You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

A boatload of questions

8 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Just getting back to the game (left off with tier 5 battleships USN, IJN, and KM) and Im still trying to solve the ammunition choice question. I think it would help if I could get a rock solid answer as to what the detailed banners each are. When I hit a ship (With AP) 4 banners pop up. The second is non-pen, the 4th is ricochet, and the third I assume is over pen, is the first a pen? Also, overpen would be like my 800 damage rolls (In tier 5) correct? My pens are upwards of 2k? How can I tell which is which? Also when thrown in a tier 7 game, should I be loading AP or HE? Seems like 30 seconds reload is too long just to go swapping shells in and out

Secondly, does the dynamic crosshairs give your lead based on the enemy ships speed, or is it just an approximation?

I probably over-noob'd this, Im not a total buffoon, but my damage numbers are  pretty low, and I cant seem to be doing a whole lot with my salvos

Thanks!

MCCIV

Edited by MCCIV

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

The first one is a normal pen. The shell has penetrated the armor into non-vital spaces and does 1/3 max rated damage.

The second one is a shatter. The armor is too thick, the shell has not penetrated and does no damage.

The third is overpen. The shell has gone in one side and out the other either without the fuse triggering or the shell exiting the other side of the ship before the fuse runs its course and detonates the shell. 1/10 damage.

The fourth is ricochet. Functioanlly the same as shatter, though ricochet happens when the impact angle is too high and the shell doesn't 'bite into' the armor.

Your ammo choice question: depends on what you're driving and what you're shooting at. Proper ammo choice is the mark of a good player. You mention '30 second reload' so I'm guessing you're driving a battleship. Rule of thumb is: HE at destroyers, AP at broadside battleships and all cruisers, HE at bow-on battleships - but even there are exceptions depending on range, caliber, target, etc.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles
24 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

Just getting back to the game (left off with tier 5 battleships USN, IJN, and KM) and Im still trying to solve the ammunition choice question. I think it would help if I could get a rock solid answer as to what the detailed banners each are. When I hit a ship (With AP) 4 banners pop up. The second is non-pen, the 4th is ricochet, and the third I assume is over pen, is the first a pen? Also, overpen would be like my 800 damage rolls (In tier 5) correct? My pens are upwards of 2k? How can I tell which is which? Also when thrown in a tier 7 game, should I be loading AP or HE? Seems like 30 seconds reload is too long just to go swapping shells in and out

I believe the AP detailed hit banners are: normal penetration (33% listed damage), shatter (0% listed damage) , over penetration (10% listed damage), and ricochet (0% listed damage). Citadel hits (100% listed damage) are separate black banners when your AP shell's fuze goes off inside the ship's citadell area. There is no damage roll, damage might be slightly different than listed if the section of the ship you are trying to hit is saturated. 

HE shells do not ricochet and penetration is purely based on the thickness of the armor that was hit with 1/6 shell diameter for most penetration and 1/4 if  UK BB or KM CA, and whether or not someone have IFHE captain skill. HE only does damage if it penetrates, or set fires.

For details: See http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

There is no absolute choice for AP or HE, in general BB wants to stick to AP and aim for either waterline or upper deck when broadsides, and aim at super structure if target is bow-on. HE is a competitive option if target BB is bow-on tanking, or if you are in a UK BB, but you'll get better mileage even w/ UK BBs if you are good about predicting ammo choices that is best for the situation. For BB, you'll just have to anticipate what is better as reload is too long for your to actively switch even with expert loader skill. This is intended, as the Devs want people to think about ammo choices unlike WoT where AP is better 99% of the time so there is no clear cut ammo type you should use for every situation. This is the same for all tiers for BB, and IMO AP on CA becomes more and more viable as you increase in tier.

24 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

Secondly, does the dynamic crosshairs give your lead based on the enemy ships speed, or is it just an approximation?

Dynamic based on Zoom level, you will have to adjust for target speed whether you are using static or dynamic

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,442 battles
12 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

Also when thrown in a tier 7 game, should I be loading AP or HE? Seems like 30 seconds reload is too long just to go swapping shells in and out

Depend on the situation, how you place ... you can get different damage bonus based on which ammo type you use

Remember, if the ship is angle in into you, your AP will bounce = ricochet, but the HE will hit and fire damage

Capt skills Expert Loader and Adrenaline Rush can help reduce the reload of the main battery to 15 second, and any % further when you take damage base on your HP

Higher tier have main battery mod 3 which reduce the reload of shell on main guns, but that is like t9/t10

Members
2,437 posts
12,175 battles
17 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

I probably over-noob'd this, Im not a total buffoon, but my damage numbers are  pretty low, and I cant seem to be doing a whole lot with my salvos

Thanks!

MCCIV

Nah, the greatest minds ask more questions than give opinions. welcome back, hope you stay!

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,216 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Your ammo choice question: depends on what you're driving and what you're shooting at. Proper ammo choice is the mark of a good player

Exactly. OP, you should be & likely will be switching Ammo types in any battle. The 30 seconds isn't that long & can be modified down. Plan accordingly.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
3 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Exactly. OP, you should be & likely will be switching Ammo types in any battle.

Just remember that there will be situations where you wish you'd had the other type in your breech - in that case either just empty your barrels at the target anyways, or find another ship that your loaded ammo is better against.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, MCCIV said:

Thanks!

MCCIV

My understanding is static guns approximate a speed of "seconds of shell flight time with a target doing 20knots perpendicular to your field of view." 

Dynamic is seconds of flight time with a target doing 30knots perpendicular. 

So look at the shell flight time indicator (let's say 5 seconds.) So with a ship doing 30 knots perpendicular to your view you would put the number 5 dash from the dynamic crosshair on the point of the target you want to hit. With smaller targets you almost need to double that since it's scaled more for larger targets. The static crosshair doesn't scale with your zoom- which is one reason why I prefer the dynamic. 

You need to adjust slightly with geometry to compensate for ships moving towards you and away- or faster or slower than the stated speed. Watch a ships smoke. If it's going over the stern or at the stern that ship is doing full speed. About halfway between stack and stern it's doing about half speed... etc.

Edited by ENO75