You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

Pan Asian South Korea flag / ROK

45 comments in this topic

Members
0 posts

Ok, I know that a bunch of carebears got all pissy about Taiwan flags being on the new Pan Asian line DDs and that WG replaced them with a very Chinese looking (same colors and such) flag.

What about the South Korean flagged Pan Asian ships?  Are they keeping the ROK flags on them?  Last I checked, China did not have claims on South Korea or her flag!  Then again, I am sure they found someone that is "offended" by it.

dnC8Pcx.gif

I am proud of my heritage!  Those that seek to suppress it can get %^#$$#@!!!!

Zd5mhif.jpg

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

Don't let them get you down.  If you know anything about China you knew that this propaganda campaign against the RoC's flag would happen just as you know it's irrelevant (all WW2 nation flags are banned in their games).

look up the two cent brigade

Members
0 posts
3 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

(all WW2 nation flags are banned in their games)

Not all, some nations considered Russia a war criminal during and at the end of WW2, yet the Russian flag flies!

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles

Does anyone know if the ROCN and the PLAN ever exchanged fire or only patrolled against each other and encroaching small ships?

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,195 posts
2,029 battles

Unfortunately not. Because of this debacle, every nation who's flag flies under the Pan-Asian banner now has to use the Pan-Asian flag.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles
2 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Does anyone know if the ROCN and the PLAN ever exchanged fire or only patrolled against each other and encroaching small ships?

I don't know about that but they have had air combats in the past.  The reason I know is that, if memory serves me correctly, the first air to air missile kill was between the PRC and RoC's respective air forces.

• Cool 1

Members
0 posts
1 minute ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Unfortunately not. Because of this debacle, every nation who's flag flies under the Pan-Asian banner now has to use the Pan-Asian flag.

Why didn't WG at least make a neutral (COLOR) flag!  Simply change the gold dragon to a gold stars and you have...

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles

No matter what they changed it to, someone would be upset over it.  On the plus side, I read a rumor on Reddit somewhere that we might end up getting some sort of flag customization out of this eventually.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
12 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

The Pan-Asia flag, which just happens to be the PROCN flag.

It's meant to pander to the Chinese server. That's all. No sense hiding what it is.

• Cool 1

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,802 posts
18,744 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

No matter what they changed it to, someone would be upset over it.  On the plus side, I read a rumor on Reddit somewhere that we might end up getting some sort of flag customization out of this eventually.

That would be nice . Then I can change the German flag to what it should be red black and white ! ! !

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
478 posts
6,376 battles

I am with you OP.

The South Korean and the flag of Taiwan are perfectly fine.  Given that the ships represented are before the one China crap anyway (1972). 

On the issue of the Soviet flag/markings, that has already been brought up in WoT and was ignored by WG.  Belarus suffered at Soviet hands you would think they would be more sensitive to this.  However, I am certain they would have the same pressures from the RU server as they did with the Chinese players (cough cough, government paid to provoke fanbois).

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

They are still sputtering their "one China" nonsense over on Steam. This is a global game. Nobody outside of the PRoC even cares. We tolerate the polite fiction that Taiwan is not a real country and now it's infected a game. Sad.

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles
26 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I don't know about that but they have had air combats in the past.  The reason I know is that, if memory serves me correctly, the first air to air missile kill was between the PRC and RoC's respective air forces.

Can you tell this story? I wanna hear it. 

--

So technically, these forces have been in live hostilities before. (War might not be the right term). They literally shoot at each other. 

If Loyang and Anshan met in the Taiwan strait, they'd likely be shooting each other. (Well maybe, there's also a chance in easier times they might not care that much). 

Edited by BlailBlerg

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles
6 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

They are still sputtering their "one China" nonsense over on Steam. This is a global game. Nobody outside of the PRoC even cares. We tolerate the polite fiction that Taiwan is not a real country and now it's infected a game. Sad.

WG doesn't want to get banned from the Chinese market for not pushing the party line out of Beijing.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

I'm speaking from memory and I read this eight years ago, but it shouldn't be hard to find.  Basically what happened was that we gave F-86 Sabres to the RoC Air Force and they scored the first air to air missile kill in a skirmish with the mainland.  This had something to do with leading to the short lived missile only doctrine which the "wiz kids" (today we would simply call them low functioning autists) of the Vietnam era tried pushing for.  I really don't remember any more than that - just a military anecdote, sort of like the first time we used an ATGM was actually from a helicopter.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

That's very disappointing. I wonder if the individual flags still exist in the files or if they re-did them all to point to a single flag. 

If they made all the individual flags look the same, but kept them as unique resources, you could mod them back to being correct. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

Look, I agree the flag should be different, however the flag they got is the same that's been in game to signify the Pan-Asia tree when all it was, and possibly would ever have been, was 2 premium DD's and not wanting to have problems. I even agree that the ship's should have their national flags. But at the end of the day, Wargaming is a business. The deciding factor is not what's right, what's wrong, politics, or any of that, it's money, then law.

You have to think like a CEO and all to understand it, much as it may suck. They can either go national flags, and possibly lose an entire server of business, regardless of if they change it just for that one, or they can give it one flag, that will tick people off, maybe lose them some income, but is easily remedied by the community itself with mods.

It was a no win scenario for Wargaming, either way, no matter what they did with this, people were going to get angry, take offense, etc,so it came down to a very simple question - which course loses us less money. We argue over other historic, and even a currently used, flag, but they are kept out because of legal issues and the money they'd lose.

Edited by WanderingGhost

[CVA16]
Members
2,749 posts
6,245 battles

Being from Texas when we succeed from the union can I take off the American flag and fly the Texas flag?

• Cool 1

Members
0 posts
4 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

WG doesn't want to get banned from the Chinese market for not pushing the party line out of Beijing.

Or the party line out of Moscow, their flag flies yet there are those that are OFFENDED by it!

I wonder if I could get the Japanese market in an up roar over a flag that flies then and today!?!

x0fgcpN.gif

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
5 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Do you think the dodge of a neutral flag satisfied them? It did not. There will be Taiwanese ships in the game, and they just can't stand it. Trying to be more inclusive has backfired as far as the Chinese market is concerned. Meanwhile, I'm having fun playing ships belonging to my country's direst enemies.

Beta Testers
478 posts
6,376 battles
2 minutes ago, Minah_Bang said:

Or the party line out of Moscow, their flag flies yet there are those that are OFFENDED by it!

I wonder if I could get the Japanese market in an up roar over a flag that flies then and today!?!

x0fgcpN.gif

That is the flag that flies on Japanese ships today and it's fine. 

While WG chooses to not use the current (and past) naval flag is silly.  I am certain this has been mentioned before though, at lenght

Members
0 posts
13 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I even agree that the ship's should have their national flags. But at the end of the day, Wargaming is a business. The deciding factor is not what's right, what's wrong, politics, or any of that, it's money, then law.

So...what is the business "issue" with this flag and why remove it?

dnC8Pcx.gif

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
38 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/552990/discussions/0/3183345000083057521/

Based on this statement it seems like you will eventually be able to replace the totally not China flag with other generic flags!

wheeeeeeee

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles
9 minutes ago, Minah_Bang said:

So...what is the business "issue" with this flag and why remove it?

Just an innocent bystander caught in the RoC / PRoC crossfire, that's all.  Easier to mod the entire line to be the dragon flag thing, I guess.