db4100

Damn Cheat Mods..."X on the mini-map" Mod

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

137 posts in this topic

My DDs have been getting nailed hard while "hidden" in smoke recently.  NOT SPOTTED AND ACCURATELY SHOT AT, AND THE SHOOTER WAS usually 10KM AWAY.  Then I remembered this post a few months back https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/139244-lets-talk-about-mods/ .  Ten pages about the mod where the X on the mini-map is used to help you aim in on ship that just hid in smoke...all they have to do is put the X on your ship's last known position silhouette .....coming to a halt in smoke it wouldn't be that hard to line up the X over where you should be.  HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS ALLOWED?  THIS IS A CHEAT...PURE AND SIMPLE.  It is hard enough being a destroyer in this game without this little cheat to help blow you out of the water while undetected in smoke.  Why even have smoke for destroyers?  It is near useless at higher tiers because of radar, and sonar.  What I have been experiencing is getting nuked in smoke at tier 5 and 6.  In the past couple of days it has happened about six times....accurate fire while undetected in smoke.  I have never seen this happen so often.  At first I thought "he got a lucky shot on me", but this has happened way too often by different players.  Lucky shot my [edited], players are using this mod/hack that lets you put a X over your last know position.   Until this hack is removed, I am done playing destroyers or anything else that relies on smoke.  This is just bull crap.  

WG, how about a refund for all of the destroyers and smoke using cruisers that I bought, since you let them be "hacked" to death.

Edited by db4100

If you use it, I won't fear you. I am afraid of radar though.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

I wondered what that was for. Must have come with the crosshair? Seems to line up with the center dot on the screen.

It does sound like [edited] to me. Call in the moderators and get an official discussion with them to get it banned.

I'm failing to see how this is any different than the last spotted location on the minimap that's already part of the game client.  I mean, seriously, so there's a red X on the minimap.  It's no different from a ship shaped icon on the minimap indicating the last known location.  You line up your minimap aim line with the last known location, but you're just guessing about how far along the aim line to actually aim.  

I fail to see the problem here.  It sounds to me like the OP's getting hit in smoke by people who actually know HOW to aim at tracers.

13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm failing to see how this is any different than the last spotted location on the minimap that's already part of the game client.  I mean, seriously, so there's a red X on the minimap.  It's no different from a ship shaped icon on the minimap indicating the last known location.  You line up your minimap aim line with the last known location, but you're just guessing about how far along the aim line to actually aim.  

I fail to see the problem here.  It sounds to me like the OP's getting hit in smoke by people who actually know HOW to aim at tracers.

No. It shows where your guns are aiming on the minimap so all you have to do is place the X on the last known location icon and fire. Boom. Hits on unspotted target in its smoke. It also works for insuring hits on targets over islands...etc

This is not a cheat.

An aimbot tells you where to aim.

The X-mark tells you where you are aiming.

The former is doing calcs to assist.

The latter is simply marking on the minimap where your aiming reticle is at.

This isn't rocket science.

1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

This is not a cheat.

An aimbot tells you where to aim.

The X-mark tells you where you are aiming.

The former is doing calcs to assist.

The latter is simply marking on the minimap where your aiming reticle is at.

This isn't rocket science.

Yes it is a cheat. It doesnt matter if there is an aimbot telling you where to aim or not. There is no need for a feature on the minimap to show you exactly where your guns are aiming. It is taking advantage of minimap and game mechanics. You may not agree but it is still poor ethics in gaming.

Just now, smf117 said:

Yes it is a cheat. It doesnt matter if there is an aimbot telling you where to aim or not. There is no need for a feature on the minimap to show you exactly where your guns are aiming. It is taking advantage of minimap and game mechanics. You may not agree but it is still poor ethics in gaming.

So, we need to take the reticle out too, then? It's just the same information presented differently.

@Trevzor what do you think of a player using a 3rd party mod which places an X on the aim location of their guns on the map to take advantage of an in game mechanic (last known location on the minimap) to shoot unspotted ships in smoke or gain more accuracy on ships sitting behind islands? 

Yes. Definitely check out this vid. Straight up [edited] if you ask me. 

