You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Let's Talk Karma

41 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,872 battles

Yes, we all know.  Karma doesn't do anything.  But I like it to a courtesy statement.  It's like "thank you"...or "please".  Or, in the case of WOWS, a "Way to go"...or "good game"..or "you did good".  Those phrases don't make a player better.  They don't change the score.  They don't affect the game or players in any way in a technical sense.  But just like real life, it's a way to say something nice about someone else.  Especially when they did good!!

Here's how I use Karma.  Take this game here:

Spoiler

karma1.thumb.jpg.d987cb234f4ee71ea9c4393dd41cdf07.jpg

Note there is a T7 player who topped out in a T8 match.  He gets an "atta boy".  A karma..."plays well".  Even if he didn't top out, if I played a good round, and a lower tier tops me...I'll often give them a "plays well" even if they didn't top out.  In this instance he did both...even more reason to say "well done".

Spoiler

karma2.thumb.jpg.8faa2f156e03b0490b5ddb22aa4c5c25.jpg

Also note this T6 player.  Bottom tier...and did better than most of the T8 players.  He gets an "atta boy" too.

Spoiler

karma3.thumb.jpg.2ddc8665381276238d2b1ac13a0534d4.jpg

So there you have it.  Using Karma to tell folks they did good.  "Good game".

• Cool 14

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

I normally use karma sparingly and only tip those who are either good players or communicators, with more focus on the latter because i view teamwork/teamplay with more respect.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,203 battles

I try to hand out every karma point, - or + if I play enough battles.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,179 battles

I  get  7 or  so games in when I do play and allways use up all my Comps on people who did gud even if we lost

Members
612 posts
7,257 battles

My karma decreases so fast when I insta-kill or devastate someone from the opposing team when I use Graf Zep.
Worse case scenario, getting reported for killing DDs with secondaries on an Aircraft Carrier (they never learn)

Also, I just made your karma to 1000. ( ^^)b

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

The only karma in this game is the good karma in real life that comes from someone who has the self respect to put forth a solid effort and focus on personal development in all that they do. And likewise the bad karma in real life that comes to those who set the bar so pathetically low for themselves and are content sitting in that gutter. That level of complacency spills out into their life outside of the game whether they admit it or not. 

We can't directly punish players for lowering the quality of play by consistently sabotaging matches selfishly through failing to fulfill their 1/12 of their responsibility, but the universe is punishing them and that's good enough for me. 

The more a person practices the attitude of being better than their previous self, even in games, the more automatic that mindset permeates outside the game. It's actually one of the main purposes games were invented dating back to early man. 

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,409 posts
25,237 battles

I dont have enough positive karma to give out. I would like more, especially for my own team.

[_AFW_]
Members
974 posts
7,021 battles

The main problem with Karma is the enemy team being mad that you beat them can hand out bad Karma. Karma +/- should only be able to be handed out by your team. 

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,626 posts
9,879 battles

I am a big user of the Karma system.  Generally, I give out far more positive karma than negative, and I'd wish the positive limit was 50 per cent more than the negative.  

I generally give out positive karma for: 

• Players on my team who were bottom tier but topped the team's ladder, whether win or loss (as @soshi_sona posted above); 
  • Players on my team who topped the team's ladder and had a big jump to the next best player (like 400 XP or more); 
  • Players who didnt do well on the scoreboard, but did their job really well - typically when they were massively outnumbered on the weak flank and held off the enemy for ages. 
    • I really like giving pos rep for this, but I dont notice it as often as I would like. 
  • Players who go out of their way to help me out - particularly when not asked but have read the flow of battle really well. 
    • For instance, DDs who smoke their team; or
    • Carriers who go spot enemy dds, or spectacularly nailed a major threat, or killed a bunch of attack planes who were about to nail me. 
  • Players who, in chat, genuinely help someone with questions in the game.  

I generally give out negative karma for: 

• Top tier players on my team who are bottom of the team ladder and absolutely fail (as in, 300XP or less) for "plays poorly"; because, if not them, then who?
    • This does not apply if they are detonated, as aint nobody got time for that. 
  • Players who are fairly abusive or toxic in chat, on either team. 
  • Deliberate (as opposed to accidental) teamkillers, on either team.  Though I've found these are pretty rare. 

I find it is a system that works pretty well. At least, for me.  

Edited by UltimateNewbie
Added Detonation reference.
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

I dont have enough positive karma to give out. I would like more, especially for my own team.

The higher your karma, the more you are given to hand out. Not sure where it breaks but my karma is like 250 and I can hand out 11 points a day instead of 7 points.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Yes, we all know.  Karma doesn't do anything.  But I like it to a courtesy statement.  It's like "thank you"...or "please".  Or, in the case of WOWS, a "Way to go"...or "good game"..or "you did good".  Those phrases don't make a player better.  They don't change the score.  They don't affect the game or players in any way in a technical sense.  But just like real life, it's a way to say something nice about someone else.  Especially when they did good!!

Yep, I give out in-game Karma the same way.  If our top player(s) do very well, or a lower tier player places very respectably, the get complimented.  I have also complimented opponents if they carried their team or were good sports in chat.

I give negative Karma for AFK's, especially if their turrets have turned to indicate they loaded in.  I give negative Karma for people who throw fits and/or get offensive in chat.

1 hour ago, Minah_Bang said:

Where is Karma listed/shown at?

