You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

So I finally got Warspite...

26 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
4,334 posts
9,284 battles

Warspite finally went on sale in the tech tree for Black Friday.  I had the dubs available, have wanted her for a while, so done.

Very first game, 1,977 base XP:

ZBV6XT8.jpg

Even sank a fellow forumite in the process:

Spoiler

3IfW8JK.jpg?1

Nice way to start out a new boat!  :cap_win:

• Cool 2

Members
2,748 posts
6,245 battles

You'll like the Warspite. I bought it when I first started playing and was in over my head with it. After I got a little experience was able to make her work.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,423 battles

She's ok. I haven't played her in ages. Prefer Hood.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,678 posts
15,175 battles

Fun ship.  Like many others, completely outclassed when bottom tier...

[O_O]
Members
4,334 posts
9,284 battles
9 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

She's ok. I haven't played her in ages. Prefer Hood.

I would have preferred Hood, but she wasn't on sale.  I'll be keeping an out out for that day.

I very nearly bought Warspite well over a year ago.  I had decided to buy a ship and Warspite was it.  Then, an oddball new premium went on the market.  I was very tempted, but also really wanted Warspite.  I hemmed and hawed...stalled and debated.  Eventually I made up my mind and bought the oddball...Imperator Nikolai.

Whew!

Edited by desmo_2

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,423 battles
7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I would have preferred Hood, but she wasn't on sale.  I'll be keeping an out out for that day.

I very nearly bought Warspite well over a year ago.  I had decided to buy a ship and Warspite was it.  Then, an oddball new premium went on the market.  I was very tempted, but also really wanted Warspite.  I hemmed and hawed...stalled and debated.  Eventually I made up my mind and bought the oddball...Imperator Nikolai.

Whew!

If you haven't yet, I recommend Cesear. Fun ship.

Members
2,748 posts
6,245 battles
15 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

If you haven't yet, I recommend Cesear. Fun ship.

I agree with this one. Cesear is a fun ship. Good speed and turning radius for a BB.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,724 posts
4,523 battles
3 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

I agree with this one. Cesear is a fun ship. Good speed and turning radius for a BB.

That is an understatement....turns like a Narco Gorilla's speed boat running from the DEA.

[O_O]
Members
4,334 posts
9,284 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Your lack of secondary hits disturb me. 

I kept killing them with main guns before I could get them into secondary range!

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Even sank a fellow forumite in the process:

It wasn't me was it? nice and congrats.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles

Congrats, it took me about 40 games to 'figure out' Warspite, though that was before the turret traverse buff.

Great first game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles

After I ground through the Queen Elizabeth, and moved the captain to the King George V, I was going to sell it off since I also have the Warspite.

At top hull, it has more HP than the Warspite.  It also has longer gun range.  The engine matches the top selection for the QE.

So the Warspite HP is somewhere between top and lower QE hull.

The rifle range is set to lower selection targeting range for the QE.

And the engine is the same. (both no captains with exact same upgrades)

So for the QE, I'd need to toss on camo and a captain for a better boat.   Still on the fence about selling it off. 

If we have ranked again at T6, it would be nice to have any advantage I can get.  It'll rust in port for a few months.  No Hurry.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Your lack of secondary hits disturb me. 

Ah those secondaries, I remember the time a Bayern came in close to brawl when I was at full health and him at 3/4 thinking "I have the brawler, he doesn't. :cap_haloween:

Edited by WanderingGhost

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,523 battles

I love when that happens....I brawl him....burn him....then swing around and smack him with the 15's in the superstructure and kill him and type in "The Empire Strikes Back." 

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
445 posts
11,592 battles

The Warspite can turn rather well but its decks are soaked in diesel fuel, it will burn the entire game when playing against people who know that weakness, with the current fire mechanics being a bit over the top, my Warspite is in dry dock.  So good luck.

[2CUTE]
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
25 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

After I ground through the Queen Elizabeth, and moved the captain to the King George V, I was going to sell it off since I also have the Warspite.

At top hull, it has more HP than the Warspite.  It also has longer gun range.  The engine matches the top selection for the QE.

So the Warspite HP is somewhere between top and lower QE hull.

The rifle range is set to lower selection targeting range for the QE.

And the engine is the same. (both no captains with exact same upgrades)

So for the QE, I'd need to toss on camo and a captain for a better boat.   Still on the fence about selling it off. 

If we have ranked again at T6, it would be nice to have any advantage I can get.  It'll rust in port for a few months.  No Hurry.

Most importantly, the Warspite has "Traditional" AP meaning it is not the short fuse stuff QE uses, she has more regular AP, and dat 2.0 sigma for ultimate colonization. 
Warspite loses in the AA department but has the remnants of her WWI-era secondary battery, which makes her a much meaner trick up close compared to QE. 
I've had Warspite since CBT and she is my #1 favorite UK warship in game. (we all know which one I'd like to see in the game next right? Right WG? please?)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
1 hour ago, HooplaJones said:

The Warspite can turn rather well but its decks are soaked in diesel fuel, it will burn the entire game when playing against people who know that weakness, with the current fire mechanics being a bit over the top, my Warspite is in dry dock.  So good luck.

