You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
orangebowl1

New AP bombs are utter garbage

46 comments in this topic

[PLANB]
Members
47 posts
6,344 battles

Honestly why would you ever run these bombs? They are utter garbage. They hit like IJN DBs more often than not. Oh and they don't light fires so they're not actually useful. It doesn't seem to matter where you hit the ship, they're bad anywhere. You can get all 7 hits on a BB and not even break 10k damage, how does this make any sense whatsover? What is the point of actually using these?

USN AP.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,563 battles

Replay, more of that screenshot, or other screenshots to show us who you actually hit.

AP bombs need proper ships in order to damage.  And when you do hit them, they are great.  The ones they aren't designed for, they do piddly.  

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,250 posts

With AP bombs, you want to use them on battleships. They work best on German and Japanese battleships. 

The hint on how they work is in the name: AP bombs. They are like AP shells, and can do citadel damage to certain ships, depending on armour layouts. Again, they work best on German and Japanese battleships. Don't try them on DDs, and only some cruisers are vulnerable. I would greatly recommend testing out the AP bombs in a training room, and seeing for yourself which ships it works on, and which ships it doesn't.  

• Cool 2

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
323 posts
8,911 battles

Don't forget more heavily armored cruisers. I've deleted more than a few cocky cruisers thinking that they were safe. Also don't forget if you use the alt attack you could quite possibly land all the bombs on a Shima, no citadel damage but I'm sure poking 14 holes will do some damage. 

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,735 battles
45 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

With AP bombs, you want to use them on battleships. They work best on German and Japanese battleships. 

The hint on how they work is in the name: AP bombs. They are like AP shells, and can do citadel damage to certain ships, depending on armour layouts. Again, they work best on German and Japanese battleships. Don't try them on DDs, and only some cruisers are vulnerable. I would greatly recommend testing out the AP bombs in a training room, and seeing for yourself which ships it works on, and which ships it doesn't.  

but it is far easier to just come here and complain about something you have no idea of, rather than testing, reading, research and getting the hang of it....

uvkLwwi.jpg

BzeHGLd.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
683 posts
18,928 battles
2 hours ago, orangebowl1 said:

Honestly why would you ever run these bombs? They are utter garbage. They hit like IJN DBs more often than not. Oh and they don't light fires so they're not actually useful. It doesn't seem to matter where you hit the ship, they're bad anywhere. You can get all 7 hits on a BB and not even break 10k damage, how does this make any sense whatsover? What is the point of actually using these?

USN AP.png

PLEASE MY AP BOMBS ARE BAD :(  3 BOMBS AP 24000 WITH LEX, now I question wha t you want??  bomb AP of 15k?
RDmKphg.jpg

Edited by rafael_azuaje
  • Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
14 posts
8,112 battles

I know it's only one time in 4 games, but a single squad of my Lexington AP DBs did 50k damage in one drop on a Bismarck. Sometimes, it works wonderfully (and I like that).

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I don't see any USN CV taking AP Bombs, dive bombers are their main weapon. Taking a weapon that can only hit 1/2 the BBs in the game (and BBs only make up a what, 40% of the players in-game)... doesn't make sense. You'd be making yourself a threat to only 20% of the enemy team, while the remaining 80% are unaffected or so poorly affected as to ignore you? How does that make sense?

• Cool 1

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
7,127 battles
3 hours ago, Sock5 said:

Replay, more of that screenshot, or other screenshots to show us who you actually hit.

AP bombs need proper ships in order to damage.  And when you do hit them, they are great.  The ones they aren't designed for, they do piddly.  

New Mexico, Fuso, KGM bb's, and brit bb's, hak, taiho, midway, moskva.

a grand total of 26 ships that AP bombs are good against.  157 ships that AP bombs are not good against.

yea... AP bombs are worth it.  :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Shadeylark

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,963 posts
18,840 battles

They are what they are, made for hitting heavily armored targets like BBs. I think it is absolutely stupid that you can not switch between HE and AP bombs in battle. IMHO if they want to do stuff like this, every ship in the game should be forced to select it's ammo before the match. The only upside to this is it keeps me from buying any more premium carriers in the future so I can spend my money on other hobbies/interests. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,606 posts

Problem with AP bombs is that they are more situational than even DW torpedoes, with having far too small a possible target selection. The other problem is their alpha is the same or lower than the HE bombs. So unless you can actually citadel, HE bombs will do more damage AND set fires. So against German BBs, they can hurt. Against some IJN BBs, they can hurt. Against everyone else, it's incredible hit and miss, mostly miss. That being said, I do believe AP bombs have a much smaller bomb drop pattern than the HE ones, so you might be able to land more of them.

