Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

Leander is so refreshing

23 comments in this topic

warpath_33    52

Leander is just so amazingly good after the *expletive deleted* that was the Emerald...

shot-17_12_04_18_04.47-0192.thumb.jpg.502a9ae638cfd0e075a7f5981ec18d27.jpg

WoWs replays controls are basically broken for me so I'm too lazy to wait through 20 minutes to check the final point score

I think this might be the closest game I've ever had. I think the points score was somewhere in the region of 972-961 or something when the game finished and red had B and was capping C. 

AdmiralThunder    198

Yup Leander is very good although Emerald wasn't as bad as so many make it. It just suffers badly from +2 MM like so many other ships. Although my average stats in Leander are much better than Emerald if I put best games against each other, Emerald has a better high score for me than I have in Leander. :Smile_amazed:

As good as Leander is wait until you get to Fiji. My man that is where BRN CL's get real good.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Silver_kun    85

It's nice that you are enjoying the Leander! Edinburgh is also a nice ship I believe and Minotaurs reload and traverse is amazing. 

warpath_33    52

I guess I had one good game in Emerald...

I dev striked a Danae with four citadels :Smile_teethhappy:

Among other things...

Edited by warpath_33

desmo_2    742

I'm part of the Leander fan club, too.  I was beginning to wonder if all the RN cruisers were turds until I hopped onto the bridge of this ship.  I had a lot of fun with her.  I decided to keep her even before I earned a permanent camo for her from a mission (don't remember which one...a T6 from each nation got a perm camo from that mission, and Leander was it for the RN).

AdmiralThunder is right...Fiji is even more amazing, and I hear great things for the rest of the line, also.

warpath_33    52

From what I've heard, the British CLs are just suffer through the first three, enjoy the ride for the rest, right?

Herr_Reitz    1,276

From like tier 3 up the entire RN line is enjoyable. The line most undervalued - imho - is the French Cruiser line. They're like speedboats... great fun! 

Good job on the match. May many more come your way

1 hour ago, warpath_33 said:

Leander is just so amazingly good after the *expletive deleted* that was the Emerald...

I must respectfully disagree. Emerald is a perfectly fine destroyer leader with enough torpedoes to kill anything. The guns I use as an afterthought/finisher.

Good job on the game though.

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yup Leander is very good although Emerald wasn't as bad as so many make it.

1 hour ago, Silver_kun said:

It's nice that you are enjoying the Leander! Edinburgh is also a nice ship...

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

I'm part of the Leander fan club, too.  I was beginning to wonder if all the RN cruisers were turds

18 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

From like tier 3 up the entire RN line is enjoyable.

Obviously I am the exception to the rule. I utterly, and completely, DESPISED Leander. Worthless torps and guns I could never produce damage with the way everyone else seems to do with ease. As far as I was concerned, it's only redeeming value is it had to be hit by TWO splats of seagull poop before exploding, unlike Russian cruisers, which only take one.

I won't dispute the RN cruisers can do well, but I seem so completely incapable of making them work they are effectively garbage and worthless to me. Recently bit my tongue and pushed up to Tier 8 as a part of some information gathering I was doing. Since for all intents and purposes I did no better in Fiji and Eddy than Leander, I finally just threw up my hands and sold all three of them.

Emerald; at least with Emerald I know I can kill things with the torpedoes.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

warpath_33    52
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Emerald; at least with Emerald I know I can kill things with the torpedoes.

Honestly if Emerald had slightly shorter detection when firing in smoke I might have liked it more.

Currently if I could have fired torpedoes and guns in smoke it wouldn't be so bad. Right now you're either so close that you can't fire without revealing yourself or you're too far to make use of your best weapon.

Is there any reason Emerald needs to have an extra 800m of detection firing in smoke over Leander?

1 minute ago, warpath_33 said:

Is there any reason Emerald needs to have an extra 800m of detection firing in smoke over Leander?

Who knows; I don't think I've played Emerald since the smoke changes.

Unless by Hell freezing over I actually managed to smoke up and still have someone spotting for me, (the number of times I've done so and had the player spotting for me die or go behind a rock would boggle your mind,) my smoke is usually used like it would be for a destroyer, to disenguage after a torpedo attack.

