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Just came out of a match that had 5 Shimekaze and a Midway on enemy team (our team also had 5 DDs and a Midway, but our DDs were of mixed type). I couldn't count all the torpedos on my screen. We got wiped out (one Shimekaze had 5 kills, one had 4, the other had 3). That's right, their Shimekaze's alone wiped out our entire team.

15 torpedos from the front, 6 from each side from a Midway cross-drop, another 15 from front-right, another 15 from front-left ... ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

It was ridiculous how fast they tore thru our entire team.... Ok, rant over, had to vent. No this is not a "nerf this or buff that thread", just venting.

Beta Testers
350 posts
19,919 battles
30 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Just came out of a match that had 5 Shimekaze and a Midway on enemy team (our team also had 5 DDs and a Midway, but our DDs were of mixed type). I couldn't count all the torpedos on my screen. We got wiped out (one Shimekaze had 5 kills, one had 4, the other had 3). That's right, their Shimekaze's alone wiped out our entire team.

15 torpedos from the front, 6 from each side from a Midway cross-drop, another 15 from front-right, another 15 from front-left ... ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

It was ridiculous how fast they tore thru our entire team.... Ok, rant over, had to vent. No this is not a "nerf this or buff that thread", just venting.

Hy can you post the replay?

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,799 posts
14,724 battles

go submarine in those game, I can felt your pain from reading the description!

Ouch

[SYN]
Members
15,684 posts
12,778 battles

Your team would have had to be losing a lot of ground to be encompassed by shimas that were spread out so much.

Like, literally, what was your friendly Midway doing? It had the best tools to nuke every shima on their team, what with his 2x barcode droppers and all.

• Cool 1

[NOT]
Members
1,044 posts
6,283 battles
16 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Your team would have had to be losing a lot of ground to be encompassed by shimas that were spread out so much.

Like, literally, what was your friendly Midway doing? It had the best tools to nuke every shima on their team, what with his 2x barcode droppers and all.

Literally this, since he only need to park the fighters on 2 DDs and nail the 3rd one with his bar-code drop, and keep repeating

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
426 posts
10,352 battles

can I have replay :o amazing to see 5 dds coordinate torp drops that well

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,270 posts
18,450 battles
5 hours ago, Muki41 said:

this (and a huge dose of "where is the replay?")

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,130 posts
6,779 battles
5 hours ago, Muki41 said:

Amazing? I think it’s terrifying to watch :o

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,135 posts
11,881 battles
6 hours ago, Muki41 said:

My guess is op suddenly finds out his replay did not work. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,684 posts
12,778 battles

I've been on the opposite end of providing torp walls.

It basically boils down to one team having total map control while the other does not.

This one time, while I was on PT, Shima, Fletcher, Ibuki and my Udaloi were all able to toss their torps at an incoming Yamato.
Needless to say, the Yam died, but at that point in the game, it was already 8vs3, so they had no choice but to come charging at my team.

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
9 hours ago, Batwingsix said:

And people still complain that they are unusable now....

Quantity has a quality all it's own.   With that many DD's and torps out there, it ends up being a match for the DD's.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,169 posts
4,954 battles

I love running my Z52, it makes me feel great to literally STOMP on those torp spammers. 

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

11 hours ago, Batwingsix said:

And people still complain that they are unusable now....

No people complain because of the other DD lines that do everything the IJN DD's were supposed to do but better. The only thing IJN DD's have left to their advantage is, detection (sometimes) and torp damage.

1 hour ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Shimas cannot be that effective with just as many opposing DDs AND a CV. I'm highly suspicious that 3 Shimas killed 12 ships. 

Agreed, OP's statement reeks of hyperbole.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

3 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

No people complain because of the other DD lines that do everything the IJN DD's were supposed to do but better. The only thing IJN DD's have left to their advantage is, detection (sometimes) and torp damage.

Agreed, OP's statement reeks of hyperbole.

I only have two screenshots from that game, taken 15 seconds apart. I saw torps coming from my left, so I entered a nearby smokescreen and immediately had to throw into reverse to avoid a crisscross of torps to the right of the screenshot (in front of my DD). The criss cross was from a DD in one direction, and two sets of torpedo bombers from the other. I believe you can see one set flying away on one of the screenshots just before it got out of detection range. In the first screenshot you can see 25 torpedos (there were more off screen to the right). Fair warning - I was using a different program to grab screenshots than I normally do, and for some reason red came out as blue, and green came out as a yellowish-green in these pics. I have no idea why HyperSnap did that (Overwolf wasn't running and I didn't launch the game thru Steam so I had to use HyperSnap to grab the shot).

Fifteen seconds later I started to move forward again, I looked back (freelook) and grabbed another screenshot. In this one you can see 32 enemy torpedos.

Sorry I can't show a screenshot of 300000 torpedos but quite frankly I was too busy dodging them to look for the scroll lock key (hot key) to grab a screenshot.

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles
14 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Not to be rude, but why do you think a smoke bank is the best spot to be if you didn't want to encounter torps? 

Yeah... That's like walking into the middle of a freeway in rush hour.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I went into the smokescreen because torpedos weren't the only threat, I was spotted by the torpedo bombers and several enemy ships were firing at me. If I had gone forward into the first bunch of torps, I wouldn't have been able to WASD to avoid the incoming shells. So I went into the smoke to 1) hide from enemy planes hoping they'd go after someone else, 2) to avoid the incoming shells and reset my detection range. Yes, I know smoke attracts torps, but let's face it, they already fired them and would take a bit to reload. I have that much time to exit.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Don't blame the destroyer, your team was bad enough to run into the most easily detected torpedoes in the game multiple times.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
30 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Don't blame the destroyer, your team was bad enough to run into the most easily detected torpedoes in the game multiple times.

When did I blame the destroyer? I was playing one myself. I was simply venting frustration at the sheer number of torpedos in that game. At no point did I call for a nerf to anything or anyone, nor did I call for a buff to anything or anyone. I was simply venting frustration at so many torpedos coming from different directions that it was impossible to dodge them all (which is how our team got wiped out). Was my team perfect - heck no. Had they played better could the results have been different? Probably. But that wasn't the point of the thread, it was simply to vent over the sheer number of torpedos in the match, which when fired from different directions, and given their long range, made it impossible to dodge.

I congratulate the enemy team for getting 5 DDs not divisioned together to actually work together like that. After the two of us on B were killed, and the one on C, the enemy team swept thru and sandwiched our forces who were down by A. Did our forces there fail to advance - yes, but again that's not the point of the thread. How many times do you see a match with FIVE shimekazes, and the only kills scored by the enemy team were all from Shimekaze kills that wipe out a whole team. Silly me for wanting to post something about it. I think people are reading too much into these posts. ;-)

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
12 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

When did I blame the destroyer?

When you complained that your entire team died to them via pointing out the kill counts of the destroyers.

But at least you're owning it. Most players would be whining for nerfs after such an experience.

Edited by AraAragami

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,271 battles
1 hour ago, Canadatron said:

Not to be rude, but why do you think a smoke bank is the best spot to be if you didn't want to encounter torps? 

Pretty much. Had two Kidds camp smoke in B cap on islands of ice recently. My Harikaze and two Fletcher's unloaded into that smoke cloud at about the same time. 36 torps meere seconds apart led to 2 dead destroyers. 

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
1 hour ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Remember kids IJN DDs are underpowered and unplayable, hence why there are so many of them being played.

[edited] marketing, telling people IJN DD's are best torp boats, and people believing it?

Sign in to follow this