You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

Auction off the premiums from banned accounts.

47 comments in this topic

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,021 battles

I was reading the WOT Fair Play Policy update. They were talking about the number of accounts banned for using 3rd party mods that give unfair advantages over other players. The line "For those who think cheating is OK, we hope that the potential risk of losing an account you've built for years will help you reconsider" made me think.

Someone who has spent years developing an account probably has some premium ships sitting there. It would be a terrible shame for those premium ships to just... vanish... if the account was banned.

When the police catch some low life committing crimes, my government can confiscate good that appear to have been obtained through the proceeds of crime and sell them at auction.

Could WG have a monthly auction, selling off premium stuff that has been confiscated from banned accounts? Players are happy as some of these premiums may no longer be for sale, and WG would make money on the same ship twice...

Just an idea. Flame away.

• Cool 2

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles

Why would they make money on the same ship twice if the auction price is less than it would be in the premium shop? Its not that they have to 'produce' a new ship or have any costs from selling it through the premiumshop. They will lose money if the auctionprice is less than the price of the ship in the premium shop.

Edit:

Maybe you have a point on ships that aren't available anymore, but then again, they are probably removed from the shop with a reason ;)

Edited by Henk85

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,021 battles
5 minutes ago, Henk85 said:

Why would they make money on the same ship twice if the auction price is less than it would be in the premium shop? Its not that they have to 'produce' a new ship or have any costs from selling it through the premiumshop. They will lose money if the auctionprice is less than the price of the ship in the premium shop.

Edit:

Maybe you have a point on ships that aren't available anymore, but then again, they are probably removed from the shop with a reason ;)

You could look at it like it was already sold once, so if they sell it again, even for less than available in the premium shop, it's still more money in WG's coffers than just deleting it. Someone might be willing to buy it at a reduced price rather than full price, so something is better than nothing.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,021 battles
4 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Say what?

Confiscate bits? Seriously?

:cap_wander:

Bits you've paid $50 - $80 dollars for, that are suddenly gone when your account is deleted.

And every post has people talking about "their" ships.

Members
3,403 posts
6,063 battles

Seeing as how there has already been a issue with sweeping bans that caught innocent folks - no.  Besides - they want folks to pay the full price.   I would also bet no banned accounts are 'deleted'.  The number actually banned is VERY few and likely no permanent bans handed out either.

Edited by CylonRed

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles

@HyperFish

It doesnt matter for WG whether they sell a 'used' ship or a brand new one, as the brand new one is just a copy of the used one sold previously.

[CYKA]
Members
847 posts
4,808 battles
2 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

You could look at it like it was already sold once, so if they sell it again, even for less than available in the premium shop, it's still more money in WG's coffers than just deleting it. Someone might be willing to buy it at a reduced price rather than full price, so something is better than nothing.

Nope, and you're telling WG to sell off bits of data from a banned account? while they could just place fresh bits of data of the same ship to new purchasers 

Digital good isn't handled the same as physical good.  

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles
1 minute ago, leehwongxing said:

Nope, and you're telling WG to sell off bits of data from a banned account? while they could just place fresh bits of data of the same ship to new purchasers 

I agree with u completly

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

No. There is no "thing" to auction. If however, they want to authorize the ship(s) for Niko to giveaway in contests, heck yea!

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,364 posts
7,930 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

No. There is no "thing" to auction. If however, they want to authorize the ship(s) for Niko to giveaway in contests, heck yea!

This, or, possibly, if you have been in good standing (those times they give you camo's and all for not getting in trouble) that look at premiums on those banned accounts and give them as rewards for those that follow the rules.

Or Christmas/Hanukkah/any other holidays that have gift giving at that time presents.

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I think this is a better idea. Selling premium ships from banned accounts kind of appeals to me for some reason but your idea is much better IMHO.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

As stated, you aren't actually buying a 'thing' when you buy a premium ship.  You are buying permission to use that ship on your account.  You have no possession, no thing, no item.  Just access.  WG doesn't have a warehouse full of confiscated pixel ships that could be put to other use.  WG has one pixel ship, say Atlanta, that they have sold thousands of usage privileges to.  When an account is closed, those usage rights *poof* vanish with the account.  It isn't any different than the tech tree ships those accounts had researched/bought.