In the top left corner of you port screen, next to the 'settings' icon...left click your name.  Left click your name again in the drop down menu that appears to go to your 'service record.'  Your Karma is the little white number to the right of your name:

Bk1g6n7.jpg

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

I generally only give negative karma.  The only time I feel like breaking out the karma system is against afk ships and misbehaving captains in chat.  I largely don't see the point of the system when I'm just a blackhole of karma.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,483 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Karma doesn't do anything

Yes it does. It allows me to let players know that somebody enjoyed them when they receive the +1 notification. It also allows me to let someone know that somebody thinks they are a [edited][edited].

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,946 battles

Karma, you really have to actually impress me. Like I see you doing well, mopping up the other team or some crazy skill's but mostly, and by mostly I mean rarely because I rarely encounter it, actually trying to HELP new players or ones that even with lots of battles and time don't know everything as opposed to the "uninstall scrub" nonsense and worse I see. I ignore the scoreboard because sometimes people get put in a crap scenario or have a bad game. I've been that less than 300 XP UltimateNewbie mentions, and not always the fault of my own. I've been spawned lone BB on one side and even though I'm at full speed trying to join my team, DD spots me and 6 ships declare open season on me that were spawned on that side. Or I go to take a cap 5 ships behind me,an enemy gets spotted, and next thing I know 2 cruisers and 3 BB's behind me run from a DD and 2 cruisers and now it's 1 on 3 and how much can I do before they sink me. And sometimes, that answer isn't much if they are on point. Sure, maybe I should have glanced back at the minimap sooner, then again, I don't think 5 ships should run from 1-3 first thing they are spotted.

That said, the "uninstall" and really toxic or truly bad players, they get negative karma. And I'm not talking the guy you look up with 40% winrate and 10k damage average, I'm talking the guy in a Scharnhorst, that is top tier BB with the only couple 8's being cruisers, on Shards, that after C has been capped a good while, goes well outside C (spawning on the side C is to the right) and has done NOTHING in battle, demanding that the rest of us take B against BB's and all in cruisers that are already badly damaged because fearless leader says about how his stats are so good, he's winning the match for us, blah, blah, blah, and we end up doing all the real work, while he finally comes out of hiding when everything is mostly dead to nab the kills after were all basically sunk and have a lead. I know my stats are nothing special, you can't see on the graph the point I was around 51%, the slide below 50%, the drag back out of it, and the slide I've only been able to slow since that. I know I have some matches where I get carried, There are some matches I actually carry, and much as it can suck, I don't mind carrying a player that isn't doing that well and is still maybe learning or just not kinda good, admittedly, it gets irritating when you basically have to carry whole teams of them, but still, we can't all be gods at this game. But someone like that, who demands the team do all the work so he can pad his win%, maybe trying to get a solo warrior off of us getting a big enough lead for him to hide and survive. No way in hell am I tolerating carrying THAT.

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow_NA said:

The main problem with Karma is the enemy team being mad that you beat them can hand out bad Karma. Karma +/- should only be able to be handed out by your team. 

Several times I've given positive karma ("Worthy Adversary" I think it says) to enemy players who played their ships well. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,409 posts
25,237 battles
17 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

The higher your karma, the more you are given to hand out. Not sure where it breaks but my karma is like 250 and I can hand out 11 points a day instead of 7 points.

Oh really? I only get 8. I didn't know that. I will have to be less salty, then.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,648 posts
8,016 battles

Personally I only compliment people when I know they impacted the game / tried to have an impact on the game. A Shimakaze who went into cap, spots but died from a random torps and end up with low xp  deserve a more credits than the NO who spammed HE at BB without even trying to fight DD near a cap / radar and ended up top of the team. Yes he was bottom tier and he managed to score well but his contribution to the team isn't that great actually. Last player i complimented was an Iowa who had balls to push with my Ibuki and we both capped C and B on Okinanawa while our team went full A and died. 

This game is really special though. In every other game I would spend my report on ennemi for X reason but in WOW, most of my report goes for my team and most of my compliment goes for the ennemi team.  Sometime I wish we could just record the minimap and show how much miles your team sail from the beginning to the end. It would be hilarious

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
750 posts
6,828 battles

Too many butt hurt enemy captains spam negative karma when they get killed. It makes karma pointless.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,320 battles

I like getting compliments and it encourages me to keep my mouth shut sometimes when I wanna lash out or blame someone else.

[DIRTY]
Members
3 posts
13,237 battles

I played a co-op this morning in my Emerald. Did 80k damage, sank 4 ships and took top spot in xp. I didnt accidently shoot any team members and all my kills were 100 to 70% all my doing. Someone on my team sent a negative report on me and reduced my karma. What a joke.

• Cool 1

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,136 battles

Afks get an instant negative karma strike. I don't care what your excuse is. I would fully agree that I deserve the same for such circumstance. 

Fail division where it effects the match significantly gets an instant negative karma for all players in the division. Eg. Atago divisions with TWO scharnhortsts and gets put into a tier 10 match. 2 scharns against a Montana and a Yamato is a loss. Yes this happened. 

Clans need to know who you are before they recruit you. Your karma score reflects that. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles

I give a compliment to any good suport DD.

I give a report to any bad/terrible DD.

So far i'm with 430~ of karma :P

• Cool 1

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,064 posts
8,834 battles

Probably had a few Karma hits for being the first one to die in a match 2:00 mins in, but only to be 5th in Exp for the whole team.  Hate that.