You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

Granny is turning 99 but it's the 100th Birthday and other things that we think of wrongly

21 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

So here goes, Why do we delete 1 birthday? Yes I am talking about your actual Birthday. Let's call it day "Zero" and no one counts it as a birthday. I say it is the only actual birthday, there after it is only Birthiversaries. I know, you are saying, SD, wth, you are picking nits. I say, not really, when you get married it is called your wedding day right? and from then on it is called an anniversary. Which seems odd because, if your Wedding day is your "Zero" Wedding day. Wouldn't the first one, be your first Weddingday or Wedday for short? So, why do we call it an Anniversary (which by the way has nothing to do with the word Wedding)?

I therefore suggest that we start counting the actual day as number 1 (Birthdays and Wedding days) and then after that these days start at 2, so the 1rst anniversary of your Birth and Wedding day would be called the 2nd. Just saying.

So why does this apply to these Forums? Well, it's mostly because the only reason I started playing this game is because, I left where I lived and enjoyed an outdoor life style, to take care of Granny, a pretty much indoor life style (albeit, with reliable internet) and started playing this game with you fine people. I will go back to the life that I am happy with, when Granny Sinks, but her Mother was a month from 102 (103 in real Birthdays) and her Aunt was 106 (107 in real Birthdays) So I might be here fore a while. Mostly because I try to be good at what ever I do.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

No matter if the job is big or small do it right or not at all. Play the game, like you should play life. There is no small player on the team, they all contribute to the out come or they FAIL.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
9,915 posts
13,295 battles
13 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So here goes, Why do we delete 1 birthday? Yes I am talking about your actual Birthday. Let's call it day "Zero" and no one counts it as a birthday. I say it is the only actual birthday, there after it is only Birthiversaries. I know, you are saying, SD, wth, you are picking nits. I say, not really, when you get married it is called your wedding day right? and from then on it is called an anniversary. Which seems odd because, if your Wedding day is your "Zero" Wedding day. Wouldn't the first one, be your first Weddingday or Wedday for short? So, why do we call it an Anniversary (which by the way has nothing to do with the word Wedding)?

I therefore suggest that we start counting the actual day as number 1 (Birthdays and Wedding days) and then after that these days start at 2, so the 1rst anniversary of your Birth and Wedding day would be called the 2nd. Just saying.

So why does this apply to these Forums? Well, it's mostly because the only reason I started playing this game is because, I left where I lived and enjoyed an outdoor life style, to take care of Granny, a pretty much indoor life style (albeit, with reliable internet) and started playing this game with you fine people. I will go back to the life that I am happy with, when Granny Sinks, but her Mother was a month from 102 (103 in real Birthdays) and her Aunt was 106 (107 in real Birthdays) So I might be here fore a while. Mostly because I try to be good at what ever I do.

long story short, when you are one year old you are...

wait for it

ONE YEAR OLD,,,,

when you are 99....

guess what....

YEP that is correct, NINTY NINE YEARS OLD... it is your 99th year....

making it sound like you did is clever...and as a technicality somewhat correct..I will give you that...semantics seems to be your forte...

well done for the wordplay

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles
3 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

long story short, when you are one year old you are...

wait for it

ONE YEAR OLD,,,,

when you are 99....

guess what....

YEP that is correct, NINTY NINE YEARS OLD... it is your 99th year....

making it sound like you did is clever...and as a technicality somewhat correct..I will give you that...semantics seems to be your forte...

well done for the wordplay

Thanks, I think?, yes, just word play a pun of a sort. is at least a C+?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
9,915 posts
13,295 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Thanks, I think?, yes, just word play a pun of a sort. is at least a C+?

sure.. and you are welcome....I was not being mean or derogatory...

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
728 battles

I fully appreciate you for not only the time you took to post that but also what you wrote. You're an awesome dude to take care of Granny and tell her the WoWS Team wishes her a very happy birthday. Tell her we are also very fortunate to have met the awesome SovereignDawg!

Members
566 posts
2,124 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You are strange man. But most humorous. Thank you for sharing your oddness with us.  

[REVY]
Members
6,456 posts
5,168 battles

Well for one, the "zeroth" birthday was not a celebration.  It was an unexpected time when I was born premature and my mom had to undergo surgery for the c-section.  I had to go into one of those life support machines for a week and my Dad couldn't even visit me because he had pneumonia.  I can very well see why the day of birth is not counted as a celebration, ie "birthday".

Members
2,842 posts
8,753 battles

No matter if the job is big or small do it right or not at all. Play the game, like you should play life. There is no small player on the team, they all contribute to the out come or they FAIL.

Dawg, if you and I had been kids together I have a feeling we would have been good friends. Respect your posts but don't always agree with you but you got this one.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts

You're confusing Birthday with Birth Day. You celebrate the anniversary of your birth.....no one brings cake to a birth....:Smile_teethhappy:

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

Well for one, the "zeroth" birthday was not a celebration.  It was an unexpected time when I was born premature and my mom had to undergo surgery for the c-section.  I had to go into one of those life support machines for a week and my Dad couldn't even visit me because he had pneumonia.  I can very well see why the day of birth is not counted as a celebration, ie "birthday".