Edited by desmo_2

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

As stated, you aren't actually buying a 'thing' when you buy a premium ship.  You are buying permission to use that ship on your account.  You have no possession, no thing, no item.  Just access.  WG doesn't have a warehouse full of confiscated pixel ships that could be put to other use.  WG has one pixel ship, say Atlanta, that they have sold thousands of usage privileges to.

U could argue against this though:
Lets just say that u are forced (under duress) to give ur accountdetails to some robber and u were complaining about ur Atlanta being stolen, in your words it wouldnt actually be theft. Mayb u can make a complaint about the threats made against you, but nothing more. Why cant you just 'own' digital goods or things? there is nothing wrong with that. And if your account gets banned, WG didnt steal that ship, you just broke your contractual obligations. Nothing wrong with that thought imo

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

I was reading the WOT Fair Play Policy update. They were talking about the number of accounts banned for using 3rd party mods that give unfair advantages over other players. The line "For those who think cheating is OK, we hope that the potential risk of losing an account you've built for years will help you reconsider" made me think.

Someone who has spent years developing an account probably has some premium ships sitting there. It would be a terrible shame for those premium ships to just... vanish... if the account was banned.

When the police catch some low life committing crimes, my government can confiscate good that appear to have been obtained through the proceeds of crime and sell them at auction.

Could WG have a monthly auction, selling off premium stuff that has been confiscated from banned accounts? Players are happy as some of these premiums may no longer be for sale, and WG would make money on the same ship twice...

Just an idea. Flame away.

If they resell premium ships from banned accounts (which is pointless as they are just digital files) then the argument could be made that they are financially benefitting from banning accounts. Then people freak out and claim they got banned because WG makes money off of it, then lawsuits start happening (whether justified or not) and all sorts of foolishness. It's a can of worms that won't be opened. 

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles
1 minute ago, poeticmotion said:

If they resell premium ships from banned accounts (which is pointless as they are just digital files) then the argument could be made that they are financially benefitting from banning accounts. Then people freak out and claim they got banned because WG makes money off of it, then lawsuits start happening (whether justified or not) and all sorts of foolishness. It's a can of worms that won't be opened. 

As u say; its pointless. therefore any of the lawsuits will be pointless too because they can just point out that they didnt benefit as it earns them nothing more or nothing less than just buying a new ship

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,499 battles
2 minutes ago, Henk85 said:

As u say; its pointless. therefore any of the lawsuits will be pointless too because they can just point out that they didnt benefit as it earns them nothing more or nothing less than just buying a new ship

Oh, the lawsuits would be pointless, but corporations do a lot of things to minimize exposure to even pointless lawsuits as it costs time and money to defend even against the most pointless suit, and the wrong jury can make even a pointless suit an expensive loss if it goes to trial. 

[OPGS]
Members
20 posts
15,791 battles

thats true, and dont start about jury-system :P. But I still think an unreasonable claim can actually turn in favor of the company aswell. But like we agreed before: the whole point of lawsuits is pointless because they wont do second hand ships :P. This topic/forum is not the place for a discussion about legal systems; if u wanna start that discussion; pls PM ;-P

[EREKT]
Members
745 posts
5,755 battles

Maybe wargaming should create serial numbers for the digital ships. It's a product after all... it's not like they can make digital transactions without having a item code and a transaction number etc.

Hehe jk

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,414 battles
1 hour ago, leehwongxing said:

Especially when the said digital goods don't really belong to players in the first place.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,414 battles
4 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I'd probably sell my Nikolai and Gremy for the right price.  Don't see WG letting me though.

I'd probably sell Ishizuchi, Warspite and maybe a few others that are now redundant.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
2 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

I'd probably sell Ishizuchi, Warspite and maybe a few others that are now redundant.

No need to sell those. . . you can still buy them.

By why would you want to anyway?  I've just discovered how AMAZING Ishizuchi is these days, and having great fun with her.  Warspite too.  Those are both fantastic in the new environment.