You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_HELLDOG_

Deep Water Fishies

24 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Members
90 posts
1,973 battles

What was your first experience against/using deep water torpedoes and what are your thoughts? 

Had mine this week in my Montana, about 2 seconds warning before they hit even with my DD and CA support.  They were apparently outside the detection range of them.  All I can say is holy friggin hell those things are a pain in the a#$.  Not complaining by any means though, all we can do is adapt.  How is your play-style going to change after the update???

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,104 posts
10,087 battles

I have a feeling my first exp. with deep water torps will be this Wednesday in clan wars.  I know there are players with truckloads of free xp to instantly get tier ten.   I can hear it now....... "dude, I didn't see them!"

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,037 battles

First time I saw them was in my Cleveland.  Literally popped up right next to my ship.  

Yeah, I got sunk pretty hard.  

[WOLF8]
Members
90 posts
1,973 battles

I think we are going to see hundreds of posts and comments after tomorrow about how those torps need to be stripped form the game.  I really don't mind them even though they took most of my HP out of the game kind of early.   I'm one of those infamous BB mains but I don't hang back and snipe so I don't want to hear it :cap_book:.  I like getting close to the caps and taking advantage of people while taking damage. Plenty of "Surprise Muthaf&^^%" moments.... The smoke change made me adapt a little and not push so far near the caps and I'm worried this may do the same to a lot of BB players.  We will have to see.....  

[WOLF8]
Members
90 posts
1,973 battles
4 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

As a DD main, I can’t wait to fight DDs who can’t torp me....

I can definitely see plenty of DD players purposely hunting down Pan Asia for that reason alone.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
378 posts
5,577 battles
7 minutes ago, Helldog318 said:

I can definitely see plenty of DD players purposely hunting down Pan Asia for that reason alone.  :Smile_teethhappy:

I see a future where I'm firing torpedoes into smoke a lot.

[WOLF8]
Members
90 posts
1,973 battles
5 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I see a future where I'm firing torpedoes into smoke a lot.

True!  Do you think the majority will take smoke or radar?

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,847 battles

Think a Shim can gun down a Pan Asia?

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
58 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

Think a Shim can gun down a Pan Asia?

No it wont. If you look at HALF thier ships they have very good guns... your not going to beat a PA DD in a ijn DD in nothing other then akizuki

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

Can't wait to take my present DDs "up close and personal" with the new line 

Well good luck with that. I sure hope your not bringing out a tier 7 cuz your a$$ is going to get kicked by it

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles
57 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Well good luck with that. I sure hope your not bringing out a tier 7 cuz your a$$ is going to get kicked by it

Will see, think radar equipped ships like Atlanta and Belfast at tier 7 will do just fine against the PA DDs.  The Indianapolis is a terrible DD hunter anyway, that will not change.  Fiji very dangerous... think tier 7 cruisers still have some great DD hunters

Edited by Panzer1113

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles
58 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Take that bet, Bly, Leningrad, Sims, along with Tech tree DD are great hunters

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles

lmbo

22 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Take that bet, Bly, Leningrad, Sims, along with Tech tree DD are great hunters

Have you even looked at the PA DD's that JKN has 360degree guns and also have perma smoke so literally

if there isnt a radar boat around he could sit in smoke for 5-6min straight i think

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles
1 hour ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

lmbo

Have you even looked at the PA DD's that JKN has 360degree guns and also have perma smoke so literally

if there isnt a radar boat around he could sit in smoke for 5-6min straight i think

My thought is to charge the smoke, get in close and use torps when you can.  I think one of the new priorities for non PA DDs will be to hunt the PA DDs early to avoid them flanking a formation and delivering gut-punch torps into the BBs or a CV.  

[DOG]
Members
378 posts
5,577 battles
6 hours ago, Helldog318 said:

True!  Do you think the majority will take smoke or radar?

I'm thinking smoke.  It's short-lived, but they can lather, rinse, repeat a lot. I can't find it right now, but I seem to recall reading the radar doesn't stay on very long.  Still useful.  But radar doesn't detect torpedoes like hydro does, and torpedoes may be one of those things the Pan Asian DD players get paranoid about, since they can't return the favor against other DDs.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,521 posts
24,610 battles
2 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

My thought is to charge the smoke, get in close and use torps when you can.  I think one of the new priorities for non PA DDs will be to hunt the PA DDs early to avoid them flanking a formation and delivering gut-punch torps into the BBs or a CV.  

German DDs with hydro just got even more useful...

• Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
16 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Charge smoke so they can radar you wow... wow... might need to go back to the drawing board to out think of that plan

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles
48 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Charge smoke so they can radar you wow... wow... might need to go back to the drawing board to out think of that plan

Think it is smoke or radar - unless someone is smoking for you and radar not until tier 8

Edited by Panzer1113

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
2 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Think it is smoke or radar - unless someone is smoking for you and radar not until tier 8

Oh dear.... that doesnt mean, A: kther ships WILL radar you. B: they will detect you defore you detect them. C: your rushing closer to cruisers but go ahead and suscide pal makes it easier for the enemy

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles
1 minute ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Oh dear.... that doesnt mean, A: kther ships WILL radar you. B: they will detect you defore you detect them. C: your rushing closer to cruisers but go ahead and suscide pal makes it easier for the enemy

Worked fine this morning - took my Clemson out on an early cruise, of course the random had mostly PA DDs, couple of non PA dds, and a CV - couple of Phra smoked up head, they smoked in front of an island, went around the island, hit boost, found them, torpedoed one, the other took off, hit him a couple of times and then a teammate finished him off - will be interesting to see how many DD heavy games there will be for awhile.