You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GreyFox78659

Abruzzi is out this month

41 comments in this topic

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
  • “He marched them up to the top of the hill, then marched them down again!” 

Luigi Amedeo Duca D’Abruzzi was a mountain climber. Who tried to summit K2

Edited by GreyFox78659
  • Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,043 battles

If you're going on the clue  “He marched them up to the top of the hill, then marched them down again!” 

Then Duke of York is far more likely in my opinion. There's an old ditty that goes:

Oh, The grand old Duke of York,
He had ten thousand men;
He marched them up to the top of the hill,
And he marched them down again.

Now when you're up, you're up,
And when you're down, you're down,
And when you're only half-way up,
You're neither up nor down.

The 'without anime girl' should be Graf Spee, the pile of secrets should be Vampire, the Flottentorpedoboot is T-61 and I don't know if it's a ship for 'aft-vent' or a chain of daily missions.

• Cool 4

[HDR]
Members
1,262 posts
3,230 battles
2 minutes ago, mofton said:

If you're going on the clue  “He marched them up to the top of the hill, then marched them down again!” 

Then Duke of York is far more likely in my opinion. There's an old ditty that goes:

He had ten thousand men;

The 'without anime girl' should be Graf Spee, the pile of secrets should be Vampire, the Flottentorpedoboot is T-61 and I don't know if it's a ship for 'aft-vent' or a chain of daily missions.

Oh I see.

Well I think I read something about a event on Duke of York but it was a third party reference I think, can't be sure though.

I do hope it is a reward ship.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,043 battles
3 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

Oh I see.

Well I think I read something about a event on Duke of York but it was a third party reference I think, can't be sure though.

Yep, it looks like there will be some kind of DoY campaign event, possibly like Hood where buying it makes the campaign easier, or possibly with her as a campaign reward.

[PROJX]
Members
1,035 posts
19,934 battles
1 hour ago, PelicanHazard said:

What riddle?

The December missions/sales preview had its usual hints at what’s coming in Dec.  One of the items was about a man going up & coming down a mountain which the OP figured out was Abruzzi, implying the ship’s releasing in Dec.

3 of the others implied the T-61 release, return of Santa’s crates or something similar & the non-HSF Graf Spee will be on sale.

Edited by hangglide42

[PROJX]
Members
1,035 posts
19,934 battles
1 hour ago, Silver_kun said:

Oh I see.

1 hour ago, mofton said:

He had ten thousand men;

This is fascinating +1 - this does seem to fit the riddle better, tho, the riddle could conceivably apply to both.   

The other thing is that that there were reports from the 6.15 test (not PT, but early testers) that there’s a Xmas/New Year’s campaign akin to last year’s Graf Spee/Santa’s Convoy Campaign.  I think it’s possible the Duke of York is a reward ship for this campaign (along w/ the early ship availability for purchase).  Kinda curious if the “aft-vent” reference implies the timing of the Campaign as being a post-Xmas pre-New Years timing of the campaign?

I think the man w/ a pile of secrets refers to the Santa’s crates or something similar, tho, rather than the Vampire. (Update: just found out this is a quote from Dracula, so you’re right! This is a Vampire release)

Edited by hangglide42

[HDR]
Members
1,262 posts
3,230 battles
17 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

The other thing is that that there were reports from the 6.15 test (not PT, but early testers) that there’s a Xmas/New Year’s campaign akin to last year’s Graf Spee/Santa’s Convoy Campaign.  I think it’s possible the Duke of York is a reward ship for this campaign (along w/ the early ship availability for purchase).

That's interesting to know, will keep that in mind.

[NKVD]
Members
866 posts
8,556 battles

This ship gets a massive "pass" from me. It offers very little at tier 7 and most of the tech tree ships already in game for silver offer so much more. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,043 battles
4 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

This ship gets a massive "pass" from me. It offers very little at tier 7 and most of the tech tree ships already in game for silver offer so much more. 

Abruzzi, Duke of York, or both?

[NKVD]
Members
866 posts
8,556 battles
1 minute ago, mofton said:

Abruzzi, Duke of York, or both?

Abruzzi absolutely, and sadly the DoY doesn't look good from the leaked stats right now either. The biggest issue zi see with DoY is the lack of a repair party which makes it absolutely unsurvivable.  I am hoping that was an error or unintended omission by wargaming. If it isn't, DoY is DoA (dead on arrival) into battle. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,043 battles
16 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

Abruzzi absolutely, and sadly the DoY doesn't look good from the leaked stats right now either. The biggest issue zi see with DoY is the lack of a repair party which makes it absolutely unsurvivable.  I am hoping that was an error or unintended omission by wargaming. If it isn't, DoY is DoA (dead on arrival) into battle. 

I concur. I thought Abruzzi's lack of firepower compared to say Shchors would be offset by her better handling, concealment and hydro/DFAA slots, apparently not.

DoY will be DoA but I think the lack of repair is purposeful, they're giving her cruiser consumables (DFAA or Hydro) and cruiser damage con, plus 30s instead of 60s burn time. The problem is that fires will still hurt and she's still a huge, unmaneuverable target. Plus when the BB you're fighting can repair those overpens and '33' pens and you can't you're just out of luck.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

He had ten thousand men;

December 11 week event was a dead giveaway to Graf Spee also from what I am seeing DOY isn’t done Abruzzi is done.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,043 battles
7 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

December 11 week event was a dead giveaway to Graf Spee also from what I am seeing DOY isn’t done Abruzzi is done.

Well, the clue is literally a line of lyrics from a nursery rhyme about the Duke of York, it could be a red herring - if so, WP WG.

DoY shouldn't take too long to balance being a consumable tweaked clone.

Just because Abruzzi's done doesn't mean she'll be released soon, Vampire's been ready since 19 October going on Flamu's video, but won't be released until mid-December. Ashitaka was CC reviewed a fortnight ago but apparently isn't coming in December either.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

The huang he makes me butt hurt enough that I may not pick this one up, even though it looks like a decent ship.  D'Aosta will probably do for now.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,551 battles

The more I think about it I am kind of hoping Abruzzi just gets shoved out the door as is. D'Aosta is really comfortable for me and to be able to bounce between two ships that are the same I will take the TIX spanking every now and then. :cap_wander_2:

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
853 posts
7,308 battles
10 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

The more I think about it I am kind of hoping Abruzzi just gets shoved out the door as is. D'Aosta is really comfortable for me and to be able to bounce between two ships that are the same I will take the TIX spanking every now and then. :cap_wander_2:

I agree. Just give me the Abruzzi.

• Cool 2

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
On 12/1/2017 at 6:01 PM, crzyhawk said:

The huang he makes me butt hurt enough that I may not pick this one up, even though it looks like a decent ship.  D'Aosta will probably do for now.

You'll regret it IMO

Edited by GreyFox78659