You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Tanman

Radar through islands is stupid

242 comments in this topic

[BIER]
Members
17 posts
3,411 battles

I'm tired of getting sunk in my DD because there is a cruiser on the other side of an island with radar going. 

Radar does not go through land and Wargames does not seem to understand this,

Radar through island is stupid! 

• Cool 6

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

yes. in a game with health bars, instant repairs, speed boosts, cloaking devices, and capture points.. it's the radar that throws it over the edge into unrealistic.

• Cool 17

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,082 battles

What midnight said, there is so much about this game that is horribly messed up historically. You want radar to be fixed? tell them how to do so within the coding they have now without replacing the current spotting system. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,929 posts
6,433 battles
23 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

I'm tired of getting sunk in my DD because there is a cruiser on the other side of an island with radar going. 

A1UpeFf.gif

• Cool 2

Members
504 posts
2,827 battles
27 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

So are DD with unlimited torpedoes and reload mods letting them shat out walls of damage. Its a game. Give and take.

• Cool 5

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,622 battles

So, what new thing did you want to tell us with this post that wasn't mentioned in all those others before?

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
21 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

yes. in a game with health bars, instant repairs, speed boosts, cloaking devices, and capture points.. it's the radar that throws it over the edge into unrealistic.

Because some things are acceptable in a game, while other things simply do not pass the laugh test.

That said, I understand why (apparently) radar works as it does, and don't get all wound up about it any more.  It's still stupid as can be, but I suspect that we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
3 minutes ago, ksix said:

So are DD with unlimited torpedoes and reload mods letting them shat out walls of damage. Its a game. Give and take.

Bad comparison.

DD's have unlimited torpedoes because any DD that uses torps would be useless otherwise.  OTOH, radar is how it is because of limitations in the game engine, supposedly.  Apples and oranges.

[90THC]
Members
444 posts
5,383 battles

because cruisers need to be marginalized even more.

From what im aware its a coding issue.

Honestly i view full AP BB pens on DDs as a much larger issue than radar...

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

They've already said that they'll be fixing it in 2018, but first they have to completely re-code the spotting mechanic. As it currently exists, hydro and radar simply increase the assured acquisition range (with no check for line of sight). Assured acquisition also works thru islands, because *gasp* it too does not check for line of sight. 

Once they redo the spotting mechanic, then radar will no longer work thru islands. They also said that before they can do any major CV revamp, they need to complete the spotting/radar/hydro/acquisition recode. 

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
22 minutes ago, ksix said:

BBs get unlimited reloads as well, shall we limit those? How about fuel, shall we put a limit on how far a ship can travel the map edge before running out of fuel? And as for those walls of damage - they are very easy to dodge. The current hit average for torpedos is 6%, meaning that a DD has to fire (on average) 20+ to get ONE hit. Most torps in game right now give something like 8 seconds of warning before they hit, more than enough time to dodge out of the way in most ships (and that's assuming you didn't change course every 20 seconds which pretty much make you immune to any torps at all).

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

Adapt and overcome and show that you're smarter than a stupid radar.

It isn't the DD that really suffers from sonar/radar on the other side of an island anyway, it's that stationary BB or cruiser trying to sneak around.

[BIAS]
Alpha Tester
314 posts
9,328 battles
6 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

They've already said that they'll be fixing it in 2018, but first they have to completely re-code the spotting mechanic. As it currently exists, hydro and radar simply increase the assured acquisition range (with no check for line of sight). Assured acquisition also works thru islands, because *gasp* it too does not check for line of sight. 

Once they redo the spotting mechanic, then radar will no longer work thru islands. They also said that before they can do any major CV revamp, they need to complete the spotting/radar/hydro/acquisition recode. 

[citation needed]

Unless they have just recently changed it, Wargaming's position has pretty consistently been that it's not an issue and certainly not a big enough issue for them to redo the whole spotting mechanics to change it.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,410 battles
23 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

WG never said they will redo Hydro/Radar/Assured Acquisition changes. Only CV plane spotting changes as part of their planned CV overhaul, in an attempt to reduce some of the spotting potential of CV planes as opposed to more situational/limited forms of spotting (the aforementioned trio + catapult fighters/scouts).

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,082 battles
32 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

BBs get unlimited reloads as well, shall we limit those? How about fuel, shall we put a limit on how far a ship can travel the map edge before running out of fuel? And as for those walls of damage - they are very easy to dodge. The current hit average for torpedos is 6%, meaning that a DD has to fire (on average) 20+ to get ONE hit. Most torps in game right now give something like 8 seconds of warning before they hit, more than enough time to dodge out of the way in most ships (and that's assuming you didn't change course every 20 seconds which pretty much make you immune to any torps at all).

Technically no they don't, the magazine of a battleship's guns is MORE than enough to hold all the shells that is fired in a single match. As for fuel invalid especially considering even the colorado for example could cruise 15000 km, the aoba class cruiser had much the same range. 

Edit: looking up the north carolina class battleships their magazines could hold roughly 300-400 shells EACH, I very rarely fire more than 100 as a battleship so I wouldn't even empty ONE of the magazines. 

• Cool 2

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

5a1cfce6d6a66_OhGeez.gif.470d18701570eb2d91727fdc3c0bdad1.gif

Edited by ReddNekk

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

That was no cruiser, that was my Missouri. I popped the radar so the guys that had line of sight could see you, and is precisely why I went that close to that Island. Working as it should. You see, I didn't want you to torp me.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,983 posts
1 hour ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

No Battleship worth it's steel is going to exhaust it's ammunition supply during a 20 minute engagement.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,070 posts
7,515 battles

Well, you can either have unrealistic short-ranged radar that can see through islands for a brief time, or you can have realistic radar that's active permanently and spots you everywhere on the map except behind islands.

• Cool 3

[OCFLT]
Members
63 posts
7,174 battles

You won't be playing knowing all those:

1. In-game ships are 2x up-sized
  2. Torpedos travel 2x as fast as historically
  3. Gun dispersion ellipse is 90 degrees turned compared to real
  4. You will spot any DD behind island less than 2km away
  5. CV planes do 10x DPS on a 'strafe'