You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

Yubari/Texas - Is there a carrier filter for matches?

35 comments in this topic

Tpaktop2_1    298

I have notice of the past three updates that my cruiser Yubari and my battleship Texas are almost never put in a carrier match. And yet if I play any other tier 4 or 5 ship, a carrier is in the match. Wearing my tinfoil hat, is there a filter screen for these two ships from carrier battle matches? Is anyone else seeing the same results? I got to record my stats with these ships. This seems so strange to me.

SkaerKrow    566

You want to see Carriers in your Yubari? You have more faith in that consumable than I do!

WanderingGhost    460

Not that I know of, then again, I pull my 10 AA commander from Cleveland to help train a new one with the line split coming and suddenly CV's are in my Cleveland matches.

_RC1138    525

Confirmation bias at best. That said, I feel it too sometimes. Every time I spawn as a Myoko: CV. Every time I spawn as a Baltimore: No CV. At least that's what it feels like. More than anything it's because when you DO spawn as a high AA power ship, even if CV's are present, they will largely avoid and ignore you.

Doomlock    2,158

There is no filter. It's just a case of bad luck not getting them.

killsbane67    19
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

There is no filter. It's just a case of bad luck not getting them.

No it's definitely how matchmaker is programed. Pulled the AA spec off my Missouri and the carrier are back more times than not. 

BrushWolf    1,331
2 minutes ago, killsbane67 said:

No it's definitely how matchmaker is programed. Pulled the AA spec off my Missouri and the carrier are back more times than not. 

That is called confirmation bias, you see what you expect to see. Everyone's old friend Murphy and his law apply to the MM too.

• Cool 2

AspiringCodger    336
5 minutes ago, killsbane67 said:

No it's wG playing games with AA spec ship.

You'd better watch out.  They'll start playing games with your RNG too for calling them out on this :Smile_facepalm:

AVR_Project    709
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is called confirmation bias, you see what you expect to see. Everyone's old friend Murphy and his law apply to the MM too.

CONFORMATION bias.  Where one collects only the statistical data that CONFORMS to the premise.  It's not just you - it's happening all over this forum.

You'd guys would get knocked down a grade on a term paper for that.  Be careful.

Doomlock    2,158
19 minutes ago, killsbane67 said:

Nope. There is no programming in the MM to do this. It simply takes from the pool of people available, there has to be carriers queued up for you to get carriers. No carriers in queue? No carriers in battle. 

• Cool 1

CLUCH_CARGO    337

Perception is the deception. MM can't read your mind it reads raw data of tier and class . MM applies the rules set by WG.The modules a player choose is random, as well as captain skills. I really in all honesty don't believe WG has it out for you players who want a CV in your battle or CV players that don't want AA spect ships in theirs. Murphy has entered the room. Best Answer here.

ReddNekk    368
48 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

You want to see Carriers in your Yubari? You have more faith in that consumable than I do!

I'd rather have Hyrdo on Yubari instead of Def AA. She'd be a excellent DD killer if she had Hydro, though I did swat 9 flies in a battle with Yubari.

On the subject; Whenever I log on with a ship that has great AA I rarely, if ever, see a CV. If I'm driving a ship with poor AA, there's ALWAYS a CV, often 2 per team at lower tiers. This happens too much to be coincidence.

• Cool 1

Palladia    217
25 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

CONFORMATION bias.  Where one collects only the statistical data that CONFORMS to the premise.  It's not just you - it's happening all over this forum.

You'd guys would get knocked down a grade on a term paper for that.  Be careful.

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.

Whose getting knocked down a grade again?

Panzerlin    77

RNG with MM, magical.  But you only seem to really notice a lack of CV's when you go out hoping for them.  IE, every single time I take my Baltimore out for a spin.

SireneRacker    1,434
44 minutes ago, killsbane67 said:

No it's wG playing games with AA spec ship.

What is WG supposed to do when there are no CVs in the queue? Place bots? :Smile_teethhappy:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Texas and Yubari should see carriers in their battles and have no matchmaker restrictions. However, as Doomlock said, matchmaker can only place a player in a battle based on the ships and tiers in queue. If there are not any carriers waiting to be assigned into a battle, then unfortunately it will be a CV-less battle.If you still believe this might be a bug, then we would recommend reporting it by submitting a support ticket. Thanks!

• Cool 1

IronWolfV    6,626

These days kinda hit or miss. Though there has been a big upswing in carriers coming out. Might be time to bring out Atlanta and make Carrier players cry.

AVR_Project    709
1 hour ago, Palladia said:

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.

Whose getting knocked down a grade again?

http://www.rcgates.com/psyc/conformation_bias.html

AVR_Project    709

I'm on the last Vampire 'Damage' mission.  Looks like I can grind the Lexington in Co-Op to do the job.  It averages the best per PVE mission of all my grinders.

I'll bet I'll be looking at a carrier battle every time, though.

Sotaudi    448
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Which says:

In psychology, there is a concept known as conformation bias. This concept says that in because we like to be right, humans will instinctually seek out information to confirm what they believe to be true, even if the evidence may be flawed.

Conformation bias confirms one's preconceptions by looking for examples that are in line with our own viewpoint, but ignoring any information that might disprove it.

Conformation bias - a tendency to search for information that confirms ones pre conceptions - major obstacle to problem solving-search for information that confirms our ideas.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/confirmation-bias?s=t

Which says:

the tendency to process and analyze information in such a way that it supports one’s preexisting ideas and convictions

• Processing and analyzing information in such a way that it supports one's preexisting ideas and convictions
  • Confirms ones preconceptions by looking for examples that are inline with our own view point, but ignoring any information that might disprove it.

These are, in fact, just to different words for the same principle, either of which perfectly describe what is going on.

CV play is sporadic.  That means you get into some matches with CVs and some matches without them no matter whether your ship has good AA or not.   However, you will be more likely to take notice of games where you are in a ship with good AA and there is no CV or a game where you are in a ship with no AA but CVs present because of the frustration that comes with it.  This can and does lead people to falsely conclude there is some difference based on the ship they are in, and when a game conforms to that preconceived notion, it will confirm that premise.  When a game does not conform, their bias will cause them to ignore the information that might disprove it, only accepting an analysis that supports the conviction they already have.  This, in turn, again confirms the preexisting idea.

This is text book conformational bias/confirmation bias.