You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bridder01

Generic Pan-Asian flag on all Pan-Asian ships? NO!!

18 comments in this topic

[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Members
161 posts
13,741 battles

Dear Wargaming,

Usually, I don't write a critique about something because on the whole, you guys do a really good job at bringing us players a really good game.  But in one aspect, I have to criticize you on your upcoming patch 0.6.14.  It has to do with the fact that all of the new Pan-Asian ships will be flying the generic Pan-Asian flag.  I believe this to be a travesty as it robs all the Pan-Asian boats of the national identity as well as historical accuracy.  I am a naval enthusiast and an amateur historian and I like the fact that up till now, the majority of the boats have been historically accurate, even down the the national flag or naval ensign they fly.  I know that the German ships don't fly an accurate flag, but there's a good reason for that.  I believe the Pan-Asian ships should have their own individual nation's flag or naval ensign flying when they go into battle.  The Anshan and the Lo Yang have had them since they were released.  Why not do the same to the rest of the Pan-Asian ships?  I know this may sound like small thing, but to me it enhances how each ship is viewed.  As I've stated earlier, I usually don't find a lot of faults in World of Warships, but in this case, I have to say bring back the national flags on the Pan-Asian ships please!  It'll make them look much better than that generic flag.  Thanks for listening to my critique and hopefully this small problem can be rectified in the near future! :)

Sincerely,

bridder01

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

I agree with the sentiments of the OP, huzzah!

except there has to be some sort of compromise, because there's no other way.

I think you may be off a bit on this one, please try to understand WGs plight.

all is working as intended.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles
5 minutes ago, bridder01 said:

...  I know that the German ships don't fly an accurate flag, but there's a good reason for that.

There's a good reason for this, too.  It's called, "Don't tick off the Chinese government and have them ban your game from the country, thus losing millions of potential customers because of a flag."  When you think about it, that's the exact same reason we don't have the proper KM/IJN flags.  Just because the German government's reasoning is more understandable than China's delusional behavior doesn't mean WG is any less compelled to comply if they wish to do business there.

Edited by kerensky914

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,857 battles

It's a flag...wait...I can see why this is an issue.  Can't we all just not complain about something for 2 hours.  

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

This ends up being politics which isnt going to end well.

AK8Y4tP.gif

That is true.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

As much as I don't like that this is a thing, I understand why. This is China more so than WG, but I do wonder why WG can't deploy region specific flag textures. Warcraft had to cover up all the undead and zombies and skeletons with skin because China has weird laws about exposed bone, but that's only on the Chinese clients. I'm not sure why WG can't just push the generic flag to China and give everyone else the right ones. 

Heck for that matter, I'm not sure why they can't push the sanitized German flags to Europe and give everyone else the right ones. I guess the game just isn't set up for region specific textures? 

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
3 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Heck for that matter, I'm not sure why they can't push the sanitized German flags to Europe and give everyone else the right ones. I guess the game just isn't set up for region specific textures? 

They could do that, but I have to agree that the German Government has a valid point for the flag as @kerensky914 mentioned before. 

Besides, there are still plenty of mods out there.

Edited by Silver_kun

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
3 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

They could do that, but I have to agree that the German Government has a valid point for the flag as @kerensky914 mentioned before. 

Besides, there are still plenty of mods out there.

Sure, but there have been plenty of games in the past that censor Nazi symbols in Europe (or even only in Germany) but not anywhere else. Personally I don't really care. I like my anime boats and my Halloween skins. It'd be mighty hypocritical of me to demand historically accurate visuals now! It's just puzzling to me why they haven't bothered with region specific options, especially since many people do care. 

I think the Pan-Asia case might be the one that really pushes the issue, since as much as China complains, there is a lot of fierce anti-China sentiment in those other nations too, and that Pan-Asia flag does look mighty, mighty Chinese. 

Ah well, it's an interesting situation if nothing else. 

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
4 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Sure, but there have been plenty of games in the past that censor Nazi symbols in Europe (or even only in Germany) but not anywhere else. Personally I don't really care. I like my anime boats and my Halloween skins. It'd be mighty hypocritical of me to demand historically accurate visuals now! It's just puzzling to me why they haven't bothered with region specific options, especially since many people do care. 

I think the Pan-Asia case might be the one that really pushes the issue, since as much as China complains, there is a lot of fierce anti-China sentiment in those other nations too, and that Pan-Asia flag does look mighty, mighty Chinese. 

Ah well, it's an interesting situation if nothing else. 

That is true. I don't have any anime boats myself even though I crave them :cap_old: ,so I just use mods lol.

It is an interesting situation if nothing else indeed.

I don't care either way too but like you said it would be a nice addition.

Edited by Silver_kun

Members
834 posts
4,580 battles

Wait, what about the Korean / Indonesian / Thai ships? They are free from the Chinese flag controversy, so can't they at least get their proper ensigns? The Imperial Russian / Soviet ships do. And what about Imperial German ships?

• Cool 1

Members
139 posts
2,312 battles

Huh, I didn't notice that.  Most of the youtube videos I saw had the actual Republic of China flag on the ships.  But yeah, now that I go and look after the patch, it's been removed.  Considering the Republic of China (Taiwan) is an independent country, and during the time the ships were in action flew the ROC flag, which oddly enough was the flag at the UN as well, it would be nice to get those flags back into the game.

[ECOM]
Members
44 posts
10,145 battles

Command and Conquer Generals got banned from China cuz of flag...so this is just a matter of not pissing off customers because feels

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,820 posts

Ever notice that the more insecure a culture is, the more salty they get about little meaningless things like this?

"Boohooboohoo, the flags in this game are historical instead of dedicated to the greater glory of our greatness!  Ban them, ban them all!" 

Yeah, I'm looking at you when I say that, mainland China.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,036 posts
11,539 battles
On 11/28/2017 at 4:59 PM, TTK_Aegis said:

Perhaps they should use the flag of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity sphere?

For the record, not a serious suggestion.  I really dislike what they did with the flags, but I am surprised my Lo Yang got to keep it's Nationalist flag as long as it did.  I'm not suprised at all that it got changed, and I understand and accept why.

[PVE]
Members
222 posts
10,703 battles

In port, WOWS allows us turn off/on how ships appear, Halloween ships, HSF certain Bismarck camos ect..... why not  add a "flag appearance" switch ?

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,801 battles
7 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Ever notice that the more insecure a culture is, the more salty they get about little meaningless things like this?

"Boohooboohoo, the flags in this game are historical instead of dedicated to the greater glory of our greatness!  Ban them, ban them all!" 

Yeah, I'm looking at you when I say that, mainland China.

Seconded to the power of 10.

[SNAP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
143 posts
3,892 battles
On 11/28/2017 at 4:47 PM, TTK_Aegis said:

As much as I don't like that this is a thing, I understand why. This is China more so than WG, but I do wonder why WG can't deploy region specific flag textures. Warcraft had to cover up all the undead and zombies and skeletons with skin because China has weird laws about exposed bone, but that's only on the Chinese clients. I'm not sure why WG can't just push the generic flag to China and give everyone else the right ones. 

This is old but I need to comment on this anyway.  The Chinese client already has region-specific textures, since Chinese law doesn't allow games to display the flag of any country other than China.  WG is completely capable of giving us historical flags, but they choose not to because for some reason they're absurdly over-sensitive in this specific area.  Realistically, nobody in China would care if we had historical Asian flags on our server, nobody in Korea would care if we had the rising sun flag on our server, and nobody in Europe would care if we had the swastika flag on our server.  But as anyone who followed the SirFoch and Graf Zeppelin disasters knows, WG's PR department is really really weird about what it thinks people will and won't be annoyed by.