You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

Just got Aoba Today

49 comments in this topic

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

So I just bought Aoba today...

shot-17_12.10_12_36_36-0994.thumb.jpg.d377dc91973c0808cacfa7d1a4d0a1d3.jpg

What order should I research the modules in?

I'm planning to grind out B hull first in operations grinding GFCS next, would that be the best course of action?

What signals should I fly? Right now I'm only flying detonation flags.

I carried over my 7-point captain over from Furutaka and he is undergoing retraining and is using Preventative Maintenance (in retrospect, Priority Target might have been better), Expert Marksman, and Demolition Expert.

Right... and what upgrades should I use?

Edited by warpath_33

Members
832 posts
1,264 battles

Use the fire starting flags and xp flags for an easier grind (and maybe commander xp flags for retraining)

Edited by MeKanism
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,910 battles

For module research, get the hull for AA and maneuverability. Aoba needs to duck and weave, then the FCS.

Fire flags, speed flags are good, and economic flags.

For the commander my recommendations are, Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demo Expert, Concealment, Adrenaline Rush. After that it's personal choice.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles

I actually dropped IJN Cruisers at Aoba. Hated that thing. Hope it goes better for you. Note the torps are almost useless due to being mounted at rear of ship and requiring basically going broadside to use on any ship you aren't running away from.

I would actually go with the gun upgrade 1st as the stock range of just 13.6km is horrible. Not great with the upgrade but 14.9km is a lot better than 13.6km. The hull upgrade wouldn't be an awful choice though with the greatly improved rudder shift and a good boost to your AA. Not much of a HP gain though (just 1400) which is why I say go guns 1st.

Congrats on your ship and good luck  with it. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

After playing Operation Killer Whale in Aoba here's what I think:

Holy :etc_swear: I knew her torpedo arcs were bad but I didn't know they were that bad!

Short range I can deal with (Leander)

When I'm not broke anymore from buying Aoba I'm thinking of Main Battery Mod. 1, Propulsion Mod 1, Main Battery Mod 2 since Aoba fires quickly already and because those turrets are really sluggish, and Steering Gears Modification 2. Sound good?

Edited by warpath_33
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,533 posts
12,810 battles

Yeah, Aoba is pretty much crap these days, however, Myoko is worth it.  After Aoba most of the IJN line is pretty good.  If I were doing it again from scratch, my order of grind would be fire control, then the B hull.  I think you will use the extra range more than the handful of hitpoints and AA.

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles
3 hours ago, warpath_33 said:

After playing Operation Killer Whale in Aoba here's what I think:

Holy :etc_swear: I knew her torpedo arcs were bad but I didn't know they were that bad!

Short range I can deal with (Leander)

When I'm not broke anymore from buying Aoba I'm thinking of Main Battery Mod. 1, Propulsion Mod 1, Main Battery Mod 2 since Aoba fires quickly already and because those turrets are really sluggish, and Steering Gears Modification 2. Sound good?

Yup, the arcs are THAT bad. Leander has short range but close to 2X's the ROF as Aoba + useful torps + smoke. Huge difference. For me anyway.

As far as the upgrade slots check out the WG wiki on Aoba for what they recommend (at bottom)

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aoba

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles
3 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Yeah, Aoba is pretty much crap these days, however, Myoko is worth it.  After Aoba most of the IJN line is pretty good.  If I were doing it again from scratch, my order of grind would be fire control, then the B hull.  I think you will use the extra range more than the handful of hitpoints and AA.

That is what I think and recommended as well.

[PSV]
Supertester
73 posts
7,255 battles

I'm gonna echo the "FCS" then B hull load out. I'd stay away from the turret rotation mod, Expert Marksman should be fine (muh DPM) As for flags, also agree with the fire/XP flags to help speed things along, because you are probably gonna want to do that. There are only 2 ships in this game that I have played through with under a 50% wr, and the Aoba is one of them. admittedly, I was still fairly~ new back then but I absolutely loved the furutaka (back when it only had the B hull) so IDK. it just never meshed with me. my best advice would be make sure to stay mobile and try to find isolated targets, or targets busy shooting things other than you (aoba blows up pretty easily). don't rely on your torps: they are more for OH GOD I MUST RUN moments, or for cheeky island ambushing.  
Captain skills should be Priority target, EM, Demo, Concealment, AR, and I'd probably take SI for the extra heal at high tier and extra Def AA or Hydro. If you want to dip your toes into clans one day, RPF zao is actually really useful in clan wars. 

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles

OP,

I must have LOST MY MIND :Smile_facepalm: but I feel bad for you grinding this turd of a ship so I have repurchased it and will finish it with you. :Smile_honoring:

I was 1/2 way+ to the T7 Myoko when I dropped Aoba a long time ago. Everyone says how great Myoko is and then Mogami especially so I will give the Aoba one more shot. I figure if I can replay Omaha to get ready for the US Cruiser line split (building XP in anticipation of having to research the new T6 CL Dallas), and I can go back and give Russian Cruisers another try after dropping them at T5, I can give that arm pit of a ship Aoba another whirl.  So I am with you bud. :Smile_amazed:

I am going to consider it a challenge to get through the ship without committing seppuku and to try and beat my old high score in the ship of 109K and 3 kills.

I transferred an 8 pt BB Capt to the ship and will use that to get through Aoba and then throw it on Myoko. For upgrades I went with MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, and SGM2. I was able to just buy the hull and fire control upgrades and mount them as I had them researched before. So at least I don't have to play it stock again. God that  was awful!

