You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Finnkax

NET NEUTRALITY

187 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
Members
712 posts
7,925 battles

Pretty horror story in the worst case. In the USa? ....really???

Spacemonkey Jangles point of view(fallout) ... or is it saltminer jingles?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2017/11/26/when-the-fcc-kills-net-neutrality-heres-what-your-internet-will-look-like/#6a3fdb784c68

• Cool 3

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

Microtransactions for the internet, bro.

Now the internet can feel like Electronic Arts runs it too!

• Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

This is why the Internet needs to be regulated like a public utility. In this day and age, the person without access to the Internet is not able to live a "normal" life—and that isn't an exaggeration, either. For good or ill, the internet is a part of life, and it needs to be kept to a level playing field.

I remember the Netflix debacle because I've had their streaming service. And when Time Warner became Spectrum, they ate my local cable provider, Bright House.

[HIT]
Members
67 posts
5,787 battles

Apparently Jingles didn't think his Warships commentary had enough disinformation so he goes ahead and lays this turd.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles

Feel free to come to this locked thread where I already spent much time yesterday giving my opinion of this latest round of shitheaddery. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

What's really scary is that many of the core backbone providers of the internet (the ISPs of the ISPs) are also based in the U.S. If Net Neutrality falls, they could decide what does or does not go through their backbones. Which means the whole rest of the world might be proper f**ked too. I'm Canadian and net neutrality here is pretty sacred. Mind you, we're pretty good here at not being scammed into believing that what's good for the ultra-wealthy is necessarily good for the masses. You folks down south have way too many people who will defend special interest groups to the death, even while their kids starve.

But yeah, sorry, politics. It's just hard not to say anything when something this *obviously* critical is in danger of falling apart. Mind you, even with the several millions in angry comments on the FCC site in the last few months, it' still happening cause f**k you that's why.

• Cool 4

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles

Yes the ISPs COULD throttle internet traffic, but why would they?

Trump COULD launch all the nukes at Russia, but why would he?

They didn't do it before NN. Hell, the FCC couldn't find any major instances of actual problems that would be covered by NN.

Google, Facebook, and company are in favor of NN because they are either not subject to it or profit from it. Google has their own global data distribution network. They aren't subject to NN, their smaller competitors are.

The solution is to breed more competition into the market and NN as it exists does absolutely nothing towards that.

People are entrusting the government to regulate the internet properly when they can't even properly regulate the gas cans you fill your lawn mower with. Gas cans in the US didn't always suck.

So the ISPs won't be able to discriminate against traffic with NN. I'm sure you will be singing the praises of NN when everyone in your local loop is downloading the next 50gb steam game and you can't get a decent ping for WoWS.

Except, as written, the ISPs CAN discriminate against traffic all they want if they can convince a bureaucrat that it is for "network management purposes".

To sum it up; net neutrality is government getting their hands on another industry. Everything gets bogged down in regulation, no privacy, and monopolies get set up because bigger companies can buy their way out of regulation and their competition get dragged under. The internet no longer serve you, they milk you while they go drinking with our representatives in DC.

• Cool 12

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,270 battles
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

They didn't do it before NN. Hell, the FCC couldn't find any major instances of actual problems that would be covered by NN.

Google, Facebook, and company are in favor of NN because they are either not subject to it or profit from it. Google has their own global data distribution network. They aren't subject to NN, their smaller competitors are.

The solution is to breed more competition into the market and NN as it exists does absolutely nothing towards that.

People are entrusting the government to regulate the internet properly when they can't even properly regulate the gas cans you fill your lawn mower with. Gas cans in the US didn't always suck.

So the ISPs won't be able to discriminate against traffic with NN. I'm sure you will be singing the praises of NN when everyone in your local loop is downloading the next 50gb steam game and you can't get a decent ping for WoWS.

Except, as written, the ISPs CAN discriminate against traffic all they want if they can convince a bureaucrat that it is for "network management purposes".

To sum it up; net neutrality is government getting their hands on another industry. Everything gets bogged down in regulation, no privacy, and monopolies get set up because bigger companies can buy their way out of regulation and their competition get dragged under. The internet no longer serve you, they milk you while they go drinking with our representatives in DC.

