monpetitloup

The Greatest Play I Have Yet Seen

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

26 posts in this topic

I just saw the greatest play ever (yet)! I was, as is customary, bottom tier in a tier 9 ranked (aka match maker "doesn't have enough players") 7 on 7 cv battle. Everything is proceeding as normal, the top tier bb hangs back, cv's attempting to snipe each other. It was a pretty decent battle, going back and forth. The enemy team takes the lead killing our dd, I (in an Algie) manage to devastate a Taco who came round an island and follow it up by sinkng the Yug (thanks friendly cv for spotting him!). We're down by a couple hundred points, but the Neptune and I start to cap B and C. The cv burns down the KGV leaving only the USS Child, Miz and enemy CV and us still down by about 100pts. Great! we start chasing the cv (who only has a few hundred hp left) having all 4 caps in hand, low and behold right as our cv is torping him he does what? HE BOMBS HIMSELF! "Scuttles" his own ship!. This as it turns out denies us the points for his kill, thus preserving their lead. Our cv remained immobile behind a rock and their Miz bears down on him killing him and securing the cap. As the nep and I hunt the Child time expires and they win.

This is by far the greatest play I have yet seen. Ok,ok, people lone warrioring 19 ships etc, but it was the impact of the play on the outcome and the complete surprise with which it took all of us. Imean who knew that killing yourself denied the points to the other side right?

Your thoughts, feel free to share your experiences!

Edited by monpetitloup

Self-inflicted immolation ought not be permitted... after all, can a BB shoot itself? Maybe some how, some way a dd or cruiser could torp itself, but I've not seen it done. I'd say the commander of the carrier was a quick thinker - never seen this before, myself. So - as long as it is permitted by the game, it's a viable strategy. 

I'd love to watch that replay...that is trick as___(you know...that #1 word you can't say on television...even though it's #3 on Carlin's list).

Although I'm not a fan of scuttling/suicide, it did secure them the win. 

Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

I (in an Algie) manage to devastate a Taco who came round an island and follow it up by sinkng the Yug (thanks friendly cv for spotting him!).

What is a "Taco"?  I've heard the Furutaka being called a "Taco" (Furry Taco), but that obviously can't be the case in your T7-9 story.  Atago, perhaps?

Also, you mention being bottom tier in a Tier 7 is "customary", yet in my experience Tier 7 is the promised land when it comes to MM.  Since I have kept track over the past couple of weeks, in Tier 7 I am only bottom tier 13% of the time.  YMMV.

In this case i use taco for Takao, the arp atago. I say "customary" because my luck of the non Irish means i'm always bottom tier regardless which tier i pick, 6, 7, 8

Slick move, that, and secures the win.

Now if I were to take up CV's I'd probably do that on accident...

I'd love to watch that replay...that is trick as___(you know...that #1 word you can't say on television...even though it's #3 on Carlin's list)

wth...my power went off & when I logged back in the 1st time I posted this wasn't there...that's why I posted it again...sorry for the repetition...if there was a delete option I'd just delete this 1.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

This is the second time I have heard of scuttling a ship on the forums.  In the case of the CV he committed Suicide to now their team lead points, in the other case a destroyer scuttled a BB to preserve points.  This is strategic in the fact it kept you from valuable points.  And in real life it has been done to keep an enemy from getting intel.  So while I am not one (as a CV player) to generally do that.  It is not a bad strategy.  If the game allows it who am I to complain.  The OP apparently admires the fact that it took a sharp mind to realize the situation. 

Edited by gcangel82

52 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Hope you reported him, that kinda behavior is awful.

Actually the only objection I have is (as Herr Reitz stated)

2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

after all, can a BB shoot itself? Maybe some how, some way a dd or cruiser could torp itself, but I've not seen it done

the fact that no other type of ship in game has the option...& even though it was before my time the Kitakame was the only DD that could (& as rumor has it occasionally did) sink itself w/torps if turning sharply at full throttle.

24 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

So the team doesn't lose points... hmm

No the team loses points, but the opposing team trying to sink the same ship, does not gain points.

