You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
APA_204

Anyone else have grinder's disease?

27 comments in this topic

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

The second you spec out a tier ten, you start working on another line. The second you get a 19point captain you start working on another captain....no matter what it is, you start grinding out something else. Constantly playing lower point captains to outfit re purchased ships rather than playing 19 point captains in premiums....weird huh.

• Cool 3

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,203 battles

I'm probably doing it all wrong according to the experts, however, I have done lots of 'grinding'.

I simply play random battles (solo) & I pay for doubloons. I don't pay for premium nor have I bought many premium ships.

I just grind to whatever tier I want to end up at in any tech line. Only the T 10 Yamato tho I am working on getting 3-4 more T 10s.

As to Cpts - I'm grinding those guys on every ship I have - the higher pt ones are on my higher tier ships.

All in all, I have about 7 lines I am still grinding. Most of my ships are elite & all are maxed out with modules & upgrades.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i didn't buy premium time until i joined the clan.  still have most of the lines to t9/10s.   did stop few at 8s though.  and not doing CV beyond unlocking it. (and plane kill missions)

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,836 battles

I stopped grinding ship lines and started grinding tech tree captains on premium ships. So yeah, I have grinders disease. It is subtly contagious. But I now have 16 captains with 19 skill points. Every now and then I buy back a tech tree ship and run the high skill captain on it for awhile.

Have to get my Cleveland captain to 19 points next.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

No grinding for me.  I got the specific set of tier 10 ships that I wanted to get, 2 battleships, 2 cruisers, and 2 destroyers.  Had all captains at 19 skills points for a long while now.  I am only playing tier 10 ships plus handful of premiums that I particularly enjoy, like Missouri and Nelson, sometimes Kutuzov and Belfast.  No more lines grinding for me.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,048 posts
16,978 battles

Not really; no plans to go beyond where I am right now, unless something compels me to want to do so. Not even really grinding captians; Just playing whoever happens to be in a ship at the moment. Though I did recently run my IJN destroyer 19-pointer through Apple, Blueberry, and Pumpkin in order to stockpile some e-xp.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,946 posts
6,549 battles

I play ships I like.

Right now, I'm loving the Akatzuki and so it gets a few games a day (though at this rate I'm going to get to the Kagero super fast). "Technically" it's a grind though it feels more as if it's an absolute blast. I've never had a ship it's been so easy to get confederate/high calibers on.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,622 battles

Me? No. It‘s just a coincidence that I have every line beside carriers at T10. 

Members
4,441 posts
6,137 battles

There are grinders and many who find ships they love and play them and max em out. Each to their own. I have not got a new ship in like 6 months or more. Just me.  I like making what I have good and gooder. Each to their own!!!! It's a game.  Have fun.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
44 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The second you spec out a tier ten, you start working on another line. The second you get a 19point captain you start working on another captain....no matter what it is, you start grinding out something else. Constantly playing lower point captains to outfit re purchased ships rather than playing 19 point captains in premiums....weird huh.

I have 13 tier Xs, and 2 more tier 9s. Whatever disease you are referring to, I'm pretty sure in my case its chronic.

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles

Yes and no.  I grind awhile, then stop and play ships I love for a different type of grind - individual ship stats and games played.  

My current goal is 1k games in Khab & Kamikaze and at least 500 in Zao, Isokaze and Nikolai.  Lofty as those numbers may be, I've had a ton of fun in those ships with no desire to put them aside for others.

B

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

i have a different strand of the disease.

instead of grinding one line to 10, i have to be grinding at least one ship in every line at all times. i grind them all at random.

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,745 battles

I approximately have 10x T10 and like 10-15x 19 points captains. I probably gonna get at least 4x more T10 and 19 points captain next year. It's beginning to look a lot like a pile of old iPhones in my drawer. 

[REVY]
Members
6,012 posts
5,102 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

I have the opposite disease.  After the first T10 I got, I stopped caring.