Oh lord what have I done...LOL :Smile_facepalm:

WpEHLte.jpg

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

I went ahead and got the turret rotation upgrade (extra 0.6 second reload isn't that bad) and now I actually have under 30 seconds of 180 degree turret traverse! (wheeeee)

Yeah, I'll probably get GFCS first. One of the main reasons I get hull upgrades is for extra maneuverability and Aoba already turns almost as well stock as some cruisers fully upgraded. This does mean that I'll have to rely on Defensive Fire to keep planes off me though.

Finished retraining the captain too.

Right now I basically just do what I do with Yorck and just spam HE from afar.

Edited by warpath_33

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles

Hang in there OP there is light at the end of the tunnel. It took me 62 total games between Random and Co-op, and between the 1st go round with it where I gave up and this recent grind with it, to finish but I am finally done with it. Thank the good lord above. How are you coming with the grind?

T7 Myoko

fl12JYF.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Hang in there OP there is light at the end of the tunnel. It took me buying Aoba 2X's and 62 total games between Random and Co-op with it but I am done with it. Thank the good lord above. How are you coming with the grind?

Didn't play much today. Still completely stock except for Main Battery Mod. 2 :Smile_sad:

I don't expect to play much battles till the weekend.

When I upgrade the gfcs I will be able to use Yorck style long range HE spam :cap_haloween:

Also, I'm running out of xp flags (under 20 total including special flags.) I'm now using camo as my primary source of xp boosting.

Edited by warpath_33

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles
13 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Didn't play much today. Still completely stock except for Main Battery Mod. 2 :Smile_sad:

I don't expect to play much battles till the weekend.

When I upgrade the gfcs I will be able to use Yorck style long range HE spam :cap_haloween:

Also, I'm running out of xp flags (under 20 total including special flags.) I'm now using camo as my primary source of xp boosting.

Good luck with it. :Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,774 posts
22,132 battles

I agree with Thunder, the Aoba just totally stopped my advancement of the IJN cruiser line. I absolutely hate her and probably will free xp past her when I decide to mess with it again. Will be the first ship I do this with, have always done the grind but IMHO she is just that bad. I really enjoyed Kuma (kept her) and the Furry Taco so was excited about Aoba. It really was a disappointment to me. I really enjoy cruisers and playing cruisers but just can not make Aoba work well even in co-op. I think if they gave her better torp angles that would help her immensely because as it stands now, they are totally worthless.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles

She is rough to start out, but I didn't mind her at all once she was fully upgraded.  Did a lot of kiting with her and some defensive torping.  Definitely not front-lining...

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

I would suggest aiming mod or AA mod over the turret mod.  You have the fastest-firing 203mms at your tier and for the next couple tiers, you shouldn't weaken that advantage.  The benefit to traverse is only a couple seconds; EM already brings it down to around 30 or 31 seconds which is good enough.

For captain skills, I would have ditched demo expert for vigilance.  CE should obviously be your tier 4 skill when you get to it.

[PVE]
Members
157 posts
14,245 battles

Aoba is a decent ship just not a great one.Range up-grade first then Hull and you will be fine.Forget about those torps and try to attack angled bow-on using any and all islands for hard cover to help survival. Only use your forward guns and flag the crap out of it.Myoko is gonna make you smile if you hang in there.Best of Luck

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles

LOL my 1st game in Myoko (100% stock) was going pretty good actually. I was up to 20K, had capped, and had killed 2 DD. Was turning in tight behind an island to get a torp ambush on a Gneisenau coming around when one of our DD's comes up on me (like a t-bone maneuver) and then proceeds to launch his wall of torps at the Gneisenau with me RIGHT THERE maybe 1km off his bow TURNING into them. At least half of them hit me. He then proceeded to blast me for turning into his torps. LOL :Smile_facepalm: What I don't get is he definitely sank me, for most of my HP, but didn't turn pink? Maybe it had to wait for next game? They guy deserves 100 games for how stupid he was.

Myoko is definitely better than Aoba even 100% stock. Thank god. Torp angles still suck at least on the stock hull as they too are at the back but am hoping the torp upgrade that adds another set of launchers helps. Just better though even with the torp issue. Not saying I will be a fan of it but I can see even after just 1 game, with it stock, it is so much better.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,966 battles
11 hours ago, Seraphil said:

For captain skills, I would have ditched demo expert for vigilance

Has vigilance lost some of its value with deep water torps? It does stack with hydro BUT alone it just gives you time to say "oh crap" twice instead of once. Of course not everybody will be shooting DWTs so it keeps its old value as long as you aren't facing PADDs.

[PVE]
Members
11,275 posts
21,699 battles

OP hope things are going ok in your grind through the pit that is Aoba. Trust me it gets a lot better at Myoko.  Aoba only wishes it was Myoko LOL.

Mine is still 100% stock. This was a game I just played and is only my 6th time out in it. Just so much better. Unlike all the hype I read about Nagato and Amagi being so good (not so much in my experience) in this case Myoko does appear to live up to the hype.

So how close are you to finishing Aoba?

GOQLMip.jpg

Members
1,271 posts
3,749 battles

A bit late of a reply but...

I've upgraded both modules and I'm using Main Armaments Mod. 1 (stupid 25mm turrets!), Steering Gears Mod. 1, AA mod 2, and I plan to use Propulsion Mod. 2 because I already have a fantastic rudder shift. I've run out of xp flags, so I've downloaded the Public Test next time it goes online to get some and reserved all my Storm Wind camo as a substitute. 

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
16,584 battles
On 12/10/2017 at 12:39 PM, crzyhawk said:

Aoba is OK but Tier 6 MM can be brutal. Myoko is where IJN cruisers start to shine. I still play all my 5 ARP ships and it's fun to set them up differently.