Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snowyskies

View access restrictions on forums

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
253 posts

Is there any good reason as to why access to some of the parts of the forums is restricted so that you can only view them if you are logged in? Right now I need to log in to check out e.g. Player Feature and Gameplay Suggestions and the likes. What justification could there be as to having it view restricted in that way? There's nothing secret there that only players should be able to view after all.

I just don't get it and I'd like to see it changed so that the login requirement is removed.

 

I hesitated putting this thread in Forum Issues, as it's not really a technical problem as such. Don't see any better place to ask about it though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
670
[PVE]
Members
1,709 posts
7,788 battles

Hey!  I certainly do not want complete strangers viewing my stuff, if they are registered and logged in, that's different.:Smile_amazed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
848 posts
5,639 battles

I tend to see that if a question is a more sensitive topic, or centred around game balance / core components of the game, it gets restricted to logged in users only. General topics about ships or simple observations or questions are unrestricted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,126 posts
10,600 battles

The forum is for players, not for the world at large. I see no problem with viewing restrictions. Most forums have a restriction built in, these days. Also, if simply logging in is such a huge issue for you, perhaps this is something you shouldn't be doing. It's a simple matter of a few key strokes, you can even stay logged in, so, yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
253 posts

You can, as an example, view the General Discussion part of the forum without logging in and that has arguably more sensitive stuff in it than something like the Player Feature and Gameplay Suggestions. All kind of complaints and gameplay related stuff is posted there showing perceived flaws, bug and problems with the game and its player base.

 

As for it only being for players, do note that you need a NA account to view these restricted forums at the moment. If you link something in them from the EU forums then they'd have to create and account here simply to view that stuff. Furthermore these restrictions were not present from the start, they added them after the forum shuffle/change they did some time ago. Not that I see why'd they be such exclusive player only forums anyway. Being able to view them isn't the same as posting in them after all, not like some non-player viewing them would disrupt anyone as far as I can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
764
[LOU1]
Members
4,094 posts
11,423 battles

There is also the desire of forum owners to encourage people to register for their forum.  There are many reasons for that, but basically it is to increase the reported number of forum members.  Especially important for forums that are monetized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,236
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,272 posts
18,453 battles
2 hours ago, Snowyskies said:

Is there any good reason as to why access to some of the parts of the forums is restricted so that you can only view them if you are logged in?

Seriously, logging into the Forum so you can use some of it's features is your biggest problem? Dude, I want your life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,639
Members
9,915 posts
13,288 battles
2 hours ago, Snowyskies said:

Is there any good reason as to why access to some of the parts of the forums is restricted so that you can only view them if you are logged in? Right now I need to log in to check out e.g. Player Feature and Gameplay Suggestions and the likes. What justification could there be as to having it view restricted in that way? There's nothing secret there that only players should be able to view after all.

I just don't get it and I'd like to see it changed so that the login requirement is removed.

 

I hesitated putting this thread in Forum Issues, as it's not really a technical problem as such. Don't see any better place to ask about it though

 

2 hours ago, Snowyskies said:

You can, as an example, view the General Discussion part of the forum without logging in and that has arguably more sensitive stuff in it than something like the Player Feature and Gameplay Suggestions. All kind of complaints and gameplay related stuff is posted there showing perceived flaws, bug and problems with the game and its player base.

 

As for it only being for players, do note that you need a NA account to view these restricted forums at the moment. If you link something in them from the EU forums then they'd have to create and account here simply to view that stuff. Furthermore these restrictions were not present from the start, they added them after the forum shuffle/change they did some time ago. Not that I see why'd they be such exclusive player only forums anyway. Being able to view them isn't the same as posting in them after all, not like some non-player viewing them would disrupt anyone as far as I can see.

4L3PgqD.jpg

 

 

 

 

2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Seriously, logging into the Forum so you can use some of it's features is your biggest problem? Dude, I want your life.

zVVAQEZ.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×