Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Straits...again!

7 comments in this topic

Members
4,465 posts
6,203 battles

Just happened again.  2 caps on Straits and this time 2 of ships on my team bailed and headed for the South cap.  We got killed on our cap (totally short handed damn) and they got dead before they even got to South cap and was a huge stomp by Red team. Dumb azz tactic. Why not win what is in front of you?  I posted on this yesterday. Idiotic to leave half your team short.....most of the time anyway. "O but I have won that map doing that!"  Ya.....but how often? Caps are important but how can you get em and hold em when you are short handed? Damn. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,733 posts
17,314 battles

Dmckey, this is why I keep suggesting that the devs change the caps and spawns on this map to counter this idiotic player behavior.  It stinks to be on a team with such morons.  IMO, abandoning your side and trying to run to the other side is a surefire way to lose, because you're taking your guns out of the fight for a good 3 or so minutes, during which, you're almost certain to lose the side you abandoned.

At least with the other semi-dumb tactic, i.e. DD's running for the B cap at the start, their guns aren't out of the fight and they're trying to take an objective quickly, and may end up in a fight.  I don't think that it's smart, but it's no nearly as mind-numbingly stupid as abandoning your side of the map and running down the side channel to join up with the other side.

But to top it all off, the single most stupid strat I've seen on Strait is in Standard mode when you have the ships on the side of the map with your base abandon it and run to the other side.  This strat is so incredibly stupid because you're just about guaranteed to lose within about 5 or so minutes, since the enemy ships on that side will overrun the remaining defenders and cap you out before those idiots realize it.

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

But to top it all off, the single most stupid strat I've seen on Strait is in Standard mode when you have the ships on the side of the map with your base abandon it and run to the other side.  This strat is so incredibly stupid because you're just about guaranteed to lose within about 5 or so minutes, since the enemy ships on that side will overrun the remaining defenders and cap you out before those idiots realize it.

That happens so often that I consider it to be the guaranteed outcome everytime I'm in Straits, Standard battle.

[SALVO]
Members
16,733 posts
17,314 battles
1 minute ago, ReddNekk said:

That happens so often that I consider it to be the guaranteed outcome everytime I'm in Straits, Standard battle.

I don't see that so often.  I do see players abandoning the side with the other team's base and running to help defend their own base more often.

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

At least with the other semi-dumb tactic, i.e. DD's running for the B cap at the start, their guns aren't out of the fight and they're trying to take an objective quickly, and may end up in a fight.  I don't think that it's smart, but it's no nearly as mind-numbingly stupid as abandoning your side of the map and running down the side channel to join up with the other side.

yes to everything you said - but I have to elaborate on what you said here: something that's much worse! At least they're running down the "SIDE" Channels. I see so many CL/CA go north or south via the CENTER channel. Perfectly broadside to the enemy team the entire time. Often lasting moments.

My addition is this: Cruisers that Do Not Wait for their BBs to get to the firing line but charge ahead to meet the enemy fleet and their combined focused fire. I most often see the team that wins is the team whose CL/CA stick WITH the BBs - not 5-9km ahead of them. Alas fools rush in...

This map is has simply got to have the highest rate of CL/CA deletion in the shortest amount of time out of any map in the game.

[SALVO]
Members
16,733 posts
17,314 battles
41 minutes ago, Zyu said:

yes to everything you said - but I have to elaborate on what you said here: something that's much worse! At least they're running down the "SIDE" Channels. I see so many CL/CA go north or south via the CENTER channel. Perfectly broadside to the enemy team the entire time. Often lasting moments.

My addition is this: Cruisers that Do Not Wait for their BBs to get to the firing line but charge ahead to meet the enemy fleet and their combined focused fire. I most often see the team that wins is the team whose CL/CA stick WITH the BBs - not 5-9km ahead of them. Alas fools rush in...

This map is has simply got to have the highest rate of CL/CA deletion in the shortest amount of time out of any map in the game.

I can agree with this.  The only saving grace for those cruisers is as dumb as they are for showing so much broadside, at least they're playing more aggressively (if stupidly) than those ships that run down a side channel and take their guns completely out of the fight for a while.

As for the final point, you may be correct.  But let's face it.  Part of the reason is that it's a mid tier map and people start closer to each other.  And mid tier (particularly tier 4-5) cruisers are rather squishy and particularly vulnerable to being deleted when they show too much broadside.  of course, by the same token, BB's in those tiers tend to be a bit inaccurate, so getting deleted requires the blessings of the RNG gods to land enough good shots to get the job done.

Sign in to follow this