You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alexf24

What are these red and white balls on French cruisers?

37 comments in this topic

Members
6,624 posts
25,266 battles

I may have missed this answer before, so what are these for?

(example from Friant)

Boz4TBZ.png

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

I don't know what it is but based off an assumption I think it is something buoyant :p.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,925 battles
Just now, NashW8 said:

Sonar array? Wild guess since they have Hydro...

Rather odd. Should at least be in the water, towed or otherwise. 

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
2 minutes ago, NashW8 said:

Sonar array? Wild guess since they have Hydro...

I like that idea.  I was wondering if they could be a device lowered into the water to protect the props from being fouled by something.

Members
80 posts
3,045 battles

While we're talking about mysterious doohickeys, does anybody have any idea what the heck these torpedo-shaped things are on many BBs and CAs? (This is one of them on NM's B turret.) I'm guessing they're some kind of stand-in for towed hydrophone arrays, but I can't seem to find any IRL photo showing them (and plus they appear identical across nations), so I'm wondering if they're just a design element that WG uses to fill in empty space?

maxresdefault.jpg

[SIMP]
Members
991 posts

Well since the Friant is fake  - and a Tier 5 ship at Tier 3 - I would say that those are the boxes holding the Mimes that supercharge the ship to unheard of power.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles
2 minutes ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

While we're talking about mysterious doohickeys, does anybody have any idea what the heck these torpedo-shaped things are on many BBs and CAs? (This is one of them on NM's B turret.) I'm guessing they're some kind of stand-in for towed hydrophone arrays, but I can't seem to find any IRL photo showing them (and plus they appear identical across nations), so I'm wondering if they're just a design element that WG uses to fill in empty space?

maxresdefault.jpg

Paravanes.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,348 battles
3 minutes ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

maxresdefault.jpg

those are Paravenes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paravane_(weapon)

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,312 posts
5 minutes ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

That's an Oropesa Paravane, it's a float used for minesweeping (Same basic principle as the Oropesa, I was close! I haven't had my wine this morning!)
MinesweepingDiagram.jpg

• Cool 3

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,312 posts

My best guess is some kind of floatation device like a lifesaver ring

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

That's an Oropesa, it's a float used for minesweeping
MinesweepingDiagram.jpg

First time I've ever seen anything that actually help me understand how a paravane, (or whatever,) was actually supposed to work...

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles
1 minute ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

2Rsl2E5.gif

Well, that's one mystery solved. Thanks!

DON'T DO IT INDY! STEAL THAT UPVOTE AND THE FORUMS WILL COLLAPSE!!!

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,195 battles
28 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I may have missed this answer before, so what are these for?

(example from Friant)

Boz4TBZ.png

They're lifesavers/position markers for a man overboard situation. They could be remotely dropped from the bridge, so when the bridge heard the "man overboard" call, they'd drop them into the water so the overboard sailor could 1) swim to them and have something to float with and 2) be easier to spot in the recovery efforts.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
20 minutes ago, PelicanHazard said:

They're lifesavers/position markers for a man overboard situation. They could be remotely dropped from the bridge, so when the bridge heard the "man overboard" call, they'd drop them into the water so the overboard sailor could 1) swim to them and have something to float with and 2) be easier to spot in the recovery efforts.

I guess when you've been sitting on the fantail on one of those park benches drinking wine, this becomes a prudent safety measure.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,469 posts
6,648 battles

Would the red balls position correspond to the outer limits of the underwater props? They would be warning device perhaps, for tugs, other craft and when docking.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,567 battles
33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Something related to the park benches?

You sure its not related to the Bicycle?