De jure  you are mostly correct IMHO, but ge facto what is going to happen is Comcast is going to charge you to have a low ping rather than ensure you get the same connection as you neighbor

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,112 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Yeah, because Joe down the street can just start up his own ISP company. NN doesn't put the internet in the government's hands.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles
1 minute ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

De jure  you are mostly correct IMHO, but ge facto what is going to happen is Comcast is going to charge you to have a low ping rather than ensure you get the same connection as you neighbor

One thing that WOULD help is requiring the leasing of last mile infrastructure to competitors. Such a requirement was EXPLICITLY REJECTED when NN was originally being drawn up. Why? Because Comcast and the big ISPs didn't want it.

The regulatory capture has already happened. The big corps will buy their way out of the regs and the smaller competitors won;t be able to afford the compliance costs.

• Cool 4

Members
797 posts
1 hour ago, HQ_21 said:

Apparently Jingles didn't think his Warships commentary had enough disinformation so he goes ahead and lays this turd.

No disinformation at all about NN. My Brother works for Spectrum and says that Spectrum already has plans to raise fees and limit internet access to some sites if NN is removed. Most internet providers in the US are greedy as all get out and i promise you they are foaming at the mouth praying NN goes away and if it does the money grab will begin. 

Edited by SteelClaw
  • Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles
3 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Yeah, because Joe down the street can just start up his own ISP company. NN doesn't put the internet in the government's hands.

That happens a lot more than you would think. There are lots of small local ISPs in many parts of the country.

If the government has no big control over the internet with NN, then why the fuss about it going away?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles
1 minute ago, SteelClaw said:

No disinformation at all about NN. My Brother works for Spectrum and says that Spectrum already has plans to raise fees and limit internet access to some sites if NN is removed. Most internet providers in the US are greedy as all get out and i promise you they are foaming at the mouth praying NN goes away and if it does the money grab will begin. 

So ISPs are greedy, but bureaucrats in government are angels. Suuuuure.

My Uncle works for Nasa and says that we didn't land on the moon.

Members
797 posts
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

So ISPs are greedy, but bureaucrats in government are angels. Suuuuure.

My Uncle works for Nasa and says that we didn't land on the moon.

Whatever, you will end up paying more just like the rest of us... well not me cuz i get a deal do to my brother working there..

Edited by SteelClaw

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

That happens a lot more than you would think. There are lots of small local ISPs in many parts of the country.

If the government has no big control over the internet with NN, then why the fuss about it going away?

Most of those small local ISPs are just buying service from the big companies and building their own infrastructure to get it to knew clients. But effectively it's still part of the monopoly. 

[FORM]
Members
253 posts
4,806 battles

Do not think for one minute if Net Neutrality gets removed that gaming companies with their server in the USA and having to use one of the these ISP are safe from being throttled if they do not pay a fee. 

Edited by Scrapyard_
  • Cool 1

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
20 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

One thing that WOULD help is requiring the leasing of last mile infrastructure to competitors.

So you guys don't have any choice in ISPs down there? Like, whoever put in the infrastructure, that's who you get?

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,612 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

So you guys don't have any choice in ISPs down there? Like, whoever put in the infrastructure, that's who you get?

Pretty much.  For some reason anti-trust litigation doesn't seem to apply to internet companies.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,423 battles
47 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Money talks and bull**** walks. If the ISP can get away with it, they WILL. Only been lobbying for this for how long? Monoply laws are being bypassed in the USA by barely skirting the law.

This goes through, it WILL be ugly.

• Cool 3

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
1 minute ago, IronWolfV said:

Money talks and bull**** walks. If the ISP can get away with it, they WILL. Only been lobbying for this for how long? Monoply laws are being bypassed in the USA by barely skirting the law.

This goes through, it WILL be ugly.

Yep, and I'm getting ready to make popcorn for all the court battles being prepared to fight it if it does.

Members
227 posts
4,386 battles

Let's not throw every ISP under the bus,.  Lots of ISP's support net neutrality (like Sonic).  They're just not called Comcast Verizon or AT&T.  Net neutrality favors ISP's that aren't already functional monopolies.

[HIT]
Members
67 posts
5,787 battles

A lot of you seem to be only about 8 years old and think NN has always been with us and that the internets will fall apart without it.

• Cool 1