You're doing it wrong.

With Jack Dunkirk, I think my repair party reload is down to 48 seconds.  Fire doesn't stand a chance on Warspite, unless I want it to.  I just use some burn time to farm Dreadnoughts.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

As a n00b, I was looking for a premium ship that: a.) wasn't higher than the tier I've ground via the tech tree; b.) a nation for which I did not have a premium ship. The V and VI cruisers seemed to have pretty high skill ceilings, so I went ahead and got the Warspite. I should note, however, that I probably would not have without that gun traverse buff. That was a big selling point, tbh.

Naturally, first three games were all tier VIII matches (because lol of course they were), but managed to finish top three each time. :Smile_glasses:  The AP rounds are just so very, very good compared to other Brits. She makes decent bank, especially with some income flags, and dat turning radius!! Added the steering upgrade module thingy (still learning the terms, sorry) and she dodges torps like a boss. 

Only five games in her, but haven't lost yet. (Annnnnd now I have just guaranteed myself five straight losses. :Smile_teethhappy:  )

Very happy with the purchase so far.

Members
2,274 posts
7,347 battles

I bought Warspite too, and now i regreat that i didnt bought this ship before, its such a good ship. Those guns are sooooooo good. 

[CUTER]
8,842 posts
7,259 battles

Enjoy! She's a fun ship, sometimes even when uptiered, depending on how much your enemies ignore you!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles
5 hours ago, Battlecruiser_RenownMkI said:

Most importantly, the Warspite has "Traditional" AP meaning it is not the short fuse stuff QE uses, she has more regular AP, and dat 2.0 sigma for ultimate colonization. 
Warspite loses in the AA department but has the remnants of her WWI-era secondary battery, which makes her a much meaner trick up close compared to QE. 
I've had Warspite since CBT and she is my #1 favorite UK warship in game. (we all know which one I'd like to see in the game next right? Right WG? please?)

I usually don't waste my time, but these are the numbers I'm looking at, and I'm wondering where you are finding your info.

Where is this information you speak of published, verified, and maintained?

Warspite_QE_guns.jpg

[2CUTE]
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
16 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

I usually don't waste my time, but these are the numbers I'm looking at, and I'm wondering where you are finding your info.

Where is this information you speak of published, verified, and maintained?

Warspite_QE_guns.jpg

The picture you posted doesn't include any of the information that is relevant to what I said. 

LittleWhiteMouse, in her write-up of Hood (the second RN Battleship introduced into the game and I'm assuming a testbed for RN BB Mechanics, save for the .25% HE pen) discussed these properties.
Hood, QE, and Warspite share the same main gun battery, since the BL15 MkI gun was so widespread

Spoiler
Hood shells auto-ricochet at 67.5º instead of 60º like Warspite.
With the notable exception of Hood, all Battleship shells that do not overmatch the thickness of armour will auto-ricochet if they strike a shell angled less than 30º to the horizontal regardless of the relative penetration power of a given shell.  This value is common in most warships in the game with a few notable exceptions -- the most common being the high tier American Heavy Cruisers.  Hood's shells will not auto-ricochet unless they strike at an acute angle of less than 22.5º to the horizontal.  

This is designed to make Hood more likely to penetrate vessels taking an aggressive bow-on attack posture and to ensure she has fewer shells that careen off of funny angles of turret faces and the like.  Note, that this does not provide any bonus value to penetration or normalization.  An armour plate at the acute angle of 31º to the horizontal effectively doubles its relative thickness so while a shell might not ricochet from the angle of impact, it may still shatter against the relative thickness of the plate it encounters from a lack of penetration power.

Hood has faster fuse-timers at 0.015s instead of Warspite's 0.033s.
 An AP shell's fuse arms by passing through a sufficiently thick piece of steel plate or striking a structural divide between ships sections.  After a small delay, the shell detonates.  For most ships with 330mm guns and larger, this fuse delay is set at 0.033s while those of a smaller caliber have 0.01s delay.  The shortened delay timer  makes it more likely that her shells will explode inside a target -- particularly narrower sections of a ship, such as the extremities battleships or the broadside of light cruisers at close range. 

However, the fuses still only arm when they strike thick enough metal so this doesn't guarantee that they will penetrate soft skinned ships like destroyers and French cruisers.  Hood's fuses need to strike a plate 64mm thick (or a structural divide) in order to arm.  Striking at the maximum angle, Hood would need to hit a minimum 25mm steel plate in order to arm in this manner, so it's still very possible to see over penetrations from a broad range of targets.

Hood's accuracy is slightly worse than Warspite's with 1.8 sigma instead of 2.0 sigma.
 While Hood's shell grouping aren't as tight as those of Warspite, she's still a Royal Navy Battleship which brings an accuracy perk. These vessels have some of the tightest horizontal and vertical dispersion in among the current dreadnoughts. Due to the lower shell velocity of her 381mm guns, the overall dispersion area per shot is comparably less than that to any other nation.  This does mean that you can drop some rather accurate shells on unsuspecting targets. Aim well and pick your targets right and Hood can still perform.

EDIT: it should be noted that QE also has 1.8 Sigma on her main battery.