Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Red_Hammer_Fleet

Gnevny to Minsk Grind

12 comments in this topic

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
152 posts
1,659 battles

How bad is it? I've been grinding my DDs by tier (all to T6, then all to T7, and so on), and finally unlocked the Gnevny. I hated the Podvoisky (hereafter the Pod), and am not seeing much to encourage hope for more enjoyable gameplay until T8. So just lay it out: how hard is this going to suck?

I'll probably do every other DD in my port first, then just do the band-aid thing and grind to the Minsk before going for T8.

[BLUE_]
Members
480 posts
18,773 battles

You need to be a bit more specific. Are u struggling with the turret traverse? How far away or close are u fighting? Which captain build are you using? Torps aren't reliable?

Because from my PoV there's no hint what is the issue you are having with Gnevny.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

Its not bad at all the Gnevny is actually a fun little dd just short range torps the Minsk is a beast.

Members
1,380 posts
4,100 battles

Stay at 10km , wiggle slightly and spam HE on stuff.

Don't feel obliged to rush to cap; you're more a cruiser than a DD.

Forget you have torpedoes. They're mostly for self defence (wide spay at USN DD if accidentally knife fighting with one)

Took about ~30 games to click with me; assume you're a speedy CL rather than a DD: will get you in the right frame of mind...

[WOLFB]
Members
3,372 posts
14,031 battles

Gnevny is decent... I've played her before the split and I quite enjoyed her.

Minsk is a really fun and good ship. You still have that long turret traverse but compared to Gnevny you gain a lot of manoeuvrability (through speed mostly) and survivability (through manoeuvrability). Guns are good and with AFT the range is good. Unlike Gnevny you can push cap and bail out if spotted. Pushing cap where there are severals island helps you because you can use your speed to quickly contest a cap (and sometime force the ennemi team to not go into your cap because they are afraid of a DD) and if a DD is trying to pick a fight with you, you can just use the island to block line of sight and bail out with your speed.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Minsk is basically the same ship as Podvoisky- incrementally improved, raised up 2 tiers, and with better matchmaking.   I actually loved my Podski, and really like Minsk.  Podvoisky is the prototype for Minsk and Leningrad.  (Leningrad is absolutely worth the purchase, whenever it hits the premium shop again.  It's essentially Minsk with 8 km torpedoes.) 

Gnevny is another matter.

When I got it, it was the tier 5, and was a decently fun to play ship.  Then came the split, and it got bumped up to tier 6- with no changes.  Imo, tier 6 matchmaking absolutely sucks moose balls anyway, but Gnevny was an awful performer for me, and I hated it.  Sold it the instant I got enough xp to play Minsk.    There are 2 premium reskins of it: Gremmy and Anshan.  

WG considered Gremmy so OP, that they won't sell it any longer.  It was way better than Gnevny as a tier 5, and remained tier 5 when Gnevny got bumped up to T6.  So you have a BETTER copy of the ship, 1 tier lower...  Anshan is also a better copy, but at least it's also tier 6.

In a nutshell, Gnevny is basically the grindwall of the VMF DD line.  A decidedly meh ship in the worst mm bracket.  It has one less main gun than Podvoisky, and the usual suicide range Russian torpedoes.  To me, it felt like a downgrade from Podvoisky...

It does get better after that- Minsk is a pretty good ship, Kiev is even better.  I haven't played any of the alternate line ships yet, though I do have Ognevoi.

I'm pretty sure Mousie has reviews up of all of these ships.

[FTBAS]
[FTBAS]
Members
25 posts
3,224 battles

I love gnevny, it's a good ship if you know how to play with it.

Use your speed to stay in his maximum range, after this, just do the hell on earth, by burning everything and everyone. only use the torpedoes against other DD's or in ambushes behind the islands, since it has a good damage and they are fast.

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

I've really enjoyed the Minsk. It's one of my winningest ships at this point. I also didn't care for the Russians, other than the Storozhevoi (which I still have). But as someone above mentioned, the Minsk can be a beast.

[JHSAV]
Beta Testers
39 posts
8,811 battles

The Minsk is def worth the grind. Hang in there. Remember you are a gun boat, not a torp monster. Just load HE, stay concealed and watch the damage rise.

[H_]
Members
745 posts
11,542 battles

I personally could not stand the Podvoisky  and did horrible with it.  Gnevny is somewhat better I've had good games and some really flaming bad ones also.

I've actually gotten to use the torps even, first game I played in it I sunk two ships with torps which I found to be just amazing, lot of luck involved and a Bismarck that was nice enough to play target while I got close enough to spam his opponent with torps from the other side. Pure luck really.

Have had a few ambushes that have worked, more that didn't..  But overall I can at least accomplish something with the Gnevny which I could not do with the POD.

I've played against a few Minsk's and Lenningrads both seem to be very good boats, also the Kiev falls into that category as well.  Time will tell ..

[DDMAF]
Members
2,587 posts
15,637 battles

I'm not a terribly good player...unless I'm in the Gnevny. I love it. Minsk is fun, if you're into getting detonated every three games.

Leningrad is worth the money. For me, it's the best ship in the game.

Sign in to follow this