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,563 battles
13 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

New Mexico, Fuso, KGM bb's, and brit bb's, hak, taiho, midway, moskva.

a grand total of 26 ships that AP bombs are good against.  157 ships that AP bombs are not good against.

yea... AP bombs are worth it.  :Smile_sceptic:

They also have that reduced spread, which makes it a bit easier to hit those pesky DDs.  It's not fantastic damage, but you can score hits.

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles

Took my Midway out last night and end up with 245k damage with the DB running AP bombs.  Plays just like my Enterprise but with better torpedo spread.  I don’t really have a problem with it so far but I do enjoy the 2 2 2 load out.  The AP does a lot of damage to all battleships.  And they were crying that the should nerf the AP bomb already.  I think with the AP bomb load out it makes it a bit more competitive against the Hakuryu cause u can almost go toe to toe in deleting big targets.  However that being said 3 squads of tier 10 TB still has the slight edge over the Midway’s Tier 8 TB.  But if u are patient and go after their ships when most of their AA is knocked out in the later half of the battle it should be good.  But I will need more games in it to be sure.  But so far it just plays like an Enterprise so I am comfortable with it.  

• Cool 1

Members
2,380 posts
4,171 battles
16 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

ap bombs are great

unknown2.png

unknown.png

Have not taken Lexi out but I agree works for me.

hizHm9y.jpg

Edited by StoneRhino

[PLANB]
Members
47 posts
6,344 battles
10 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

what about HE bombs because i am conflicted on whether i shud use them or AP bombs (situational).

See this one bugs me, if we are going to have 2 different bombs types I think we oughta have the choice like every other ships in the game to change our ammo type mid fight. Because I can load AP bombs hoping for a bunch of German BBs on the other team and end up against 2 USN BBs and like 7 DDs and my AP bombs just became useless and I'm going to have paltry hits.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
7,127 battles
On 11/30/2017 at 9:10 AM, Sock5 said:

They also have that reduced spread, which makes it a bit easier to hit those pesky DDs.  It's not fantastic damage, but you can score hits.

Yea and a pellet gun can be more accurate than a 50 cal... which do you want to bring to a fight?

Edited by Shadeylark
  • Cool 2

Members
1,753 posts
3,775 battles

The things are so bipolar it isn't funny.  In my first strike in my first game in my Lex with its new loadout I deleted a Bismarck then proceeded to overpen every single other BB in the match repeatedly.  Nearly half of my total damage came from that first run.  You get more consistent damage out of HE bombs but you get bigger spikes out of AP.  

Edited by Palladia

[PLANB]
Members
47 posts
6,344 battles
1 hour ago, Palladia said:

The things are so bipolar it isn't funny.  In my first strike in my first game in my Lex ith its new loadout I deleted a Bismarck then proceeded to overpen every single other BB in the match repeatedly.  Nearly half of my total damage came from that first run.  You get more consistent damage out of HE bombs but you get bigger spikes out of AP.  

Thats exactly how I feel, German BBs IJN BBs and T10 CAs are really the only ships it's even worth it to go after. I hit a monty with 12 and did like 15k damage.

Members
400 posts
2,441 battles
On 11/29/2017 at 2:21 PM, orangebowl1 said:

USN AP.png

"When you want to put holes in a ship, send in the bombers. When you want to sink a ship send in Torpedoes. "

Edited by sartt

[DRACS]
Members
3,606 posts

I strongly dislike that AP bombs do extreme damage to 25% of ships it comes across, and next to no damage to the rest. Wargaming addressed concerns about the HE DB accuracy by introducing highly accurate bombs that are useless against most ships. So you're at the mercy of matchmaking. Come into a battle with a lot of enemy german BBs and a Des Moines? Great! Load into a match with a ton of Iowas and Minotaurs? Sucks to be you! This is exceptionally poor design.

• Cool 1