AdmiralThunder    198
48 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Honestly if Emerald had slightly shorter detection when firing in smoke I might have liked it more.

Currently if I could have fired torpedoes and guns in smoke it wouldn't be so bad. Right now you're either so close that you can't fire without revealing yourself or you're too far to make use of your best weapon.

Well Emerald does have a longer firing range of the main guns at 13.6 vs 13.2 for Leander. Isn't part of the whole smoke detection range what your main gun range is?

HazeGrayUnderway    2,483

Leander's a good CL, the light at the end of the tunnel called Danae and Emerald.  Personally?  I absolutely loved Emerald I get nothing but great results shooting them.

Sometimes I felt bad for shooting at those poor b@stards, until I realized I need to get Damage, Kills, and XPs, and you can get lots of all 3 from blasting Emerald instantaneously.  Then it's, "Sorry, bruh, but daddy needs some XPs."

[Delete Emerald]

AdmiralThunder    198
On 12/4/2017 at 7:05 PM, warpath_33 said:

From what I've heard, the British CLs are just suffer through the first three, enjoy the ride for the rest, right?

For me T3 Caledon was really good. I kept it a long time and did really well in it. T4 Danae SUCKED!!!! Hated thst thing. T5 Emerald is very fragile but if played to its strengths can do ok. T6 Leander is really good and where most say the line gets good. T7 Fiji is a monster and is probably the best T7 Cruiser in game. T8 Edinburgh is a bigger Fiji. I have not done as well in it as I do Fiji but it is ok. That is as far as I have got. Want Minotaur!!! LOL

warpath_33    52
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

For me T3 Caledon was really good. I kept it a long time and did really well in it. T4 Danae SUCKED!!!! Hated thst thing. T5 Emerald is very fragile but if played to its strengths can do ok. T6 Leander is really good and where most say the line gets good. T7 Fiji is a monster and is probably the best T7 Cruiser in game. T8 Edinburgh is a bigger Fiji. I have not done as well in it as I do Fiji but it is ok. That is as far as I have got. Want Minotaur!!! LOL

I don't remember what my Caledon and Danae days were like. But, it's not Emerald's get-citadelled-by-destroyer-HE fragility that killed it for me, it was the short range torps and nonexistent gun penetration.

_greifer    16

Leander is awesome and the rest get better.

One lesson to learn from the emerald is position. Once you get that right with the RNCLs they will be your best friends. Fiji is still the most OP vessel in the game. 

AdmiralThunder    198
4 hours ago, warpath_33 said:

I don't remember what my Caledon and Danae days were like. But, it's not Emerald's get-citadelled-by-destroyer-HE fragility that killed it for me, it was the short range torps and nonexistent gun penetration.

Emerald's gun were ok damage wise (3000 damage for it's AP) but the layout wasn't very good and you couldn't get enough of them on target without showing your side to do any good. If you tried you would go BOOM! LOL

The torps though were actually pretty good. 6km torps for a T5 is not bad. You also could launch 6 p/ side. I found the torps to be it's best weapon. They had good damage too at 15733 once upgraded.

warpath_33    52
58 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Emerald's gun were ok damage wise (3000 damage for it's AP) but the layout wasn't very good and you couldn't get enough of them on target without showing your side to do any good. If you tried you would go BOOM! LOL

When the guns could actually penetrate they're not bad, but there's not a whole lot it can penetrate. (741 damage salvos were all too common even when firing on broadside targets) 

Yeah, the Emerald has horrible gun arcs. You could get the first five on target without too much broadside but you had to basically go full broadside from there to fire the aft gun

Things I liked about Emerald:

Decent AA (short range at least)

Torpedo ambushes work well if your lucky enough to actually get close without getting spotted 

Looks pretty cool

Launching torpedoes at ships that charge my smoke screen

Feels very responsive and agile

The things I learned towards the end of my grind in Emerald are probably helping a lot in Leander right now. Don't fire if you'll be spotted is how my best games seem to happen.