To be sure though most of us spend our birthday with our mother.

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
319 posts
9,195 battles

Well said Sovereigndawg, great play on words my friend, but what happens when you throw in a leap year here and there ? Let me see you figure that one out.

[RST]
Members
478 posts
10,299 battles
15 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Glad to find someone else views it like I do...your "birthday" really marks the completion of a year, not the start.  So, when I turned 50 earlier this year it really marked the completion of my 50th lap around the sun, and I am well into my 51st lap (today is for example the 51st December 11th I have been alive on this planet), yet I am "50".  Go figure. 

My wife hates me looking at it like that though, as it makes us "older" than we think we are.

Members
2,842 posts
8,753 battles
10 hours ago, Sere_Pj said:

Well said Sovereigndawg, great play on words my friend, but what happens when you throw in a leap year here and there ? Let me see you figure that one out

You just had to do that. He almost had me convinced!

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,990 battles

It has always been my opinion that birthday celebrations should be about Mom and Dad.  I was present at my birth, but, to be honest, I did little to participate in it.  Mom and the medical professionals present did most of the work.  In fact, I am pretty sure that I resisted it, and that I got fussy after they pulled me out of my nice, warm abode with automatic feeding mechanics and dragged me out into a cold, harsh world where I would have to start to learn to fend for myself.  Even then, the only thing that really ties to that event each year is that it is another year that I have not accidentally offed myself.  Not sure why that is supposed to be a matter of celebration.

My parents, on the other hand, brought me into the world and took care of me until I did learn to fend for myself.  I think they deserved more credit than I do.

Either way, I have to agree with some of what has been said.  "Birthday" is different than your "birth day," i.e., the day of your birth.  It is synonymous with your Birthiversary concept.  As such, when you turn 100, you have not gone through 100 birth days because you have not been birthed 100 times.  You have had 100 annual celebrations of your birth (birthdays).  Besides, you are 100 years old when you turn 100 on your 100th birthday, not 101 birthdays (including the "first.").

Either way, clever read, and kudos to you for your service to your family.

[PVE]
Members
5,017 posts
22,432 battles
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Sovereigndawg said:

Birthiversaries

That word should go in the dictionaries right away & should replace "Birthday" as the appropriate term.

BTW...before the 1600s you were considered 1(or more appropriately "in your 1st year")at birth but the # 0 hadn't been "put into play" yet(as opposed to it actually being invented sometime ago in the BC years)so after it was included in the counting system you were only days/weeks/months old(which is more accurate)& you didn't turn 1 until you had actually achieved existence for a year.

Now...to contradict my parenthesis above "(which is more accurate)"...to be truly accurate you have to account for 9 months in the womb(time that contrary to "medical/legal" jargon is time that you are actually alive...thus adding(usually 9 months...but your results may vary)to your "actual" age.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

Not too long ago, maternal and infant mortality was great enough that a birth was more a time of consternation than celebration. If the infant reached one year of age then it standed a much better chance of surviving.  Maternal and infant mortality rates dropped precipitously after WWII and the advent of antibiotics, even in the US. Of course, with this came a concomitant surge in the world population because people were still having as many kids as they did back when a good number of them didn't survive. People sometimes pine for the "good old days" but we've actually got it much much better today.

130906_TL_MaternalMortalityChart.png.CRO

m4838a2f1.gif

Violence-Stylized-2.png

[REVY]
Members
6,456 posts
5,168 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Not too long ago, maternal and infant mortality was great enough that a birth was more a time of consternation than celebration. If the infant reached one year of age then it standed a much better chance of surviving.  Maternal and infant mortality rates dropped precipitously after WWII and the advent of antibiotics, even in the US. Of course, with this came a concomitant surge in the world population because people were still having as many kids as they did back when a good number of them didn't survive. People sometimes pine for the "good old days" but we've actually got it much much better today.

130906_TL_MaternalMortalityChart.png.CRO

m4838a2f1.gif

Violence-Stylized-2.png

I'm sure those charts would have inverted if the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't go so well.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
46 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I'm sure those charts would have inverted if the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't go so well.

The bumps in the homicide rate are very interesting. The first occurred during the American Revolution, which was actually a civil war, with as many Americans fighting each other in some areas as they were the British Army. The second, of course, occurred during the US Civil War. In civil wars, it's not just the armies clashing while the rest of the populace remains peacefully at home.  A small bump occurred during the days of the "Wild West" as well. The next was the result of a prohibition on alcohol, which was one of the most idiotic mistakes the government ever made. However, the government didn't learn that by banning the intoxicants that a percentage of the population always seems to want that it doesn't do anything but create criminals and crime, including homicides. The final bump was during the "drug war" of the 80s and 90s.

Edited by Snargfargle

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,504 battles

Birthday,

a Day for which you should thank your Mother, and give a high five to Dad.

[ADOPT]
Members
1,270 posts
6,783 battles

Interesting way to look at it.

It reminds me of how it's is the 2000s yet it is called the 21st century.

It could be applied to that as well although I guess I am soo used to the system I feel it sounds better verbally lol.