Edited by smf117

2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

So, we need to take the reticle out too, then? It's just the same information presented differently.

No, Laalaa, I see now where the cheat is in this video.  I didn't see the little white "X" on the minimap before.  It shows where your guns are aiming, and all you have to do is place it over the last known position of your target.  of course, this assumes that the enemy ship hasn't moved since it was last spotted.  Regardless, this does seem to me like a cheat and should br brought to the attention of  WG.

2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

There is no talking to you...I run vanilla. I dont get an X anywhere on the minimap so its not the "same" information. It is extra information which provides an advantage to other players. Say what you want but youre wrong and like I said...done talking to you.

all this mod does  is display on the mini map something a good ship captian should already know, where his shells are aimed,  its just like the part of the mini map that lets you know what direction your ship is going, how fast your ship is going,  etc...... it is only displaying  what the ship is doing, or information about your ship such as  ship range, aircraft spoting range, main gun range circle ......etc   

its a visual representation of what you ship is doing.........so , is it now concidered a cheet to know your ships stats and have them displayed,  should we now remove all info about the ship from the mini map

you already know where the guns are aimed, its the targeting reticle.... are you implying that it is a cheet

the op says that he is in smoke ,  not spotted  and then boom,   that to me describes more his faulty game play, and lack of understanding the diffrence between cover and concielment   ,   and someone who has worked at the skill of being able to see the gunfire in the smoke, and put his shells on target.

that is , if your too stupid to move after you shoot, you get the reward for being stupid

and what if i launch torps into a cloud of smoke.... according to the op , this is a cheet too cause , you know , you cant see me........... and then boom, 

this is just another example of a sub par player looking  for a reason to explain his subpar  ness,  grasping at the reasons  i dont suck at this game  straws  

2 minutes ago, smf117 said:

@Trevzor what do you think of a player using a 3rd party mod which places an X on the aim location of their guns on the map to take advantage of an in game mechanic (last known location on the minimap) to shoot unspotted ships in smoke or gain more accuracy on ships sitting behind islands? 

smf, rather than tying this to the player, I think that it's more important to get this mod  banned.  If the mod is part of an otherwise honest mudpack, it may be that the modpacker may not even realize that the mod is a cheat.  And furthermore, people do tend to rely on modpackers like Aslain to include only honest mods.  So if players use this mod from an otherwise honest modpacker, I find it hard to blame the player.  And I am a bit willing to be forgiving of historically good modpackers as well, as long as they remove the mod from their modpacks ... which I'm rather sure they would if WG deemed the offending mod illegal.

8 minutes ago, a_trout_bum_2 said:

all this mod does  is display on the mini map something a good ship captian should already know, where his shells are aimed,  its just like the part of the mini map that lets you know what direction your ship is going, how fast your ship is going,  etc...... it is only displaying  what the ship is doing, or information about your ship such as  ship range, aircraft spoting range, main gun range circle ......etc   

its a visual representation of what you ship is doing.........so , is it now concidered a cheet to know your ships stats and have them displayed,  should we now remove all info about the ship from the mini map

you already know where the guns are aimed, its the targeting reticle.... are you implying that it is a cheet

the op says that he is in smoke ,  not spotted  and then boom,   that to me describes more his faulty game play, and lack of understanding the diffrence between cover and concielment   ,   and someone who has worked at the skill of being able to see the gunfire in the smoke, and put his shells on target.

that is , if your too stupid to move after you shoot, you get the reward for being stupid

and what if i launch torps into a cloud of smoke.... according to the op , this is a cheet too cause , you know , you cant see me........... and then boom, 

this is just another example of a sub par player looking  for a reason to explain his subpar  ness,  grasping at the reasons  i dont suck at this game  straws  

It doesnt matter how good or bad a player is...it is impossible to accurately judge distances at long range in this game to provide the consistent hits and citadels that this mod insures.

And from what I can see...it doesnt seem like you would know what a "good" ship captain would do...sorry.

Edited by smf117

Reticle needs to go: It shows the close approximation of where your shells will fall.

Zoom needs to go. It allows more precision in putting shells where you want them.

^ Both of these greatly increase the chance that a distant target will be hit, and is thus unfair to that target, particularly if he doesn't choose to use his reticle and zoom to play the game.