As a random question: Should I go full broadside at close range to battleships firing AP in Emerald and go for overpens? It worked pretty well against a Konig right before I finished up the grind and sold the thing. Of course, when you're the only ship within 15 km of a Konig that dodged all your torps things aren't going to end well :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by warpath_33

Taylor3006    689

Fiji is better than Leander and Leander is better than Emerald. IMHO they are all fun ships and enjoy them. If they sell the St Patrick's Day camo next year for Emerald, will go ahead and put that ship back in my port. She gets a bad rap because she is so fragile but played carefully, she can smack down other cruisers and destroyers. Never had much luck vs BBs though, never seemed like angling mattered. About the best I could manage against them was torps then ramming.... Not a great strategy but it worked well enough to elite the ship.

AdmiralThunder    198
10 hours ago, warpath_33 said:

When the guns could actually penetrate they're not bad, but there's not a whole lot it can penetrate. (741 damage salvos were all too common even when firing on broadside targets) 

Yeah, the Emerald has horrible gun arcs. You could get the first five on target without too much broadside but you had to basically go full broadside from there to fire the aft gun

Things I liked about Emerald:

Decent AA (short range at least)

Torpedo ambushes work well if your lucky enough to actually get close without getting spotted 

Looks pretty cool

Launching torpedoes at ships that charge my smoke screen

Feels very responsive and agile

The things I learned towards the end of my grind in Emerald are probably helping a lot in Leander right now. Don't fire if you'll be spotted is how my best games seem to happen.

As a random question: Should I go full broadside at close range to battleships firing AP in Emerald and go for overpens? It worked pretty well against a Konig right before I finished up the grind and sold the thing. Of course, when you're the only ship within 15 km of a Konig that dodged all your torps things aren't going to end wel:Smile-_tongue:

Ummm...NO. :Smile_glasses:

I wouldn't. It sounds like you got lucky against the Konig. Full broadside Emerald at any range is a 1 salvo sandwich if the aim is right.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

On 06/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Black Swan is awesome when I want to relax at tier 1 for a game or two (yes, I know, it's the ultimate form of sealclubbing). Weymouth I suffered through and never want to play again - all the disadvantages of the line without the benefits (heal, torps). Caledon was mixed feelings, but I went back into her recently for a game or two solely to get just enough XP to jump to the battleship line, found I already had enough (!!), bought the Bellerophon and thought just for old time's sake I'd take her out. Beautiful. If I win doubloons in a crate, I will probably blow them on port slots to have her back for fun.

Danae I love, probably a little more than the Emerald, because she only gets uptiered against T5 opposition and she isn't as horribly overmatched as the Emerald is when she faces T7. The Danae has a permanent place in my port.

The Emerald I have just discovered how to make work properly, because I've been swapping back and forth as needed between her and the Danae for the Vampire missions (fight hard till I die, swap to the other ship, first one is usually back in port by then). I think I've finally got the camp in smoke and shoot battleships till they notice, then scoot, thing to the point where it's enjoyable because I've had a lot of opportunity to practice my shooting and I can reliably get multi-shell salvoes on target. A few times now when placement and terrain were on my side, I've deliberately charged pairs of battleships in co-op - usually when at least one was distracted - and managed to torpedo both to destruction in exchange for myself (I wouldn't get away with this in Random and I know it). Feels good.

Last night I found I had finally earned enough XP to unlock the Leander. I only got two games in her before it was time to pack up and go to bed, and the first of those was a disconnect, getting back in just in time to see my burning ship roll over. The second was a YOLO charge into the jaws of death, but again it was late and I just wanted a short game that involved me actually being at the helm of my ship when it was all over (sank a Graf Spee in the process; can't complain).

For now it's back to the Danae and Emerald until the Vampire missions are over; I would rather grind out the damage quota in ships I'm familiar with and whose captains are reasonably up to spec, and I don't have enough playing time on my hands to bring my Emerald captain up to speed in the Leander AND get used to her before the Vampire window of opportunity closes.

Leander is a very different ship in all sorts of ways, and I want to play her in a few co-op matches at a relaxed pace and think very carefully about the differences and how I should be using her. Fewer torps (same number as Caledon each side), but longer range; not that many more guns, but twice as many firing directly forward or aft and all of them available on one target... it's a different world. I suspect I will be holding on to my Emerald, even if I don't play her all that much in future, because I've started to get a soft spot for her.

I actually got a supercontainer a while ago with more than enough XP to speed past the Emerald, but I decided to do it the slow way and now I'm glad I did. The last three or four days have been a lot of fun.

Sign in to follow this