Edited by Sventex

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I'm allergic to grinds - that's all I can seem to come up with. Diablo, POE, rpgs in general.. I just get bored with the unending repetition of the same keystrokes, maps/zones/missions, characters and so on. Hundreds of hours to find 1 piece of gear or to "perfect" a build or gain a few levels ~ push a higher difficulty to push a higher difficulty to...... etc ad infinitum ad nauseum. Gah. So arbitrary.

In the case of WoWS - maybe it's the bad taste from rpgs that has stuck with me for so long, I really dunno, but I find I cannot focus on one ship or line for an extended number of matches. I'm an average player at best so my time spent seems sub-efficient(ie. I won't make leaps and bounds like unicum's and speed through lines). Couple my average-ness with strings of teams peppered with players that charge 2-3x their numbers and vanish within the first 2-3 minutes or so of a match and my feeling of "low efficiency" bottoms out even further. I'm simply not good enough to alter the flow of a match and bring it back under control apparently.

The fact I don't "focus" on any given ship/line combined with average-ness and my MM rng being terrible(git gud and carry more - got it.) - it's a self perpetuation cycle of negativity where I'm never mastering a ship or a national line that has a particular flavor, method or tactic/playstyle one becomes accustomed to and learns to exploit to their advantage.

I sit and wonder how some folks have not one or two but 90+% Tier X's and multiple level 19 cpts - then I look at my own inefficiency. Logged in for hours but watching a movie or YT or reading a book - avoiding bothering to grind because I can barely stomach grinding as well as just being so bloody slow at it!

Or I play ships I truly enjoy and have learned to some degree but am left feeling like I wasted my time even though I had good matches and log off satisfied with my session.

HOW DO you folks do it? What is the secret? Pick one class & nation and gogogogogogo? Play game after game in X ship? Pick a Premium and have a few sessions of credit grinding/Cpt retraining?

I watch videos in the hopes to gain knowledge and improve - how to's, tips & tricks and such as well as read the forums. I try to emulate these methods and I'm severely punished. I watch unicum's play and it's like everyone just ignores them 1/2 the time, sails blissfully broadside for cit after cit or has potato aim vs them. Heh so weird.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,129 posts
10,015 battles

I got all the Tier 10 BBs and go the Gearing and DesMoines. Now looking at a couple other lines to try out. I have three 19pt captains, Jack Dunkirk, Yamamoto, and 1 USN guy (not Seagal, which was done being offered before I started the game), I am working up an 18pt DKM commander then who knows? I am leaning towards Moskva for the next Tier 10, perhaps. 

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
3 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

I have more ships, T10 DDs, CAs, CLs, and BBs included, than I have time or motivation to play.  

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,047 posts
9,275 battles

I overcame the disease by finally getting all the 10s and "beating" the game. However as a result I have quite a few 10s with 20 or less battles in them and both T10 CVs with no random battles at all lol. 

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles

You could just take a break if you are getting worn out.

[PVE]
Members
5,307 posts
17,747 battles

I found that concentrating on smaller, easily obtainable goals is quite helpful. The campaigns were a good place to start. The good thing about that was grinding my 19 point captains, two things I could do at the same time. Now that I have a 19 pointer for each major nation and all the campaigns done, there seems little point to play. Don't care about the tier 10's although I plan on getting one to park in my port to farm the annual rewards of owning one. There really isn't anything in the game that interests me mission wise, so I tend just to play enough games to farm my two containers and oil and then play something that is more fun. Playing for the third container is just too much like work and I really don't care enough to do it.

A big problem with this game is the monotony of it all. PvP or PvE, just the same old thing over and over and over again. Operations are fun for the two or three games required to farm the rewards as well as the special events but if you need more than 6 games to complete them, they get boring fast. The missions are always pretty much the same thing, just a grind so I always have to decide whether I want any of the crap being offered. With huge reserves of signals, premium consumables, credits, and 10 point captains of almost every nation, I find most missions are not worth the time required. Without a commitment to my clan, I wouldn't bother playing nearly as much as I do.

Edited by Taylor3006