Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gary_P

Question about the Gearing

10 comments in this topic

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,084 battles

What is it's hull number?

I am just a bit curious.

The USS LAFFEY  hull # 724 is a gearing class destroyer that is a museum ship berthed at Patriots point in Charleston South Carolina.

I just discovered this.

I live in Charleston, SC.  I never knew they had a Gearing here. They have a submarine and the USS YORKTOWN........which is friggin' awesome, but a GEARING?!!? SWEET 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,359 battles

Laffey is a Sumner Class..   DD-724  The Gearing class came right after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Laffey_(DD-724)

Gearing was DD-710, because the number was assigned before the last of the Sumners had been finished.

BTW, I go to the Yorktown for the Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony.. You should try and go. And check out Laffey while you are there, it's in great shape.

Edited by OtterWolf
correction
  • Cool 1

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,084 battles

well damn, my google-foo is horrible

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,084 battles

I have been on the Yorktown and toured the other ships, but again, I was unaware of a Sumner class ship at the point

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,500 posts
7,359 battles

I highly recommend touring the Laffey.  It had an amazing war record.  There is a well done, video presentation INSIDE the gun turret that was hit by the Kamikaze.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
1 hour ago, Gary_P said:

I live in Charleston, SC.  I never knew they had a Gearing here. They have a submarine and the USS YORKTOWN........which is friggin' awesome, but a GEARING?!!? SWEET 

My Friend is a Street performer and he was just in Charleston for a week during Veterans day weekend. I looked up the Navy Museum for him but he didn't go see it.

• Cool 1

[SSBN]
Members
291 posts
4,916 battles

There is a Gearing at Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass where the Massachusetts is. It’s the Joseph P Kennedy, but it’s in its Cold War era configuration. Only two twin turrets, helicopter pad and some surface to air missiles.

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

The Laffy and I were at sea on a NATO exercise in 1964, She saw action from WW II (both Atlantic and Pacific, through Korea, and the Med and Atlantic in the Cold War. Quite a boat that Tin Can..

Sign in to follow this