Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fuyukaze

IJN DD Asagumo wreck potentially identified.

9 comments in this topic

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

In addition to my previous thread on the Yamashiro being found, this latest post came in about 3 hours ago. 

Quoted from RV Petrel FB

This Asashio Class destroyer was the southernmost wreck we found in Surigao Strait leading us to believe it was the IJN Asagumo. It is upright but is showing the signs of being in fairly shallow water for the last 70+ years.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Fuyukaze

Alpha Tester
202 posts
4,752 battles

What I am saying is, now that its location has been publicized, it will be completely gone in 12 months.

No sense of history will be respected, so sense of respect for the dead that lay with that wreck, just a bunch of people desparate to feed their oversized families and then it will be gone forever.

I will not apologize for my above statement, in all likelyhood I am %100 correct, and therefor feel no need for contrition.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,612 posts
8,804 battles

If your telling the truth many more ships wouldn’t be around still it all depends on the location of the wreaks. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

She was the one who used the meatshield tactic by trying to hide behind Fuso's severed, but still floating, stern section. :Smile-_tongue:

That is, if you subscribe to the theory that Fuso sank in two pieces rather than one. That's why the discovery of Fuso's wreck(s) will be such a big deal.

I'm glad they found Asagumo. Any wreck find is a good one in my book.

[JFSOC]
Members
916 posts
2,651 battles

It's really too bad Yamashiro turned turtle.  Being upright we could see what sort of pounding she really took in her last battle.  I'm betting it wouldn't be pretty.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,700 posts
10,050 battles
7 hours ago, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

What I am saying is, now that its location has been publicized, it will be completely gone in 12 months.

I would expect that unlike the wrecks of the Exeter, De Ruyter, Pope etc. in the Java Sea that these might be fairly safe.

The Java Sea wrecks are significantly shallower - Exeter was in 60m, Java about 70m, Perth/Houston <40m.

The Asagumo and Yamashiro are in ~200m, which is beyond normal scuba range (and the previous 'salvage' methodology apparently used divers with explosives to break up the wrecks) and RV Petrel noted 4kts of current which is a huge amount and complicates things even more.

I'd suspect that these are relatively safe as they're in a far harder place to get at.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
19 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

It's really too bad Yamashiro turned turtle.  Being upright we could see what sort of pounding she really took in her last battle.  I'm betting it wouldn't be pretty.

Aw cmon, with a pagoda like hers, was there ever really any hope of her being upright? :Smile_teethhappy:

I think its interesting that her bow folded back over her belly. We know she capsized and sank stern first and we also know that the second torpedo that hit her hit her extreme forward bow. I'm guessing her weakened bow snapped upwards from the force of the water rushing by as she sank but her double-bottom/keel held on by a thread and that's why her bow is folded over her belly. That's just a guess though.

[JFSOC]
Members
916 posts
2,651 battles

True...  When Jap BB's sail off to glory, they almost always add a story..." :Smile_teethhappy:

The stern is missing probably because the aft magazines detonated.  An explosion was noted occurring by US crews just before the Yamashiro sank.  I'd bet the bow snapped right about where the forward armored bulkhead is, that being the most likely weak point between the bow and the rest of the hull.  The bow flexed, and the armored raft body didn't.

Sign in to follow this