Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Autodesk laying off more than 1K employees

8 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

Sounds like a normal phase for the company. I wouldn't be too concerned about the future of their software unless something drastic happened.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I don't see any product that can compete with Autodesk's portfolio.  This could be indicative of a downturn in civil engineering and architectural design - but I doubt it (and hope not).  More likely they have been burned by publishing a product ten years ago that remains perfectly functional to this day.  Why pay for expensive upgrades, year-to-year, when what you have been using is still familiar and useful? 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

My thought was their push to become more cloud centric.... for what their software does, do you guys who use it thinks that makes sense? Adobe did it (different class of software) to turn over more money. 

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles

The company that currently develops SketchUp is really pushing the whole "soon, everything is going to be exclusively online" thing. They've stopped development of their free, offline capable software [Make] (which helped make SketchUp popular) to focus those resources on a equally free browser-based modelling platform (which btw, is less versatile and does not support add-ons as of yet). They still offer up-to-date, offline-capable software [Pro], but it costs $800 to download. Pro basically is Make with licensing for commercial use, a few extra modeling tools, and with improved ability to make 2D drawings from a model.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Well I guess I'm just different... but uh... seeing as how graphic development is processor intensive, adding internet comm's the picture seems... counter-intuitive. Overall, I would think the power of the PC doing the development work will need to increase specifically to handle the amount of data transfers involved in doing graphic work online. Sure their servers will being doing the heavy lifting but the user's machine(s) will have one heckuva large amount of data flowing back and forth.

On local copy software, the whole element of communicating over the internet is non-existent. I do not see how they can sell the idea.... but hey, I'm an old fart. 

[KNTAI]
Members
1,096 posts
5,971 battles

Only product of them that I use fairly frequently is Graphic (formerly known as iDraw).

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan
Clarification

Sign in to follow this