You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Code Optimization - You think they do it?

20 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,366 posts

Interestingly enough... if you load the game with a net connection... get to port... disconnect from server... the game still keeps pounding the machine. It seems - to me - the game's in-port behavior is sort of bizarre. What is the game doing when you are in port it needs to hammer on things so hard. 

This morning (Sunday the 10th) all the matches I played also were getting smacked with triple digit "ping" which everyone will almost always tell you, "That's your issue, not the game." Sure... then everyone on the red team is also claiming such performance. Guess what - can't be all our own issue at the same time. 

So it set me to wondering... with patches coming hot & heavy these days... do they have anyone optimizing the game, totally focused just on optimization? 

Members
894 posts
3,947 battles

Port is the only time my GPU fan comes on, why not in matches?  Also, I use the ocean port.  How is that possibly more graphics intensive?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,271 battles
12 minutes ago, surratus said:

Port is the only time my GPU fan comes on, why not in matches?  Also, I use the ocean port.  How is that possibly more graphics intensive?

I don't think the port is framerate limited, so the GPU processes as many frames as fast as it can. On Ocean port you are potentially running several hundred FPS through your GPU.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,910 battles

I'm troubleshooting my computer because I've seen it slow down and kick me out of game recently. It's probably GPU heat or hard drive condition.

[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts

I can only imagine what's going to happen to some of the player base on this game if Net Neutrality takes a dive.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
16 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I don't think the port is framerate limited, so the GPU processes as many frames as fast as it can. On Ocean port you are potentially running several hundred FPS through your GPU.

This is the answer. In many games the framerate goes wild in the opening menu if it is animated. In fact, said menus can be used to stress test GPUs.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
894 posts
3,947 battles
14 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Interesting.  That could be it.  I did note that the video playing in the background during log on causes my GPU fan to start up as well.  A player can see the FPS in a match, does anybody know how to see FPS in port?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
Just now, surratus said:

Interesting.  That could be it.  I did note that the video playing in the background during log on causes my GPU fan to start up as well.  A player can see the FPS in a match, does anybody know how to see FPS in port?

Some games have a configuration code you can use to show FPS but I don't know if WOWS has that. However, you can use a program like FRAPS to show frame rates.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,090 posts
18,044 battles

"Optimization" is way too broad a word. Of course they do optimization. Heck, the compiler does "optimization" without needing human intervention. If you mean hand-optimization of UI code, there were several rounds of patch notes that listed UI performance improvements explicitly.

As for why the 2D portions of the game UI are so janky, it's probably engine-related. I haven't worked with Big World specifically, but suffice it to say that 3D game engines of a certain era weren't developed or optimized to have 2D UI components in them. Either the cursor+2D components have to be implemented as a self-contained layer in scripting (rather than core engine), or they get faked as a series of paper-thin textures that float in front of the camera. Both scale badly as the complexity of the UI increases. I'd imagine by now that WG has developed a pretty solid set of scripts to make the UI work as well as it does (including the ability to mod it and so on), but perhaps they've gotten about as much as they can out of it at this point.

On other minor points: yes, the framerate is uncapped in port. If you don't have vsync on, your video card will run full blast to process frames you can't see. Turn vertical synchronization on to make it stop.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

On other minor points: yes, the framerate is uncapped in port. If you don't have vsync on, your video card will run full blast to process frames you can't see. Turn vertical synchronization on to make it stop.

You may have to do this via your video card control software as some games don't vsync in the opening menu but only when the game is playing.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,271 battles
5 minutes ago, 0crazy8s0 said:

I can only imagine what's going to happen to some of the player base on this game if Net Neutrality takes a dive.

I can: Absolutely nothing.

Here is a little fact that will blow your mind: The internet existed before 2015.

Here is another thing to make your head scatter to all corners of the room: None of the doomsday scenarios people are parroting ever came close to passing pre-2015. The FCC itself couldn't find any concrete examples when it tried to justify the rules.

The rules are expensive and attempt to solve a problem that does not exist. Getting rid of them is the right thing to do.

• Cool 1

Members
1,027 posts
6,170 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

I can: Absolutely nothing.

Here is a little fact that will blow your mind: The internet existed before 2015.

Here is another thing to make your head scatter to all corners of the room: None of the doomsday scenarios people are parroting ever came close to passing pre-2015. The FCC itself couldn't find any concrete examples when it tried to justify the rules.

The rules are expensive and attempt to solve a problem that does not exist. Getting rid of them is the right thing to do.

The FCC also said it had over 400k signatures asking for it to be dropped, and cant prove that those are even valid signatures and not from " shock" Russia, then again NY is a safe city and we all know how the GOP feels about that, I don't believe deregulating the internet like they did for the SAME people who run cable tv also run the internet now and you believe it's a good thing ? sure slow lanes and other [edited] they will pull is a solid idea ?  strongly disagree

[WOLF7]
Members
12,500 posts
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Interestingly enough... if you load the game with a net connection... get to port... disconnect from server... the game still keeps pounding the machine. It seems - to me - the game's in-port behavior is sort of bizarre. What is the game doing when you are in port it needs to hammer on things so hard. 

This morning (Sunday the 10th) all the matches I played also were getting smacked with triple digit "ping" which everyone will almost always tell you, "That's your issue, not the game." Sure... then everyone on the red team is also claiming such performance. Guess what - can't be all our own issue at the same time. 

So it set me to wondering... with patches coming hot & heavy these days... do they have anyone optimizing the game, totally focused just on optimization? 

Port used to open in a few seconds after log in. They added all those inefficient windows, prem shop, news etc, now it takes 30 secs to open...

The signs say nyet!:Smile_teethhappy:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
4 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

The FCC also said it had over 400k signatures asking for it to be dropped

It is estimated that 4 billion people use the Internet. Therefore 400,000 signatures is a very small percentage, only 0.01 percent. To put that in perspective it would be like having a federal law enacted in America because the population of a small town in Iowa though that it should be so. 

Alpha Tester
431 posts
9,938 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It is estimated that 4 billion people use the Internet. Therefore 400,000 signatures is a very small percentage, only 0.01 percent. To put that in perspective it would be like having a federal law enacted in America because the population of a small town in Iowa though that it should be so. 

Are you suggesting the US government solicits the opinions of the international community before it acts?

Since when?

[STW]
Members
254 posts
17,403 battles

Think about how much the player base spends in electricity costs each month due to the CPU and GPU's of their machines getting torqued just sitting there in Port.  It does have the added benefit of turning thousands of machines into space heaters.

Thanks Wargaming!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
5 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

turning thousands of machines into space heaters.

I have an 850 Watt PSU in my computer. It makes for a nice toasty computer room. This is not a bad thing in the winter but it really competes with the AC in the summer. 

[STW]
Members
254 posts
17,403 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I have an 850 Watt PSU in my computer. It makes for a nice toasty computer room. This is not a bad thing in the winter but it really competes with the AC in the summer. 

Yup!  It nearly pegs off one CPU and puts my 880m GPU at 75% plus just sitting there in Port.  That's way more than actually playing the game!  I can always tell when I forgot to minimize the game as my fans are cranking away and doing a spectacular job of warming up my room.  That's why we must be great full to their forethought in providing all their players with such useful space heaters.   

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,366 posts

SO the curious mind wanders, wonderingly, wondering what is going on... if it's the live port action, how about a switch to turn it off when we don't want it? Otherwise.... Only the shadow knows.....