4 minutes ago, smf117 said:

There is no talking to you...I run vanilla. I dont get an X anywhere on the minimap so its not the "same" information. It is extra information which provides an advantage to other players. Say what you want but youre wrong and like I said...done talking to you.

I'm currently running the official WoWS mudpack.  If WG can't put out a modpack full of nothing but legal mods, who could?

3 minutes ago, a_trout_bum_2 said:

all this mod does  is display on the mini map something a good ship captain should already know, where his shells are aimed,  its just like the part of the mini map that lets you know what direction your ship is going, how fast your ship is going,  etc...... it is only displaying  what the ship is doing, or information about your ship such as  ship range, aircraft spotting range, main gun range circle ......etc   

its a visual representation of what you ship is doing.........so , is it now considered a cheat to know your ships stats and have them displayed,  should we now remove all info about the ship from the mini map

you already know where the guns are aimed, its the targeting reticle.... are you implying that it is a cheat

the op says that he is in smoke ,  not spotted  and then boom,   that to me describes more his faulty game play, and lack of understanding the difference between cover and concealment   ,   and someone who has worked at the skill of being able to see the gunfire in the smoke, and put his shells on target.

and what if i launch torps into a cloud of smoke.... according to the op , this is a cheat too cause , you know , you cant see me........... and then boom, 

this is just another example of a sub par player looking  for a reason to explain his subpar  ness,  grasping at the reasons  i don't suck at this game  straws  

It's not that simple, Trout.  You can  say that you know where your shells are aimed, but IMO, no one is that good that they KNOW with 100% accuracy where they're aimed, unless you just happen to see the enemy ship disappear and hold your aim point on that exact spot.  If you didn't have this and you tried to aim your guns at a very specific spot on the minimap may kilometers distant, I seriously doubt that even the best unicum could guarantee that their aim was 100% perfect.   Therefore, IMO, this mod is a cheat.

Furthermore, trying to compare this to spamming torps into smoke is a joke.  Torp spamming blindly into smoke is pretty much like firing a shotgun into smoke rather than firing a rifle.  It's hardly a shock for the shotgun to hit something, but it's hardly all that precisely aimed.  You're just aiming in the general direction, and then it's spray and pray.

this mod dosnt insure anything, all it dispalys is where your shells will land

it dosnt say   hey aim here  , it dosnt say  the enemy ship will be here when your shells land

Reticle needs to go: It shows the close approximation of where your shells will fall.

Zoom needs to go. It allows more precision in putting shells where you want them.

^ Both of these greatly increase the chance that a distant target will be hit, and is thus unfair to that target, particularly if he doesn't choose to use his reticle and zoom to play the game.

For god sakes, stop being stupid.  This mod is clearly a cheat.  Even I changed my mind when I noticed exactly what it was doing.

1 minute ago, a_trout_bum_2 said:

this mod dosnt insure anything, all it dispalys is where your shells will land

it dosnt say   hey aim here  , it dosnt say  the enemy ship will be here when your shells land

And that by itself is a cheat.  Yes, there's no guarantee of a hit.  What you ARE guaranteeing is that you're aiming at an exact point on the minimap which you would not be able to do with any degree of accuracy or certainty with the mark 1 eyeball.

Just now, Crucis said:

For god sakes, stop being stupid.  This mod is clearly a cheat.  Even I changed my mind when I noticed exactly what it was doing.

That you went from being right to wrong doesn't make ME stupid. ;)

That you went from being right to wrong doesn't make ME stupid. ;)

Oh, you are being stupid.  This is CLEARLY a cheat.  And all you're doing is defending a cheat mod, which doesn't say much about you.

2 minutes ago, a_trout_bum_2 said:

ffs does anyone else feel sorry for this guy???

The circles on the minimap showing gun ranges are cheats: The "mark 1 eyeball" can't accurately see the range-edge of gunfire.

This list could go on.

The point is, some don't use last reported position, names over ships, gun range circles, etc. It's info that's available (not cheats, i.e. things you have no way of knowing), just not used by all players.

I believe WG has given this particular bit of information a pass (I'm searching forums for that item).