You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rekkoff

Skipping the new DD line.

65 comments in this topic

[115TH]
Beta Testers
256 posts

Yeah, think ill skip the new DD line.. Dont see a point in them really. If I cant torp DD's in smoke then theres no point to playing them. Even with the radar gimmick at higher tiers.  

• Cool 5

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,260 battles
10 minutes ago, Rekkoff said:

Yeah, think ill skip the new DD line.. Dont see a point in them really. If I cant torp DD's in smoke then theres no point to playing them. Even with the radar gimmick at higher tiers.  

Yep I hear you on no dd torping, but there's always a cruiser or BB you can hit behind that dd, and non-stop smoke is going to have people complaning more than "I can't hit a dd with my torps" IMHO

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

Technically I'm still grinding IJN, Russian and US DDs, US and UK BBs, UK Cruisers and IJN and US CVs.

No time to grind anything else.

Members
831 posts
1,260 battles
16 minutes ago, Rekkoff said:

If I cant torp DD's in smoke then theres no point to playing them.

They have pretty good guns you know

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,767 battles

IMHO the new DDs will spend all their time trying to outflank or humping the border to try to get to the capital ships. Any other DD is going to have an advantage since it's main weapon is still effective against the derp water torp carrying Pan Asian line. Just nothing interesting about them.

• Cool 1

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

There are some fun-looking ships in the line, like the Minekaze with Nicholas' stock guns at tier 4 and the mini-Gearing at tier 7.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
9 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I get the feeling Pan Asian DD are the answer to a question no one actually asked....

Eh, I wouldn't agree, except Dasha's script sure makes that sound right.

They don't float my bote, but I just made Lo Yang my 14th 19-point commander so I can eat up the new prey tomorrow.   Tomorrow is a day for some serious hunting for our Lo Yang and Akizukis.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,740 posts
7,358 battles

You seem to not be aware of the fact that DD's aren't meant to only torp other DD's in smoke. They scout, cap, defend, area deny, and go after battlesh...ooooooh, wait. Right. Forgot who I was typing to. My mistake.

• Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
8,993 battles
15 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

There are some fun-looking ships in the line, like the Minekaze with Nicholas' stock guns at tier 4 and the mini-Gearing at tier 7.

No, it's a mini Tribal... Think Blysk guns with less range but faster reload. Think guns that are way better than Gearing's to play with

Edited by Ducky_shot

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
57 minutes ago, MeKanism said:

They have pretty good guns you know

Except I can't gun duel worth a flip anyway?

I never wanted Anshan and Lo Yang; if they hadn't come in Christmas containers last year I still wouldn't have them. I think I suck at using them. Why do I need another line of ships everyone else will likely do well with, but I'll likely suck at?

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,210 posts
6,433 battles
40 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I get the feeling Pan Asian DD are the answer to a question no one actually asked....

I always wanted a Destroyer that can Torpedo Battleships more reliably. IJN DDs got nerfed quite badly, but with these 0.8km Detection Torpedoes I am confident that Battleship captains will soon Show up on this Forum to complain about how unfair everything is.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
2 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I always wanted a Destroyer that can Torpedo Battleships more reliably. IJN DDs got nerfed quite badly, but with these 0.8km Detection Torpedoes I am confident that Battleship captains will soon Show up on this Forum to complain about how unfair everything is.

Yeah, it will be fun to see the carnage, BBs have had it easy for too long (I have 3 of the 4 btw).  It will be like the early IJN days, lol.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

The chinese dragon flag makes me wanna skip this line. Where is the historical flags? :fish_glass:

• Cool 4

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
20 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

First time I've disagreed with you - respectfully of course! :Smile_honoring:

For me the fact that the torps are longer range means they will be longer in the water and therefore longer for DDs, CAs, Spotters, Fighters, CV aircraft to see - and once seen the detection doesn't matter at all; they are seen to all in game for the rest of their course. I don't believe PA DD will be any more reliable until we get to the end of the matches and all of the above have thinned out to nothing (if the PA DD has survived that is!). Then the torps will come in handy against the bigger ships.

The question will be, are the PA DDs good enough to last to the latter part of the game (or more to the point, is the Captain/Player!)? Yes, PA DDs have something different, that's about it - they will get a lot of hate because the PA DDs will flood the tiers for the next few months and those players that get killed by them will have something new to blame (when in fact the reason they got killed is more likely the reason most get killed in the game - the other guy wasn't cheating or had some unfair advantage - he/she was just a better player!).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,870 posts
13,378 battles
1 hour ago, HyenaHiena said:

The chinese dragon flag makes me wanna skip this line. Where is the historical flags? :fish_glass:

Did you skip the IJN & German lines too?

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,210 posts
6,433 battles
54 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

First time I've disagreed with you - respectfully of course! :Smile_honoring:

For me the fact that the torps are longer range means they will be longer in the water and therefore longer for DDs, CAs, Spotters, Fighters, CV aircraft to see - and once seen the detection doesn't matter at all; they are seen to all in game for the rest of their course. I don't believe PA DD will be any more reliable until we get to the end of the matches and all of the above have thinned out to nothing (if the PA DD has survived that is!). Then the torps will come in handy against the bigger ships.

The question will be, are the PA DDs good enough to last to the latter part of the game (or more to the point, is the Captain/Player!)? Yes, PA DDs have something different, that's about it - they will get a lot of hate because the PA DDs will flood the tiers for the next few months and those players that get killed by them will have something new to blame (when in fact the reason they got killed is more likely the reason most get killed in the game - the other guy wasn't cheating or had some unfair advantage - he/she was just a better player!).

I disagree.