Edited by gcangel82

Yes.  I saw the thread where the DD scuttled his own low health BB to preserve a win.  This was done by the CV pilot himself, so it has even less implications of team killing.   It denies kill points for the opposing team, which can be the difference in a close game, especially if the end is near for that ship anyway.  I think it is a brilliant move to secure a win.

3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Self-inflicted immolation ought not be permitted... after all, can a BB shoot itself? Maybe some how, some way a dd or cruiser could torp itself, but I've not seen it done. I'd say the commander of the carrier was a quick thinker - never seen this before, myself. So - as long as it is permitted by the game, it's a viable strategy. 

It isn't, I would send the replay to support.

@BrushWolf if it isn't allowed then it seems "logical" that they need to modify carrier planes so they cannot TK their own ship. Or any other ship. And once you do that - you'll have to do it for every ship... which means no more TK... which to-date, WoWS/WG will not change in random battles. 

Or do you believe they could institute it without much of an uproar from the other types? 

2 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Hope you reported him, that kinda behavior is awful.

27 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It isn't, I would send the replay to support.

Someone reported me for doing it in the past and Support ruled it as a legit tactic at the time and I was not given a penalty. I did it for the exact reasons the OP listed and I did it before the manual removal from tier 4/5. I was in a Zuiho, we had 45 seconds to go, 2nd to last ship, we had a 20 point lead. I had 2 DD's rushing me and I knew I couldn't get them both so I double dropped my torp bombers on myself and secured our win.

It's a legit tactic that few CV's know about as you cannot be penalized for self-inflicted damage.

4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

@BrushWolf if it isn't allowed then it seems "logical" that they need to modify carrier planes so they cannot TK their own ship. Or any other ship. And once you do that - you'll have to do it for every ship... which means no more TK... which to-date, WoWS/WG will not change in random battles. 

Or do you believe they could institute it without much of an uproar from the other types? 

3 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

Someone reported me for doing it in the past and Support ruled it as a legit tactic at the time and I was not given a penalty. I did it for the exact reasons the OP listed and I did it before the manual removal from tier 4/5. I was in a Zuiho, we had 45 seconds to go, 2nd to last ship, we had a 20 point lead. I had 2 DD's rushing me and I knew I couldn't get them both so I double dropped my torp bombers on myself and secured our win.

It's a legit tactic that few CV's know about as you cannot be penalized for self-inflicted damage.

All too often support doesn't know what they are talking about. If a team mate had TK'd you for the same reason instead they would probably get a vacation if not an outright ban depending on their history. It is somewhere in the ToS but it comes down to griefing.

3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

All too often support doesn't know what they are talking about. If a team mate had TK'd you for the same reason instead they would probably get a vacation if not an outright ban depending on their history. It is somewhere in the ToS but it comes down to griefing.

No, you mean these two articles which Support said did not apply as it was self inflicted

4.01. Intentionally damaging vehicles belonging to a player on the same team (team damage).

4.02. Intentionally destroying vehicles belonging to a player on the same team (team kill).

They highlighted that the mechanics for punishment and response is for another player so causing it to one self is not grounds for punishment. If you want that changed, I suggest you request WG to remove CV's to damage one self as that's the only way.

Just now, Azumazi said:

No, you mean these two articles which Support said did not apply as it was self inflicted

4.01. Intentionally damaging vehicles belonging to a player on the same team (team damage).

4.02. Intentionally destroying vehicles belonging to a player on the same team (team kill).

They highlighted that the mechanics for punishment and response is for another player so causing it to one self is not grounds for punishment. If you want that changed, I suggest you request WG to remove CV's to damage one self as that's the only way.

Yeah, and I say that they do not understand their own rules, you TK'd yourself plain and simple and the same rules should apply to self TK'ing as they do to someone else TK'ing you.

I don’t understand the complaints. The red CV had a keen understanding of game mechanics and used that to win. 

I only wish half the players on my teams paid as much attention to points and objectives. 

I never knew of this mechanic until now.

Smart of the player to take advantage of it.. But this should be fixed, pretty [edited] mechanic. 

I would have sent a +1 karma to the sneaky bastard.

Good thinking outside the box.   Abuse of game mechanics?  Absolutely.    But kudos to the player with enough wherewithal to realize the situation, and sabotage the enemy's win.