You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
poeticmotion

AFK to the rescue!

13 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,507 battles

So, usually when I have a computer crash or lose my internet connection, I'm dead by the time I can load back in and my team is usually losing or has already lost (which is unsurprising when they are a man down.) Not this time. Loop, domination mode: Game starts in my Missouri, I start to move forward, and just as I approach C cap to radar and help the DD ahead of me secure the cap, the game crashes. I end up having to restart not just the game, but my computer. And my computer takes forever to restart.

It's been close to 15 minutes into match before I get back into game AND ZOMG I'M STILL ALIVE. Except that I'm flooding, on fire, and missing half my XP, and I have a smoke cloud behind me with a Lo Yang raining HE on me and a low-health Z-52 5.5km off my port side that had just landed torps on me and was also firing at me. 

But it's Missouri, and Missouri loves company <3 . My rear turret swings onto the smoke cloud, I trigger radar, and then I blow up the near-dead Lo Yang that was sitting in smoke before he could react and start to move. My front turrets swing onto the Z-52, who by now had turned hard to port and was running away as fast as he could...and boom, bag my second kill (and I must have missed double strike by no more than a second or two :( ). Two dead DDs, game over, and a win. 

Moral of the story: If you've got the win sewn up, don't tempt fate by trying to damage farm off an AFK that can kill you with one or two shells...you never know when he'll come back alive. The red team would have easily won on points had they not both been right up on me trying to secure the kill before the other could. And if you do have a computer crash, get back in as quickly as you can, because you just might save the day. 

(Also, I find it hilarious that I still got 2k xp and made a profit in credits without a premium account, without flags, and without first-win xp bonus, all for only 4k dmg and two kills after being AFK almost all game. I love my Missouri.)

jNMxuT8.png

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 4

[USCC2]
Members
3,418 posts

Wise words - the possum that looks dead may wake up and in fact be a 'Honey Badger' (see YouTube if you don't know how dangerous they are lol). :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[KP]
Members
1,992 posts
18,368 battles
5 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

So, usually when I have a computer crash or lose my internet connection, I'm dead by the time I can load back in and my team is usually losing or has already lost (which is unsurprising when they are a man down.) Not this time. Loop, domination mode: Game starts in my Missouri, I start to move forward, and just as I approach C cap to radar and help the DD ahead of me secure the cap, the game crashes. I end up having to restart not just the game, but my computer. And my computer takes forever to restart.

It's been close to 15 minutes into match before I get back into game AND ZOMG I'M STILL ALIVE. Except that I'm flooding, on fire, and missing half my XP, and I have a smoke cloud behind me with a Lo Yang raining HE on me and a low-health Z-52 5.5km off my port side that had just landed torps on me and was also firing at me. 

But it's Missouri, and Missouri loves company <3 . My rear turret swings onto the smoke cloud, I trigger radar, and then I blow up the near-dead Lo Yang that was sitting in smoke before he could react and start to move. My front turrets swing onto the Z-52, who by now had turned hard to port and was running away as fast as he could...and boom, bag my second kill (and I must have missed double strike by no more than a second or two :( ). Two dead DDs, game over, and a win. 

Moral of the story: If you've got the win sewn up, don't tempt fate by trying to damage farm off an AFK that can kill you with one or two shells...you never know when he'll come back alive. The red team would have easily won on points had they not both been right up on me trying to secure the kill before the other could. And if you do have a computer crash, get back in as quickly as you can, because you just might save the day. 

(Also, I find it hilarious that I still got 2k xp and made a profit in credits without a premium account, without flags, and without first-win xp bonus, all for only 4k dmg and two kills after being AFK almost all game. I love my Missouri.)

jNMxuT8.png

It makes you wonder? I disconnected yesterday, the furnace repair guy tripped the breaker. I load back in and got top XP in a win LOL. It makes you wonder what everyone else is Smoking. How a guy out of a match for 7 minutes can come back in and get top XP? Good job BTW I bet the DD's were a wee bit salty when they got back to Port.

Edited by IronMike11B4O

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i remember a match like this.  crash then come back in being fired on and torps toward me.  was able to move enough to dodge the torps (was in a cruiser) and kill the DD as well as another DD to help carry a win.   

[HEROS]
Members
1,391 posts
11,810 battles

yep!

*strikes epic pose*

Never Give up!  Never surrender!

..And the unmentioned here is his own team is bound to have had some whiny "childe" reporting the afk players because you know... reasons!

I've never quite managed to get back into the last 5 min of a fight, but I've had getting into the battle 10 min into it (you don't even wanna know!)..  More often then not IF I'm still alive I end up doing some pretty effective work and have turned several defeats into wins.  

[NUWES]
Members
1,633 posts
5,477 battles

I've had that happen to me as well, several times unfortunately. Match started, I started moving into position  and then ... crash. Thankfully I built my comp to load quickly. I can completely reboot and get back into the game in a couple of minutes and still participate. I only wish I could figure out what causes the game to crash occasionally. 

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,713 battles
2 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

you get more XP/credits for killing DD's right?

Not necessarily.  XP & credits are proportional to the full HP of the ship, so for the same damage done to a DD, a CA, a BB, and a CV you would get more XP/credits for the damage done to the DD (because the overall HP pool is lower and thus the damage is a higher % of that). 

However, my understanding is that the bonus for a kill is the same regardless of class.