The range of a Torpedo does not have any influence on the target I fire at. If I fire at a Battleship at 10km, it doesn't matter if I am using the old Shimakaze 20km Torps, Gearing's 16.5km Torps or the 12km Torps of the current Yuugumo. Only influence the range will have in this case is that Those Torpedoes might hit something behind the target, though that also includes friendlies.

The Spotting Range however is quite significant once we consider that ships will be between our ship and the target. Given that the ships between ourselves and the target are neither stationary nor are likely to sail parallel to the Torpedoes, we must look at the Torpedo detection as a circle, which means that the Impact of the Torpedo Visbility is even more important.

And that will Play a role when we compare the Torpedoes between the nations. Let's go with T10, shall we?

Range Speed Damage Reload Visibility
Shimakaze 8km 8km 76kn 21366 131s 1.8km
Shimakaze 12km 12km 67kn 23766 153s 1.7km
Shimakaze 20km 20km 62kn 20966 150s 2.5km
Gearing 16.5km 66kn 17900 136s 1.4km
Grozovoi 10km 65kn 14600 129s 1.3km
Z-52 10.5km 69kn 14400 90s 1.4km
Yueyang 13.5km 68kn 17900 136s 0.8km

(Excluded Khaba for obvious reasons)

Of all These Options that we see above, which ones are more likely to reach a target without being detected? For that question we only Need to look at the Speed and visbility. All Shimakaze Options, Grozovoi and Gearing fall immediately out because we either have ridiculous Visibility (looking at you Shimakaze) or because they are both slower and easier to detect than the Yueyang's Torps. Actually we can also throw Z-52 out of the window as well, I highly doubt that this one knot of Speed makes up for the extra 600m spotting.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
350 posts
9,145 battles

I think only the Gearing torp could really compete in what your looking for if we use TA with the torps  most people won't be able to react in time to a 71kt moving torp with 1.4km detection

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,525 battles

I tend to use my guns against DDs anyway, I'm excited about the new line. If you consistently get torped in fights with another DD you're doing it very wrong; for me, I think the tradeoff of being able to massacre derpy capital ships with less notice more than compensates for not being able to hit destroyers. I have guns for the red destroyers. 

Members
0 posts
47 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Did you skip the IJN & German lines too?

I have not nor will I ever give up hope that this will happen!  It flies TODAY/2017 on Japanese ships.

x0fgcpN.gif

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
46 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I disagree.

The range of a Torpedo does not have any influence on the target I fire at. If I fire at a Battleship at 10km, it doesn't matter if I am using the old Shimakaze 20km Torps, Gearing's 16.5km Torps or the 12km Torps of the current Yuugumo. Only influence the range will have in this case is that Those Torpedoes might hit something behind the target, though that also includes friendlies.

The Spotting Range however is quite significant once we consider that ships will be between our ship and the target. Given that the ships between ourselves and the target are neither stationary nor are likely to sail parallel to the Torpedoes, we must look at the Torpedo detection as a circle, which means that the Impact of the Torpedo Visbility is even more important.

And that will Play a role when we compare the Torpedoes between the nations. Let's go with T10, shall we?

Range Speed Damage Reload Visibility
Shimakaze 8km 8km 76kn 21366 131s 1.8km
Shimakaze 12km 12km 67kn 23766 153s 1.7km
Shimakaze 20km 20km 62kn 20966 150s 2.5km
Gearing 16.5km 66kn 17900 136s 1.4km
Grozovoi 10km 65kn 14600 129s 1.3km
Z-52 10.5km 69kn 14400 90s 1.4km
Yueyang 13.5km 68kn 17900 136s 0.8km

(Excluded Khaba for obvious reasons)

Of all These Options that we see above, which ones are more likely to reach a target without being detected? For that question we only Need to look at the Speed and visbility. All Shimakaze Options, Grozovoi and Gearing fall immediately out because we either have ridiculous Visibility (looking at you Shimakaze) or because they are both slower and easier to detect than the Yueyang's Torps. Actually we can also throw Z-52 out of the window as well, I highly doubt that this one knot of Speed makes up for the extra 600m spotting.

And that is where I go back to all the things that can spot in game - much of the time the detection rate will not matter as the torps will be seen. It is not until the end of the game that PA DDs will perform better because the torps have less of a chance for being spotted then due to aircraft or the ships that launch them being destroyed.

Edited by _WaveRider_

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,525 battles
9 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

And that is where I go back to all the things that can spot in game - much of the time the detection rate will not matter as the torps will be seen. It is not until the end of the game that PA DDs will perform better because the torps have less of a chance for being spotted then due to aircraft or the ships that launch them being destroyed.

You must not play a lot of DDs, or at least not at higher tiers. With few CVs in matches and the hilariously passive play that predominates at t10, I find that I have torps go undetected fairly often. 

Yes, PA DDs will perform better late-game. ALL DDs are typically most powerful in late game. Thats not because of anything special about the pan-asian DDs, its just the nature of the game. But the detection range of deepwater torps will be a big advantage fairly often; just because so many things can spot torps doesnt mean that they actually are where they need to be in order to spot torps, at least not in the current meta on NA server. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
Just now, poeticmotion said:

You must not play a lot of DDs, or at least not at higher tiers. With few CVs in matches and the hilariously passive play that predominates at t10, I find that I have torps go undetected fairly often. 

Yes, PA DDs will perform better late-game. ALL DDs are typically most powerful in late game. Thats not because of anything special about the pan-asian DDs, its just the nature of the game. But the detection range of deepwater torps will be a big advantage fairly often; just because so many things can spot torps doesnt mean that they actually are where they need to be in order to spot torps, at least not in the current meta on NA server. 

About 5000+ at a guess - up to tier X; so you are wrong.

However, the fact you are wrong about my experience in DDs doesn't change our POVs, which of course can be different. :Smile_honoring: