You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
aethervox

Pan Asia Flag debacle

29 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

I do like the Red Dragon flag. It will look great on my S Dragon Myoko - much better than the Year of the Chicken (err Rooster) flag.

However, I will not play the Pan Asia DD tech line until these ships have their proper national ensigns on them.

I refuse to kowtow to rabid Chinese nationalism that ignores history to the point of suppressing it nor will I support a blatant economic cave in by WG to these rabid Chinese nationalists.

What has India, Indonesia or S Korea got to do with the Taiwan flag? Absolutely nothing.

I propose that WoWS adopt the Year of the Chicken (err Rooster) flag as  the new logo for WoWS.

• Cool 2

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
50 minutes ago, aethervox said:

What has India, Indonesia or S Korea got to do with the Taiwan flag? Absolutely nothing.

I can`t be sure whether my stance is true but where did you get that from? According to my knowledge India as a whole has nothing against Taiwan in anyway, infact I believe there are people that accept Taiwan as a separate nation.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2104412/chinese-social-media-users-fume-over-indian-magazines

Now referring to the statement above "I can`t be sure whether my stance is true", I say that because there may be certain individuals who believe otherwise and the official government has a unique stance which I have explained further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India–Taiwan_relations

Now I agree, the Indian government recognizes "only the peoples republic of china" but it still has individual relations to Taiwan(atleast unofficially) and has grown significantly since the 1990s. The government has a unique stand but I don`t think they would have a problem with having a virtual flag in game as I believe they are neither passive nor aggressive, but possess a neutral stand. 

Finally I would like to add India doesn`t have the best relations with China, lot of border disputes, online warfare, threats being traded back and forth. China even threatened to mobilize a task force unit at the border I believe but haven`t really done much about that. They even have good relations to the Pakistani government and military(no offence to anyone) but you see, as much as the people of both countries( Pakistan & India) aren`t aggressive to each other(I do hope so), The military and government aren`t on very good terms.

Officially there isn`t war but neither peace. It is just a ceasefire treaty, and people from both sides have been killed due to shelling. There is also the LoC(Line of control) at the border. Officially some countries don`t recognize a solid existing border.

Therefore, I was questioning your sources, I don`t disagree that the people might really have anything against Taiwan, or the Government might have adopted a different stance due to diplomatic issues, but overall I still have faith the the majority of the Indian population should not have anything against Taiwan.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles

It's a game, a friggin game. Why people keep getting all up in arms over a game is just beyond me.

People just need to grow up.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

The easy solution is to just make it different by region. They already have the resources for the different flags, so it would seem like an easy way to give the most vocal in each region what they want and not waste time spent on the flags.

Members
1,547 posts
9,817 battles

So this is all about what country flag appears on your ship's mast?  Lol   really?  He's not going to play the DDs because the flags upset him.....   

Political rants are a violation of the forum rules. Expect a thread lock and possible ban. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles

3b2e08bfdc144fd1b80d01076e79bcf6c258b367

They put all the flags in, they lose, they put all but the two flags causing an issue in, they lose, they put in one generic flag, they lose. There a business, this loses them the least money, they are supposedly working on a flag changer you may be able to rectify the issue later without mods.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles
2 hours ago, aethervox said:

This IS my point here, folks.

From the start, WoWS, has placed national ensigns on the ships. This is (was?) the  WG policy.

Originally, when the Pan Asia DD line was first proposed what  did we see? National ensigns for the various ships according to what nation used them.

Hence, an India flag on the Ghada Madya, an Indonesian one for Indonesia, etc. What about S Korea? Why did it get excluded?

Who has gone 'political' here, Stinkweed? It wasn't me. It was the Chinese player whiners who can't or won't accept  the (Nationalist China) Taiwanese flag.

This is political 'fascism' running amok & I'm not the only one who despises WG for altering national flags just to 'kowtow' to the mainland China 'Chinese' player.

Also, perhaps, laws in mainland China preclude Nationalist Chinese symbols. That's China.

The rest of the world is not China so why does it have to swallow this Chinese bullcrap?

I have every right to say I won't be buying any Pan Asian ships until their proper national ensigns are returned.

This line is supposed to be Pan Asia. There are many 'nations' in Asia. It's not yet Pan China Asia (tho I'm sure this is the wet dream of the rabid Chinese fascists).

& since the early WoWS art shows these national ensign flags, they are already designed & ready - how about the choice be offered on the update tomorrow.

Let's see what flag or flags get voted for here, in real time.

I repeat my proposal that the Year of the Chicken (correction, Rooster) be the new WoWS official logo.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
3 hours ago, Th3Diabolik1 said:

It's a game, a friggin game. Why people keep getting all up in arms over a game is just beyond me.

People just need to grow up.

But it is a game where real life intrudes on occasion.  And you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.  This thing about the Pan-Asian carousel background flag is such a  case.  Now, I can discuss this without being political, but it's a topic where having it slide off into politics is difficult to avoid.

I've suggested it in another thread where I think that the carousel flag should have been a white dragon on a light blue background so that both elements of the flag (i.e. the dragon and the gold/red colors) didn't both scream mainland China.  After all, Pan-Asia isn't Mainland China only.

As for "people just need to grow up", indeed.  Yes, you do need to grow up and realize that there are important issues out there that sometimes, for better or worse, intrude on our games.  It's a lot easier to avoid when the games are set in completely fantasy environments.  But when the game is set in the real world, the real world will intrude.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
2 hours ago, aethervox said:

This IS my point here, folks.

From the start, WoWS, has placed national ensigns on the ships. This is (was?) the  WG policy.

Originally, when the Pan Asia DD line was first proposed what  did we see? National ensigns for the various ships according to what nation used them.

Hence, an India flag on the Ghada Madya, an Indonesian one for Indonesia, etc. What about S Korea? Why did it get excluded?

Who has gone 'political' here, Stinkweed? It wasn't me. It was the Chinese player whiners who can't or won't accept  the (Nationalist China) Taiwanese flag.

This is political 'fascism' running amok & I'm not the only one who despises WG for altering national flags just to 'kowtow' to the mainland China 'Chinese' player.

Also, perhaps, laws in mainland China preclude Nationalist Chinese symbols. That's China.

The rest of the world is not China so why does it have to swallow this Chinese bullcrap?

I have every right to say I won't be buying any Pan Asian ships until their proper national ensigns are returned.

This line is supposed to be Pan Asia. There are many 'nations' in Asia. It's not yet Pan China Asia (tho I'm sure this is the wet dream of the rabid Chinese fascists).

& since the early WoWS art shows these national ensign flags, they are already designed & ready - how about the choice be offered on the update tomorrow.

Let's see what flag or flags get voted for here, in real time.

I repeat my proposal that the Year of the Chicken (correction, Rooster) be the new WoWS official logo.

Aether, this is more than simply Chinese players whining about the Taiwanese flag.  WG has a relationship with the Chinese government, which is how they have a Chinese server in WoT.  (Don't know where the SEA server is for WoWS.)  And because of that relationship, I have no doubt that if the Chinese government is displeased, they'll let WG know in no uncertain terms.  This is the reality of things, like it or not.  WG can't just thumb their nose at the PRC and be all pro-Taiwan if they want to continue doing business inside the PRC.  Frankly, it'd be easier for them to ignore Taiwan, particularly given the relative sizes of the two markets.

So, like I said earlier, I think that the best flag would have been a flag that is a little more politically neutral, like a white dragon on a light blue background, for the reasons I explained earlier.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

So this is all about what country flag appears on your ship's mast?  Lol   really?  He's not going to play the DDs because the flags upset him.....   

Political rants are a violation of the forum rules. Expect a thread lock and possible ban. 

It's also about what flag appears as the background in the carousel port slots.  And while I'm all for the forum rules against political rants and all, this is not an issue that's going to go away any time soon.  It's real life intruding on the game.

Members
0 posts
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Political rants are a violation of the forum rules. Expect a thread lock and possible ban

Not political, it is their opinion and last I heard we are still entitled to have one and exercise our personal beliefs!  Just because you may or may not have PRIDE in your culture, doesn't mean others don't!

But maybe I am wrong Banana split, maybe you do have pride?

xoc19zz.jpg

[WGA]
[WGA]
1,117 posts
3,388 battles

I'm going to step in here early just to warn you all to avoid any political comments that will cause unrest. 

Members
5,001 posts
60 battles

*sigh* Here we go...

I recall I made an article about the conceptual convenant between Asian nations. Not all countries necessarily get along well because of differences, yet they both have great sense of independence. I mean, after all, Asians are naturally conservative people.

I'm an ethnic Chinese, I have no love for the PRC government, but it's no use denying their existence when China is being one of the world's global powers, and it's impossible to hate my own culture either.

When you say "I will not kowtow to China", clearly you're being political here.

Having a dragon as a covenant flag emblem is not good enough?

Edited by Xero_Snake

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,798 battles
46 minutes ago, Mezurashi said:

I'm going to step in here early just to warn you all to avoid any political comments that will cause unrest. 

I am not so sure it is the players or forum members who have caused the "unrest"....

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

Back on topic; re: Pan Asian flag debacle,

Have the Red Dragon flag for mainland China.

Have the national ensign flags (as originally proposed) for every other jurisdiction that is not mainland China.

'Fixed'.

Members
5,001 posts
60 battles

Besides, people should already be aware that Pan Asia isn't just about mainland China alone. I mean, people tend to get their concept wrong to think it's China's empire.

Still think that every countries can keep their national flags own their respective representing ships, while give the Pan Asian Covenant a celestial dragon flag. Well, most Asian civilizations have dragons in their mystical culture after all.

Given how most Asian countries don't necessarily like each other that well as proven for centuries, there were times they could at least agree on working around their mutual goals while maintaining their rivalry. Basically being frenemies at times when needed.

It's beyond more than just capitalism vs communism, mind you. It's fascinating how many people always keep stucking at this tangent & couldn't look beyond that.

Members
0 posts
3 hours ago, Xero_Snake said:

Having a dragon as a covenant flag emblem is not good enough?

It had to be Red & Gold....really!

How about we make it more neutral, say...Blue base with a white dragon?

[SOV]
Members
381 posts
6,357 battles
1 minute ago, Minah_Bang said:

It had to be Red & Gold....really!

How about we make it more neutral, say...Blue base with a white dragon?

....Red and gold doesn't necessarily align a faction with Co*****ism, I mean take macedonia's flag for example.
and vice versa, NK's flag is not really red and gold but...yeah :D

Members
5,001 posts
60 battles
1 hour ago, Noacuracy said:

....Red and gold doesn't necessarily align a faction with Co*****ism, I mean take macedonia's flag for example.
and vice versa, NK's flag is not really red and gold but...yeah :D

Kyrgystan, too. I think some folks should stop taking China Uncensored for granted.

Edited by Xero_Snake