You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iceleader

New default squadrons for Independence, Ranger aircraft carriers

12 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
1,414 battles

The new patch 6:14?/latest one,  now provides only one default group of planes. My one fighter group can not protect my carrier as well as defend bombers or torpedo squadrons trying to attack another ship. Then it takes so long to get anther fighter group up and your carrier gets wiped out. I just don't like it. When I had two fighter groups I was able to survive the battle longer. Can't win crap anymore. One win every 7 or 8 times. You will never get invitied into a clan with those numbers.

This is not fun anymore when you only have one option to use when using aircraft carriers.

Anyone have the same feelings as me. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
12,788 posts

It is different than before but you should still be able to hold off a snipe attempt while still dealing damage to the enemy team. You need to use map awareness to predict what the enemy cv is up to and counter them. More practice will help and there are some great cv training vids on YouTube from top players that can help.

Edited by RipNuN2

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,485 battles
1 hour ago, iceleader said:

When I had two fighter groups I was able to survive the battle longer. Can't win crap anymore. One win every 7 or 8 times. You will never get invitied into a clan with those numbers.

This is not fun anymore when you only have one option to use when using aircraft carriers.

Well I've personally always used the 1/1/1 setup even before the CV rework, so I had no problem with it. The 1/1/1 setup is far more balanced than the 2/0/1 setup you speak of because that setup is only good for dealing with enemy CV aircraft and getting lucky/strategic fires on an enemy that burned their DC. In fact, the 2/0/1 setup was so limited on damage I'm surprised to hear that you found so much success with it! I played as an AS Bouge and I never, ever topped my team on XP. Even if you spotted the heck out of their destroyers, you're just lacking the damage with the AS setup. I felt helpless playing an AS Bouge because if the team needed me, I couldn't help them because my damage was so poor.

And as @RipNuN2 said, you really have to look out for those carrier snipes. If you haven't seen the enemy aircraft in the first 2 minutes of the battle, that should be an instant red flag to alert you that the enemy CV is gunning for you. When you realize this, simply go up to full speed if you haven't already and bring your fighters back. You may have to be more defensive with your strike aircraft since your fighters can no longer protect them, but if you need those fighters to protect against a snipe, then it will help you and your team out in the long run for sure! Wish you luck!

Members
832 posts
1,264 battles

I love the improvements. No more AS Bogue and mid tier USN CVs are pretty fun now imo

Clan Supertest Coordinator
1,817 posts
8,649 battles

Yes 211 should have been the right answer for Lexington and Ranger but WG decided not to for reasons.

However 111 and 112 is perfectly workable for Indy and Ranger. You need to play extremely passive and opportunistic.

Also keep in mind your head-on strafe is very strong against any fighters except against Indy/Ranger itself and your fighter wins on 1:1 guaranteed against any fighters of the same tier CV.

Use your friendly AA bubbles for your advantage and try to strafe enemy fighters when he is busy with dropping/doing other things and not paying attention.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,567 posts
5 hours ago, iceleader said:

The new patch 6:14?/latest one,  now provides only one default group of planes. My one fighter group can not protect my carrier as well as defend bombers or torpedo squadrons trying to attack another ship. Then it takes so long to get anther fighter group up and your carrier gets wiped out. I just don't like it. When I had two fighter groups I was able to survive the battle longer. Can't win crap anymore. One win every 7 or 8 times. You will never get invitied into a clan with those numbers.

Anyone have the same feelings as me.

The new setups are garbage for anyone who used to want play USN CVs for the air engagement aspect instead of just damage farming.   If I'm just interested in damaging enemy ships, there are plenty of non-carriers in my harbor I can do that with  -- the patch took away the one thing that made CVs interesting.

I played the new loadouts in PTS and based on that I've not played a single CV battle since the patch went live, and I will not be playing any until WG corrects course on this matter. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[_H2O_]
[_H2O_]
Members
144 posts
6,219 battles

Although I play the CVs from Tier 4-6, I seldom ever used the bomber load out and never used the fighter load out.  I have played the standard load out on all the ships with the exception of the old Bogue, (where I used the old bomber load out) and the Saipan (which I only sail from time to time).  I found the standard load out adequate for my needs.  I often clear the skies of many of the aircraft.  One strategy I use is to get the fighters out and hunt down bombers and torp planes.  Then I deal with the fighters as they try to defend the strike package.  About the only times that I do poorly is when the enemy CV is purposely hunting me down.  At that point, I keep the fighters close the the carrier for defense and maneuver.

Astrosaint

[CCO37]
Members
1 post
3,587 battles

I always preferred the air superiority builds - it's not about dealing damage to the enemy ships, its about stopping the enemy carriers from destroying allies. I was frequently able to top the list as an AS carrier through sheer volume of planes shot down, plus a little damage to enemy destroyers.

Without the air superiority carrier, USN carriers now have no meaning to me. I used to have fun baiting enemy planes with a dive bomber, trying to fool them into thinking i was stock or a strike build... i would arrange ambushes, placing my fighters between their bombers and their carrier... now i just have one stupid fighter squadron, and a pair of strike squadrons i don't want to deal with.

• Cool 1

Members
1 post
1,107 battles

I pretty much get reported for any random battle I show up in my Lexi.  I get called noob for not launching my fighters (because they didn't see for the few seconds they were alive) even though it's 1 squadron versus 3.  So I try to bait over AA spec'ed allies.  I rarely get matched with another Lexi, and sometimes, I have to go against the Enterprise.   I can't even.   Wargaming broke this US CVs even more and they're not even pretending to balance the IJN.   The only options are US P2W or IJN.    I would take 2 fighter squadrons of 3 instead 1 of 6... just anything.  Please, fix us!  This can't be accidental. 

Edited by LarpingBard

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,272 posts
6,888 battles

I enjoy seeing a Ranger in particular opposite me, it means my kaga will get another 150k damage match.

Members
11 posts
1,961 battles

It just feels not great anymore at lower tiers as well, like 5 and 6 low. There's no more options, you've got one choice of package and you'll have to figure out how to compete with it. Its a bit of a learning curve now, especially since Japan still has Air Superiority packages.